BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I turned on the car tonight and I got the "park lamp error" message.
I got out of the car and wouldn't you know it, the passenger side hl had no halos.
WTF?!
So it's time for an upgrade from the old school bulbs.
There are so many brands to choose from though!!!
Which to buy!?!?1
I want something bright and white.
I've seen several from as cheap as $55 to as much as $150 for the LED upgrade.
What's the difference!?!?!
I've seen the comparison pics, I can tell some are brighter than others, some look whiter also.
But what is everyone using and what's goingt o last?!
I see the mtec bulbs seem to be popular. I've also seen some mention of the china made Rdash.

So any feedback you'd like to share???

Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Pick one, it's that simple. You already know MTECs are very popular here, no need to start a different thread for the million already open on the subject.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
apparently it's not that simple with all the brands and different results you would get with each. The proof is in the amount of threads on the subject.

I'm not clear on the different wattages available and the differences in heat sinks. I've seen 3 watt and 5 watt.

And what's up with the CCFL conversion??? are those for older bimmers only??

·
Registered
177 Posts
ok so I turned on the car tonight and I got the "park lamp error" message.
I got out of the car and wouldn't you know it, the passenger side hl had no halos.
WTF?!
So it's time for an upgrade from the old school bulbs.
There are so many brands to choose from though!!!
Which to buy!?!?1
I want something bright and white.
I've seen several from as cheap as $55 to as much as $150 for the LED upgrade.
What's the difference!?!?!
I've seen the comparison pics, I can tell some are brighter than others, some look whiter also.
But what is everyone using and what's goingt o last?!
I see the mtec bulbs seem to be popular. I've also seen some mention of the china made Rdash.

So any feedback you'd like to share???

Thanks everyone!!
I would definitely go with the MTEC. I just installed mine last night and very happy with them. As far as RDash my experience with them has not been good. When I got my 7 last year I changed the stock angel eye bulb for a pair of them and 6 months later one of them blew out. The MTECs I installed are 3 watt and I got them from EBay for $130 + shipping. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just ordered a set of blue LED ones from eBay for $50 with shipping. I know they got other colors available. In the pictures they look pretty bright and for that price it sounds like a sweet deal.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I just ordered a set of blue LED ones from eBay for $50 with shipping. I know they got other colors available. In the pictures they look pretty bright and for that price it sounds like a sweet deal.
+1 I got mine on eBay for $40 shipped. Pure White. About a year ago. Havent had any issues with them at all. Prolly not the brightest, but I've stated my opinion on Halos being too bright and why I think thats a bad thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
+1 I got mine on eBay for $40 shipped. Pure White. About a year ago. Havent had any issues with them at all. Prolly not the brightest, but I've stated my opinion on Halos being too bright and why I think thats a bad thing.
Good to hear that they're reliable :) Replacing them SUCKS :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay so I've decided to excercises my "ricer rights"!!! Haha
I want to install led lights in the side marker housings on the fender and blind people pulled up next to me at stops. Lmao.
I went to eBay and typed in "led t10 BMW" and tons of ads popped up. All kinds of different types of led lights for this application.
Any clue on which work. I tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything on these lights.
So many choices!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check out the third one from the top :) (2 x 168/194/T10 1W Blue SMD LED License Plate Lights). Those will work for the side marker and they must be pretty bright. If You want something to REALLY piss people off just put in some strobe lights haha

BTW I really don't get this whole "ricer" thing... Neons= ricers, LEDs= ricers etc. My previous car was a show car- red underglow, red neons inside, strobe lights, hood scoops in blue, grill in white and lower side of the bumper in red again. All that on a liquid red G8. It deff turned heads and looked pretty nice and aggressive with everything on. I'll post a pic sometime- if anybody can call that a ricer then I'm lost... If it was a 1992 Honda civic with all that crap on, I'd understand although I must say I've seen some VERY nice looking older civics round lately! Lots of $$$, time, and heart put into them. Can't throw everybody into one box... Every case is different :)

P.S. I'm not trying to start a fight =P Just thinking outloud...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info. As for the "ricer" thing, the term is loosely defined. Haha

It more specifically refers to the accessories used not the model of car. Excessive and unneccessary accessories that dont in anyway add performance to a car but do a good job of pulling eyes........is pretty much ricer.
Not to say there's anything wrong with ricer.
I've rocked plenty of neons, LEDs, and bling for the pure enjoyment.
To each his own.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I guess it all depends on who likes what lol I must admit to one thing then- I'm a ricer and damn proud of it lol :bigpimp: Hey... Whatever makes the ride "unique". There might only be a few ways to install a supercharger, but plenty of different ways to install lights/ neons :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha. True that!!

Back to the LEDs, I went back to start reading through ad details. Several of the bigger ones say specifically that they will cause an error light. While many of the smaller, flat, pc board looking ones say they won't set the error off. But how bright Are the flat pc board looking ones compared to the larger round led ones???
Trying to find comparison pics on google or video on YouTube now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had my 745i for about a year now and 65k on it and need to change all the filters and need new set of wheels , does anyone know of a online site i could get them for reasonable price ?? if i bring it into BMW they;re goin to charge me an arm and 2 legs for the service.. and whats the price to change full stock headlights to Mtecs angel eyes pure white or cool white?? and where could i get them??? anyone got a site ?? thanks!!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Had my 745i for about a year now and 65k on it and need to change all the filters and need new set of wheels , does anyone know of a online site i could get them for reasonable price ?? if i bring it into BMW they;re goin to charge me an arm and 2 legs for the service.. and whats the price to change full stock headlights to Mtecs angel eyes pure white or cool white?? and where could i get them??? anyone got a site ?? thanks!!!
Search Ebay E65 MTec

1 - 19 of 19 Posts