BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy was i pleased to see my brand spanking new 2013 328 x drive in the driveway when i got home from vacation. getting into a sedan was more of a life decision and im happy i made it! dont have to worry about potholes anymore like i did with my 08 328i (coupe).

and of course i was stoked to be able to sync my phone to the onboard computer and not kill myself trying to browse though my playlist, boy was i wrong.

it turns out that those of us who get the non-navi package are kinda screwed in the bluetooth audio department. the system supports phone calls but sadly no music.

i've spent the past 2 weeks chasing every corner, from messaging bmw coders, talking to dealership, the fine folks who sell combox's, and trying a variety of bluetooth dongles purchased from amazon.

Here is what i've found

- iphone 5 - you cannot use a standard iphone cable to plug in to the computer and use native music browsing, you have to buy a Y cable. I understand you can purchase from bmw but i got from amazon for $18 and it works swimmingly. Remember, you MUST have the 30 pin-thunderbolt adapter if your using an iphone 5.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P6DGMK/ref=col_PCx2EbCGIYSYARjJhbSLGVRhQ

- bluetooth- I searched long and hard for a bluetooth dongle that would :
- automatically power up when car powered up (many of them have to be switched on, which is a hassle)
- did not have a microphone (with a mic installed, the dongle will fight the car's firmware for dominance over the mic resulting in not really being able to seamlessly make phone calls from the cars native instrumentation)
- played music (this is obvious)

I tried 2 options, first a device called an mPOW, which worked fine but had a mic and didnt power on so was a no go. which brings me to the winner: the miccus

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038MA11U/ref=col_PCx2EbCGIYSYARjJhbSLGVRhQ

The miccus works perfectly, the second i get in my car, my phone syncs to both the bmw and miccus bluetooth networks, i can stream on the go, and make/grab calls right from my car's installed mic/speakers.

So it isnt perfect, but short of spending $1000+ on a combox retrofit OR $1900+ upgrading the navi (this is a leased car), im happy with the <$50 investment to get me where i need to be!

Hope this helps and feel free to msg me if any questions

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the YCable and Bluetooth dongle i have the option of browsing my iTunes playlists natively, or just playing another app (havent tried the bmw connected app yet as just got this to work today)

That said, i have the bluetooth dongle (miccus) powered by the USB port in the glovebox and plugged into the AUX input.

hope that answers...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think its about as good as your gonna get with bluetooth, the miccus is supposed to do 30 feet, and i can tell you that from previous experience with other dongles, it does a great job (havent tested 30 feet yet :)). That said, alot of it depends on source files, sometimes the stuff in my spotify playlist is web rip so the quality will not be as good (and ive noticed that as ive browsed through a few songs and noticed big audio quality delta)

·
Registered
15 Posts
does the steering wheel control work at all with the miccus set up? i don't really need the track sorting info on the idrive screen but would like to be able to advance songs from the steering wheel. i usually have it on random or iTunes radio so would be good to skip songs easily without having to go to the phone interface.

·
Super Moderator
3,655 Posts
I am concerned that a computer virus or malware will harm my car. I'd prefer not to introduce too many things to the car, if possible.

Is this being too cautious?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am concerned that a computer virus or malware will harm my car. I'd prefer not to introduce too many things to the car, if possible.

Is this being too cautious?
hey dave

and im not the smartest guy to answer this, but you can already plug a usb stick into the car and upgrade the firmware, that said, the BMW OS should ONLY allow firmware written in its language/encryption so i dont think viruses should be an issue. THat said, people can edit the car's firmware with a specific set of tools, so if somebody broke into your car an dinstlaled those tools they could install viruses.

that said, connecting your phone via bluetooth is completely harmless and if your scared of a virus getting into your car then return the bimmer and go buy an old corolla!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does the steering wheel control work at all with the miccus set up? i don't really need the track sorting info on the idrive screen but would like to be able to advance songs from the steering wheel. i usually have it on random or iTunes radio so would be good to skip songs easily without having to go to the phone interface.
thats the only downside to using the bluetooth dongle is that it just streams through your aux, the upside is you can use a 3rd party app like spotify,etc. which u cant really do if u plug in with y cable. i think its worth buying both items and messing around to see wht u like, were talking $18 for the y cable and i think 15 for the dongle. come onnn

·
Registered
49 Posts
The miccus works perfectly, the second i get in my car, my phone syncs to both the bmw and miccus bluetooth networks, i can stream on the go, and make/grab calls right from my car's installed mic/speakers.
How are you able to make calls? I know you can answer them by pressing the phone button on the steering wheel but are you now able to make a call other then using the phone, a preset button or Siri?

·
Registered
15 Posts
thats the only downside to using the bluetooth dongle is that it just streams through your aux, the upside is you can use a 3rd party app like spotify,etc. which u cant really do if u plug in with y cable. i think its worth buying both items and messing around to see wht u like, were talking $18 for the y cable and i think 15 for the dongle. come onnn
So you can't advance tracks on the steering wheel if using the bluetooth dongle? Also, didn't realize Spotify would not work with the y cable. How about navigation audio, do the turn by by turn directions work with the dongle? with the y-cable? Picking up my car in Feb so not able to test these things out myself yet...

·
Registered
15 Posts
FYI: There is an A2DP dongle that replicate the OEM Bluetooth Audio iDrive interface with iPhones -the ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000.

iPhone can be kept out of the way.
It looks like the ViseeO Tune2air connects to the 30pin end of the y-cable. So is the interface exactly the same as plugging the phone to the y-cable? The only difference is you don't need to plug in the phone? Does the y-cable charge this dongle?

Also curious what shows up on the screen on non-nav, non-advance USB, non-enhanced BT cars when using the y-cable w/30pin to lightning adapter. From what I gather, playlists, artists, songs show up but no album artwork.

Anyone know if google maps audio comes through with any of the options?

So my options look like:
1) y-cable w/30pin to lightning adaptor. Pros: playlists info displayed and controllable from idrive. Cost: Dealer gave me one at no charge. ($30 for 30 pin to lightning)
2) ViseeO Tune2air. Pros: same as above but BT capable. Cost: $99 but no need for 30pin to lightning adapter.
3) Miccus dongle. Pros: BT streaming and 3rd party apps (not clear to me but from the other posts sounds like Spotify doesn't work connecting through y-cable?). Cons: no info displayed on screen and no controls other than phone screen. Cost: $40 no need for 30pin to lightning adapter.

Let me know if any of the above info is wrong. I'll start with option 1 since I have all the hardware. May add option 2 later if I want BT. I probably won't do option 3 since it looks like I need to pick up or look at my phone if I want control or see any track info.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
It looks like the ViseeO Tune2air connects to the 30pin end of the y-cable. So is the interface exactly the same as plugging the phone to the y-cable? The only difference is you don't need to plug in the phone? Does the y-cable charge this dongle?
Correct.

FYI: There is an A2DP dongle that replicate the OEM Bluetooth Audio iDrive interface with iPhones -the ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000.

iPhone can be kept out of the way.
Also curious what shows up on the screen on non-nav, non-advance USB, non-enhanced BT cars when using the y-cable w/30pin to lightning adapter. From what I gather, playlists, artists, songs show up but no album artwork.
Album Art via A2DP is only possible with the NBT Nav.

Again, OEM USB/iPod interface will be replicated via the WMA1000 regardless if it is CIC Nav or Non-Nav.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Technic. Not quite sure how to go about the coding option to enable A2DP. I'm getting the most basic 2014 F30 audio system. My goals are to:
1) be able to listen to music from my phone
2) be able to control (start, stop, advance track etc) through the steering wheel or idrive.
3) see track information on idrive screen
4) google maps audio through car speakers

I believe the y-cable will work for all of this but haven't been able to try it yet. Artworks not a big deal for me.

·
Super Moderator
8,055 Posts
Thanks Technic. Not quite sure how to go about the coding option to enable A2DP. I'm getting the most basic 2014 F30 audio system. My goals are to:
1) be able to listen to music from my phone
2) be able to control (start, stop, advance track etc) through the steering wheel or idrive.
3) see track information on idrive screen
4) google maps audio through car speakers

I believe the y-cable will work for all of this but haven't been able to try it yet. Artworks not a big deal for me.

The y cable allows 1-3. Not sure about 4. No album art.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts