BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But SaabUSA. Even after my repeated calls to be removed from the mailing list, they still send me brochures, tempting me for a test drive. :tsk:

And today, I received another brochure in the mail, giving me a chance to win the new 93. Plus a test drive at none other than Santa Monica SAAB. Oh, they sent me a small poster of the new 93, which I must say, I like it very much...opps... :eeps:

Ok, I have a weak, soft spot for SAAB cars. I have a friend who used to drive an old 93 and would let me drive it from time to time. Now that he moved back to Singapore and even without the chance of driving his SAAB, I am still very excited about the car. Its rather unusual cockpit and interior design caught my attention. To me, there are only two car manufacturers at the LA auto show: BMW and SAAB. There is also this certain charismatic-ness about SAAB that really intriques me even after I had my BMW for almost 1.5 years now. Which I don't know how to explain....or where to start to explain. Is anyone here in this situation like I am? Or have been in this situation?

Now what prevented me from buying it is that they are front-wheel driven. And oh, I get really affected if the dealer sucks (which of course SM SAAB sucks REAL bad in terms of customer service).

Just pray that SAAB doesn't start to produce any rear-wheel driven models. That would totally put me in a very, very difficult situation.... :(

·
Registered
590 Posts
I usually don't like Saabs but that one is a pretty good looking car... For a Saab. Are they front wheel drive? I didn't know that. I thought Volvos were rear wheel drive so I test drove one and the tork steer was god awful.
-Lori

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:

There is also this certain charismatic-ness about SAAB that really intriques me even after I had my BMW for almost 1.5 years now.
Doood, this requires more therapy than your fixation with Alpina! :tsk: :tsk: :lmao: :lmao:

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
My cousin got a new Saab (convertible) at the same time I got my 330Ci. I like the way it looks, but when I drove it I was really disappointed. You could feel the weight (felt like a PIG), the chassis didn't feel solid at all (compared even to a Mustang GT convertible), and even worse it seemed really underpowered. My grandma's Lincoln Continental feels more planted around the curves and it definately feels more powerful than that Saab did. :tsk:

I wonder if the 93 will drive any better? It sure looks snazzy.

--SONET

·
Registered
229 Posts
Here's a bit of a cure for your fascination with SAAB: Just like the current 9-5, the new 9-3 is based on the Opel Omega platform. That platform is widely regarded as TERRIBLE.

I do agree though that SAABs are very interesting cars in their own way. Too bad they are engineered around crappy mainstream GM platforms.

·
Astigmatic Visionary
2,802 Posts
Given their history it's pretty unlikely that Saab will go RWD.Of course now being owned by GM anything is possible but I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
My grandfather had two *real* Saab 93s.

1,786 lbs
748cc
33 HP
Iron block w/ aluminum head (2 stroke)

0-60 MPH 33.9 seconds
Standing mile 24.9 seconds
Average Fuel Consumption 32.4 MPG

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Capitalist said:
Here's a bit of a cure for your fascination with SAAB: Just like the current 9-5, the new 9-3 is based on the Opel Omega platform. That platform is widely regarded as TERRIBLE.

I do agree though that SAABs are very interesting cars in their own way. Too bad they are engineered around crappy mainstream GM platforms.
No, the Opel Omega platform is RWD, and sits underneath the old Catera and (in a modified version) the Holden. The 9-5 is FWD.

The 9-3 is based on entirely new platform architecture. It is shared with other GM products, including the new Opel Vectra, but it is not a terrible platform. As I posted elsewhere, the driving dynamics of the 9-3 are very, very good for a FWD sedan.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lori said:
I usually don't like Saabs but that one is a pretty good looking car... For a Saab. Are they front wheel drive? I didn't know that. I thought Volvos were rear wheel drive so I test drove one and the tork steer was god awful.
-Lori
They used to be. I have an '88 RWD Swedish Brick. The exact cutoff seems to be the 850 (Just before the letter scheme appeared.) In fact, my mom has an '00 S70, and before now, I could have sworn it was still RWD, but apparently not. That kind of sucks.

Alex

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Alexander said:

They used to be. I have an '88 RWD Swedish Brick. The exact cutoff seems to be the 850 (Just before the letter scheme appeared.) In fact, my mom has an '00 S70, and before now, I could have sworn it was still RWD, but apparently not. That kind of sucks.

Alex
Aren't those Volvos? We're talking Saab. :confused:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Jetfire said:

Aren't those Volvos? We're talking Saab. :confused:
It threw me for a second too, but I caught it before I posted something similar to what you posted. :p

G

·
JST said:

No, the Opel Omega platform is RWD, and sits underneath the old Catera and (in a modified version) the Holden. The 9-5 is FWD.

The 9-3 is based on entirely new platform architecture. It is shared with other GM products, including the new Opel Vectra, but it is not a terrible platform. As I posted elsewhere, the driving dynamics of the 9-3 are very, very good for a FWD sedan.
If they come out with a Viggen version of this platform that includes AWD, it might be very tempting. I've always loved Saab styling and attitude, just hated torque steer and FWD dynamics.

As BMW looks like it's not going to build another non-M drivers' car, much less another attractive car, I'm rooting for something like this to come to fruition.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
TD said:

If they come out with a Viggen version of this platform that includes AWD, it might be very tempting. I've always loved Saab styling and attitude, just hated torque steer and FWD dynamics.

As BMW looks like it's not going to build another non-M drivers' car, much less another attractive car, I'm rooting for something like this to come to fruition.
The dealer indicated that there will be a Viggen version, that it will have 300 hp, and that whether it would be F or AWD is still being determined. I say that dealers rarely know what's going on, but if there is a 300 hp Viggen version, it's NOT going to be FWD.

Given the impending S60R from cross-fjord rival Volvo, an AWD Viggen version makes some sense, but we'll see.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got an email today from SAAB and I thought I won the SAAB sport 93 already...

Hi Vincent,

I received your inquiry of interest for our new Saab 9-3 sports sedan. Please call me at 310-BMW-2-SAAB to schedule a test drive. We have many to choose from and the handling is amazing!

Best,
Elizabeth Obst
SAAB OF SANTA MONICA
Ok, fellow bimmians, I am going for the test drive. Cover me! :eek:

·
paddle shifter
931 Posts
I believe the Saab has paddle shifters.:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I´ve driven the 9-3. Only in 175 bhp-version because the 210 bhp isn´t out yet. My impressions is that it´s, of course, much better than the old one. Especially the chassi which is nice with nice handling and good steering. It´s also pretty comfortable. The gear-change is better than before but no match for a BMW. The biggest dissapointment was the engine. It didn´t feel quick at all and had a really boring character. A BMW 320i feels faster than this one. I don´t understand why they don´t equip the new 9-3 with the 250 bhp engine from the 9-5 right now. Other things that annoyed me was some interior glitches, some things were of pretty lousy quality and the display in the centre-console had text that looked like it came directly from an 80´s IBM. The Navigation-display will solve that problem but it isn´t available yet.

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
the one time i drove a Saab, it was very disappointing. i agree with you that they have a unique look/characteristic, that's what intrigued me to test drive one in the first place. but i gotta say after the test drive my curiosity ended pretty quickly...till now. why would you even consider a SAAB in the same league as a BMW?

let us know your thoughts after your test drive. still feel the same way?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts