BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the driver side brake light died last saturday...and today the passenger side light died too. I hope my car is not dying...

Taking my car in for Inspection I on Thursday, its already overdue by like 700 miles (had to make a trip to PA this past weekend). Thats the earliest appointment I could get when I made it like 3 weeks ago. My baby should be able to survive another day....

Any ideas why my bulbs are failing all of a sudden? Do these bulbs just get old and die after a year and a half or so? That would explain why both of them failed around the same time. Or maybe just a weird coincidence?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Teej said:
the driver side brake light died last saturday...and today the passenger side light died too. I hope my car is not dying...
LOL, no it's not dying :D . Happened to me too a few times, like every bulb they have a limited life. I always have a few spare bulbs in the trunk.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
All of my first car's bulbs (81 Datsun) but 2 lasted the whole 15 years or so my family owned the car. :dunno:

My last car had 1 taillight bulb blow out in its 7 years.

I would expect these cars with more tightly regulated electrical systems would help bulbs last longer.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Driving my car has been pretty difficult today. Seeing these two red lights for the two failed bulbs on both sides, and this piece of folded paper stuck inbetween the airbag cover and steering wheel to get rid of the irritating rattling, the sunroof sometimes not behaving properly (sometimes when the sunroof is closing and I turn my car off, it starts opening up again), and this weird sound I heard for the first time today...sounded like someone was knocking from inside the trunk...no I checked to make sure I had disposed of the body I had in there before. But it didn't happen again, could have been a different car behind or next to me when I was stopped at the light, cuz thats the only time it happened...so far. Hmm..what else...oh and the steering that moves in steps while coming back to center around 35-45mph. And of course a couple of minor rattles from somewhere...
Not to forget the stupid key that sometimes doesn't unlock all the doors. Have to lock and try again, and even that doesn't work sometimes. Then have to unlock from inside..pretty embarrasing.

That really is all I can think of right now...

·
Registered
344 Posts
My friend's 330i is always blowing lights.

She goes through a new fog or brake light every month or so. They keep telling her it's normal. Neither of my e46s has ever lost a light. :dunno:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts