BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
yee!
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And it begins....

Well a few days ago, the car said check engine coolant level...I checked it, and since I went to Disneyland on a very hot day the day before, I filled it up with coolant. And then now, a week later, my wife said the car was smoking on her way to school, she went to a friends house and left it there. I asked if the temp. gauge was high and she said it was barely over the middle. She shut it off at her friends house and she said the car said check coolant level. I hope it something very minor. This always happens to me, when I try to sell a car that is in perfect condition, well not perfect but well maintained, it craps out. I'll check it after work and update on this problem.

·
yee!
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Okay, finally I took a look at the car. I open the coolant reservoir cap and sees that it needs filling. I fill it up (not much), but the diagram on the cap looks like a floating dipstick, or something of that kind is suppose to float up which it didn't. So is it suppose to float up? Why would the car say "Check coolant level" when its pretty much full. Can somebody help me out here cause I check under the car and looked for any signs of leakage. Thanks in advance.

·
Fas kine Touring, Brah!
259 Posts
You probably got a busted radiator. Have the mechanic check the radiator and anything connected to it.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I dont want to be the bare of bad news but its a little more serious than a faulty sensor or whatever the bobbing thing is:dunno:

I think the question to ask is where the smoke was coming from. The tailpipe or under the hood?

Under hood
- bad hose
- bad radiator
- leak from somewhere

Talipipe
- just not good news (headgasket)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Check the filler neck on the radiator. They are made out of a plastic material and have been known to fail prematurely.

·
yee!
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
w5lx said:
Check the filler neck on the radiator. They are made out of a plastic material and have been known to fail prematurely.
What do you mean by that?

Okay, I checked the all the hoses that connect to the radiator and looked around the engine bay but seen no coolant residue. Then I wiped all the hoses I checked earlier with a rag then I was squezing the upper raidiator hose (which is on driver side) to see if any leaks were visable. I heard a noise coming from the left of the radiator, then I located it...it was the cap of the coolant reservoir. Is it suppose to be leaking air? And also back to the floating thing in the reservoir...is it suppose to be floating up when full? because mine is not doing so. How would I fix that? And the final question for now...can either the floater thing or the cap with a bad seal(I'm guessing) cause my car to say "Check Coolant Level"?

·
Registered
979 Posts
The neck on the plastic reservoir has been known to crack and leak out hot fluid. The fluid level should be within an inch or so from the top of the neck with the top of the float sticking up and showing when you remove the cap. It should not leak air...the one in my 530i does not. The manual explains what it should look like very well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The floater in the reservoir will not cause a "check coolant level" signal. It's just a level indicator as mine broke off at the point where the floater and plastic rod joints. When that happens, the indicator rod will stay down even your coolant level is okay. When I pulled out the indicator rod, it actually disintegrated right between my fingers! If you can pull the indicator rod right out of the reservoir tank, then yours is broken too. I ended up replacing the tank as its part of the tank assembly.
I would suggest replacing your rad cap as mine doesn't leak air either and is well pressurized when the rad is "hot"

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
make sure your 'bobber' isn't stuck, push it down with your finger (with engine cool of course). Look on the side of the resevior to see where your level of fluid is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts