Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that everyone here is a BMW freak of sorts...

What are your other passions?

Some ride mountain bikes, some ride snowboards, while others, well...
:p

Personally, I go through phases where I am obsessed with one particular activity, and then it's something else. Some (e.g. surfing, skiing (water & snow), and deep-sea fishing are always occupying the deepest catacombs of my psyche. This year I re-discovered my passion for motocross - something I hadn't been "into" since my pre-teen years. The best part is now being able to turn my son onto this sport (he's now 12).

When I was 12:

1972 - damn I'm getting old!

What are you into, and how long have you been doing it?
:dunno:

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Same here Jon, my hobbies change like the seasons.

In the past:
Water skiing (Since 5 yrs old)
Skydiving (began at 20)
Anything to do with boats(since I was born!)
motorcycling (Since 16)
Hiking(since 18)
Snow skiing(Since 4 )
Camping (Since I could walk)
Golf(Since 12)
Rockets(since 12)
Model airplane building(since 10)
Hunting (since age 8)

Present:
Showing my kids all the fun stuff there is to do in the world (they quite young yet)
hiking (short hikes that the kids can handle)
Fishing
Snow skiing
Camping
Computer flight sims
Mountain bike riding
Hunting (seasonal)

Edit: I didn't include excercise or weight lifting, since I don't consider that a hobby as much as I do consider it part of my daily life.

nice Pic of you Jon, you can still see the similarities of you as a young-un compared to you being an old fart today ;)

·
superwagon pilot
1,388 Posts
I wouldn't call them passions so much as hobbies/ how I spend my free time (which between work, grad school and a new house is seldom):

Winter Indoor Soccer -4yrs
Winter Weekends Downhill Skiing -8yrs
Summer Softball -8yrs
Summer Weekends Roadtrips to Hiking spots -all my life
Nature exploration (Steve "Croc Hunter" Irwin style) -all my life
Fishing -all my life

Occasionally kill some braincells playing my PS2

I love listening to music and if I had more money, I'd be a serious audiophile/home theater buff, but right now I don't have the space or cash to drop $12k on a good music/movie setup that I'd want.

·
Golf Fanatic
26 Posts
Some of mine:

- Golfing
- Snowboarding
- Fishing (deep sea -- Jon, where do you fish?)
- Traveling (am going to Costa Rica in October)
- Watching and playing sports -- football and basketball. Golf in particular. Golf especially. Did I mention Golf yet?
- Fantasy football and basketball
- Multi-player online games (anyone play CounterStrike?)
- Watching flix

Course, all of the above takes a backseat to my hectic work-life -- except for perhaps -- golf -- yeah right, I wish.... :rolleyes:

-Ed

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Jon's picture looks like a family of Malcolm Smith wanna be's (OK..Malcolm was an early influence on my life)

Earlier...Dirt Bikes, enduro's, model rockets, slot cars, baseball, BASKETTBALL (I'm 6"5")

Lately...Mountain bikes, sailing, motorboat, golf, bowling, RC boats (sail and power) want to try RC planes

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ed_rhyu said:
Some of mine:

- Golfing
- Snowboarding
- Fishing (deep sea -- Jon, where do you fish?)
- Traveling (am going to Costa Rica in October)
- Watching and playing sports -- football and basketball. Golf in particular. Golf especially. Did I mention Golf yet?
- Fantasy football and basketball
- Multi-player online games (anyone play CounterStrike?)
- Watching flix

Course, all of the above takes a backseat to my hectic work-life -- except for perhaps -- golf -- yeah right, I wish.... :rolleyes:

-Ed
Fishing???

Don't get me started...

I'm a "salt-water only" kind of guy. Central CA, Southern CA, and Mexico are my prime destinations.

Here's a few pics if you are intersted:
Fish Pics

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DougDogs said:
Jon's picture looks like a family of Malcolm Smith wanna be's (OK..Malcolm was an early influence on my life)

Earlier...Dirt Bikes, enduro's, model rockets, slot cars, baseball, BASKETTBALL (I'm 6"5")

Lately...Mountain bikes, sailing, motorboat, golf, bowling, RC boats (sail and power) want to try RC planes

You have me pegged Doug!

I must have seen "On Any Sunday" at least 17 times that year!!
:lmao:

·
Golf Fanatic
26 Posts
Jon Shafer said:

Fishing???

Don't get me started...

I'm a "salt-water only" kind of guy. Central CA, Southern CA, and Mexico are my prime destinations.

Here's a few pics if you are intersted:
Fish Pics
Um.... Yeah.... You are a nut. Those pix are awesome! I especially like the rooster fish and white sea bass... And some of those shots from the sixties with your family are pretty f*****n amazing.

I love to fish but its hard for me to find the time. The times I have gone have been local off charter boats -- huntington beach, longbeach, pierpoint landing, etc. Am dying to go to Cabo or Coronodo Islands in SD for that matter...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Jon Shafer said:

You have me pegged Doug!

I must have seen "On Any Sunday" at least 17 times that year!!
:lmao:
I wonder if anyone else on the board even knows what/who were talking about:dunno: :dunno:

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doug,

That bike in the background (an Indian) used to belong to Chad McQueen before it was my brother's...

Bruce Browne lives just North of here too; his son & daughter are friends of mine.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ed_rhyu said:

I love to fish but its hard for me to find the time. The times I have gone have been local off charter boats -- huntington beach, longbeach, pierpoint landing, etc. Am dying to go to Cabo or Coronodo Islands in SD for that matter...
You should join me for some Albacore out of Moro Bay in the fall!
With "El Nino" now going off (didya see the GIANT squid being caught down your way this week?), it figures to really get hot come September.

I can't wait until next month, though.

iVoy a pescar en Mexico!

Maybe a GIANT yellowfin???
:yikes:

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Mostly I like to just sit around and watch tv (is there any more worthwhile activity?) while drinking beer (Budweiser is my all-time favorite).

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Jon Shafer said:
Doug,

That bike in the background (an Indian) used to belong to Chad McQueen before it was my brother's...

Bruce Browne lives just North of here too; his son & daughter are friends of mine.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

I used to have a Ossa 250, a couple of Rickmans, couple of Suzuki's...always wanted a husky.....Never owned a "street" bike, but, years of dirt riding saved my like once. (was almost a part of a multi-vechile accident on a main road. Instincts took over, locked the rear for a split second, let go of brake and swerved around a van I was tailgating. I almost had "FORD" inbedded into my chest)

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
What are my other passions? You mean I need another hobby besides cars?

Does racing count? :dunno:

I play racquetball, the violin (made it to state orchestra way back in high school), love listening to music in general (peter gabriel...), counting money (both professionally and personally), however whenever I have a spare moment I'm almost always reading/thinking/dreaming about cars.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts