BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some strange issues with the ambient temp sensor. Most of the time, it reads a little high (5-10 degrees). Not worried about that. But recently it's started flaking out after about 20 minutes of driving. It will go from 80 to 40 to 50 to 5, etc. All over the place in rapid succession. Usually it will sort itself out after a minute or two and go back to normal. The other issue I'm having with it is if I sit with the car running for 5 minutes or so, it will start flaking out in the same way. Usually when parked it's a little more stable - less fluctuation, but it doesn't seem to resolve itself like it does when I'm driving. Shutting off the car and letting it sit will resolve everything as well. Whenever this happens, the A/C shuts off, which is usually my first indication that it's going on. Being that I live in Phoenix, this is not an ideal situation :)

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what this could be. I've already replaced the temp sensor twice with the same results...

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,229 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The ambient temp sensor is probably filled with dust, try vacuum through the vent holes first, otherwise you need to take the AC unit out (cupholders first) and clean the little magnetic fan and the ambient sensor manually.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The ambient temp sensor is probably filled with dust, try vacuum through the vent holes first, otherwise you need to take the AC unit out (cupholders first) and clean the little magnetic fan and the ambient sensor manually.
I think that they mean the ambient outdoor temperature sensor that is on the bottom of the pork chop (under-car cover) for the RHS front wheel that is between the belly pan and the wheel liner.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct - it's the outdoor sensor. I'm going to trace/check the wiring tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm having some strange issues with the ambient temp sensor. Most of the time, it reads a little high (5-10 degrees). Not worried about that. But recently it's started flaking out after about 20 minutes of driving. It will go from 80 to 40 to 50 to 5, etc. All over the place in rapid succession. Usually it will sort itself out after a minute or two and go back to normal. The other issue I'm having with it is if I sit with the car running for 5 minutes or so, it will start flaking out in the same way. Usually when parked it's a little more stable - less fluctuation, but it doesn't seem to resolve itself like it does when I'm driving. Shutting off the car and letting it sit will resolve everything as well. Whenever this happens, the A/C shuts off, which is usually my first indication that it's going on. Being that I live in Phoenix, this is not an ideal situation :)

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what this could be. I've already replaced the temp sensor twice with the same results...
I just posted this yesterday about my temp sensor, but in an ongoing thread. Good info in here that you and I need to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts