Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new to this site. I just recently bought my first car, a 1999 BMW 528i, with 60,000 miles. blue exterior/grey interior. I really like the head lights of the newer e39's and i was wondering how easy it is to convert mine. If someone could give me some info as to what exactly xenons and halos and bmw headlights in general, that would be helpful. I don't want to spend too much money so i looked to ebay, and this is what i have found.

Ebay option 1
Ebay option 2
Ebay option 3

Are any of these decent? will the lights project a blue/white beam? Also, what does installation cost on a project like this? I'm not really a car guy, and i would have a very difficult time trying to figure out how to do it myself.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just spent 2 months researching all those ebay "angel eyes" and finally purchased one for around $265.00, the actual lighting looks great on the car and it took 30 minutes to install both. Like I said they look great I think nicer than most bimmers. The problem is the quality of light and the halo rings ........they SUCK. They are not what they look like on the picture. They use 4 5watt bulbs (top,bottom,left,right) to form the halo and they don't come close. It makes the light look bad when the headlights are on because it does not complete the full circle. I love the look of the lights during the day but hate the halo lights.I hate the fact that you cant get your money back because I would. I bought these for the halo and got a great looking fixture but a crappy halo....lol

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I will be honest, Don't do these. Go to Bavarian autosport (www.bavauto.com) or (www.umnitza.com) I will tell you, You get what you pay for. If you want the blue/white light you need the "HID" high Indensitity discharge lights but be prepared to spent about $1000+ for them. :yikes: You could get Halogen for about $650+.
Hope this helps. Happy New Year! :thumbup:

Welcome to the Forum! :D

·
180 Posts
I bought option 3.

I'm starting to believe you get what you pay for with these lights. The quality isn't that great. I'm still going to go ahead and get them installed and see how they do.

jerrybsal, which ones did you get? In park-light mode, do only the rings light up? did you have to do any special wiring? can you change the bulbs to make them look better?

·
Save the Males!
1,368 Posts
You do get what you pay for. That is why you should just dish out and get the hellas!!! I have the Hellas and the quality is great. The beam pattern is excellent, and the AE's look like they are supposed to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hawk2100n said:
You do get what you pay for. That is why you should just dish out and get the hellas!!! I have the Hellas and the quality is great. The beam pattern is excellent, and the AE's look like they are supposed to.
Does the Hella package include resistors so you don't get the low beam out warning light?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
scottc said:
Does the Hella package include resistors so you don't get the low beam out warning light?
Eurosport.com is a good place, cheaper then Bav Auto Sport. You can get the kit with the ballist but it adds quite a bit of $$. I believe these Hellas are same OEM spec as the stock BMW Zenons. Actually they might be the "exact" same as the OEM's except BMW uses a different part # and takes off the Hella sticker on the top. I say this because my stock zenons from the factory had stickers removed from the top of the casing and the new clear corner hella lights I got has this Hella sticker in the same spot the stock OEM's sticker would have been. :dunno: Everything else about the lights match to a t.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts