BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Amsterdam parking

1631 13
Hey guys,

We plan on staying in Amsterdam during our ED for one night only. Anyone here familiar with the parking situation near the city center? Can anyone recommend a parking garage?

Thank you
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
We made AMS our last stop and dropped the car before we hit the city. I do know that Hotel Pulitzer has valet, but I'm sure it is expensive as it would be at any of the other major hotels.

Anyway to leave the car at your previous stop or outside the city and take a train in?

I also had no desire to drive in Amsterdam. I would have ended up in the tram lane!!

Andrew
Thanks for the advice. Leaving the car outside the city might be a good idea.
We made AMS our last stop and dropped the car before we hit the city. I do know that Hotel Pulitzer has valet, but I'm sure it is expensive as it would be at any of the other major hotels.

Anyway to leave the car at your previous stop or outside the city and take a train in?

I also had no desire to drive in Amsterdam. I would have ended up in the tram lane!!

Andrew
We've parked in long term parking at the airport, easy to find but then you need to take a shuttle to the terminal to catch the train.

There is parking right by Sloterdyke, and from there it's a quick train or metro ride into the city center.

I'd risk driving into town and parking in the Europapark that's just outsdie the center ring of canals, close to Leidseplein.
In 2008, I parked in a nice new underground parking structure just to east of the main train station.

Passenger Terminal Amsterdam - PTA
Oostelijke Handelskade 1
capacity: 449
open: 7.00 a.m. - 1.00 a.m., please note that it is always possible to leave the parking; 7 days a week.
rates: hourly ***8364; 2,00, daily ***8364; 20,-;
info: 020 4191689

That said, Amsterdam's center was my least favorite place to drive, even including Rome and Paris.
Three years ago we parked in the parking garage at the Heineken Brewery which is pretty central (you can walk to downtown or take the tram). Id on't recall the exact pricing but it was reasonable.
Thank you all for the very helpful answers. I now have options.
This would be another good option. Stadhouderskade is a major road, and relatively easy to navigate, and there is a tram stop right on the corner if you have lots of bags. Walking is indeed a nice option, but a bit of a haul with luggage.

Which direction are you coming from?
Three years ago we parked in the parking garage at the Heineken Brewery which is pretty central (you can walk to downtown or take the tram). Id on't recall the exact pricing but it was reasonable.
http://www.amsterdam.info/parking/
you park in your choice of these P+Rs they also give you a voucher for ground transportation to and from the parking.
works great, since you really don't want to drive inside amsterdam
I just posted the following last week:

I've been fortunate to take two business trips to northern Germany (Dusseldorf, Cologne, Aachen and Alfeld) over the past couple of months, and I just flew out of Amsterdam on Sunday. If you intend to drive in the city center of Amsterdam, I would urge you to avoid peak traffic times. Between the narrow streets, canals, street cars, cars, mopeds and TENS of THOUSANDS of bicycles and pedestrians.... it made driving in Italy seem like a country outing. I was in a rental car, but if I was driving my own ED BMW, I would have been quite nervous.

My advice is to do what others have suggested - park outside of the city and take the train in.
That one should work. Thank you so much everyone.
http://www.amsterdam.info/parking/
you park in your choice of these P+Rs they also give you a voucher for ground transportation to and from the parking.
works great, since you really don't want to drive inside amsterdam
True dat.

I dropped off my car in AMS in late July (and it's STILL THERE! But that's another story) because the bikes make driving in the center of the city a nightmare. I am not shy about driving in the urban cores of European cities...I'll even do central Rome or Paris. But never AMS. It's too much happening all at once for a non-local to deal with.

Besides, this might happen to you.
I just posted the following last week:

I've been fortunate to take two business trips to northern Germany (Dusseldorf, Cologne, Aachen and Alfeld) over the past couple of months, and I just flew out of Amsterdam on Sunday. If you intend to drive in the city center of Amsterdam, I would urge you to avoid peak traffic times. Between the narrow streets, canals, street cars, cars, mopeds and TENS of THOUSANDS of bicycles and pedestrians.... it made driving in Italy seem like a country outing. I was in a rental car, but if I was driving my own ED BMW, I would have been quite nervous.

My advice is to do what others have suggested - park outside of the city and take the train in.
We did this and it was great! Safe, cheap and covered. Got a nice corner spot for four days.

The Park and Ride (P+R) Olympisch Stadion (Olympic Stadium) parking facilities are located on the outskirts of Amsterdam near the ring A-10. The idea is that you park your car for a low fee of € 8,- per 24 hours
Stayed at the Marriott 4 years ago. Secure, underground parking. In museum district, not sure how far from "downtown"
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.