BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Experts!

New to the E61, having just bought one a short while ago. Am working through all the systems...

I'm getting a L and R 'Parking Lamp Error' and, sure enough: the parking lamps never come on, neither in automatic nor in manual switch mode.

I'm hoping will be simply a bulb replacement. But in searching around here and elsewhere, there's some info misleading to the new owner; some of it related to retrofits, other to cars which still have all halogens, etc.

My car has Bi-Xenon headlamps; lighting options are as follows:
522 XENON LIGHT
524 ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS
563 LIGHTS PACKAGE

Now, which replacement angel eye bulbs to buy? Some packages appear to be LEDs for retrofits - ie, they include in-cable resistors. Others seem to still be halogens - presumably not applicable to my car.

Yes, you're right: I should be just taking it all apart to check for myself. That'll be this weekend, I hope!

I guess the key question: Is my car already wired for LED angel eyes? Can somebody recommend a resistor-integrated set of 'bulbs', other than the crazy overpriced ones I've seen on line?

Or, worse: Might I have the software-update-from-hell-which-disables-parking-lamps issue? Does anyone have precisely the revision number of the offending software update?

Other priorities (now done!) have been the oil stand and oil cooler gaskets - yup, the famous leaks. And replacement of the coolant intake O-ring. Also leaking. Still have a lower right side slow coolant leak; this remains to be diagnosed.

Oh, and the belly pan/splash guard and fender covers are either damaged or missing. Not good!

Thanks for your help, all.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,172 Posts
I replaced both of my angel eye bulbs with LEDs. It was a simple replace...incandescent to LED. No resisters required. I believe maybe the super bright ones have resistors, but not sure.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If your xenons are like mine, they came with halogen bulbs for the angel eyes. Problem is they are yellow while the headlights are white. You can get LEDs that are white to replace the angel eyes so they match. But the LEDs don't draw enough current and the car will give you an error telling you the angel eyes are burnt out. The resistor packs the good LEDs come with draw additional current to keep the warning off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts