Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any So Cal members want to meet up in 2 weeks for a fun run down Angelos Crest HWY? Post here or email me, I'm compiling a database.

I do want to keep the group small, probably no more than 10 - 12 cars. Originally I wanted to run next weekend but my wife said she wanted to run too...So I have to postpone it to next NEXT week since she's going to NY for a week. :(

Party at my house! Woohoo! :eeps:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
It might be a pretty crowded drive to do that on a weekend. You sure we won't just be spending our time stuck behind a buncha RVs?

·
^yup, it's me^
2,215 Posts
Weekends suck on Angeles Crest due to the CHP and double fine enforcement, not to mention the bikes everywhere. Angeles Crest is best done during the week or at night (full moons ROCK)to avoid any detrimental activity to the pocketbook as the CHP and bikes don't go there at night. I'll keep an eye open here to see when I can meet some boardmembers. Sounds like fun.

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
I'm game. Just tell me when and where (as long as it's not 8 a.m. on a Sunday).

Later.

PS: I had a lot of fun on Saturday with the DIY session. Were you able to install Plaz's SSK with the ERK cup first, or did you have to do it the hard way like on my car?

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
Raffi said:
Were you able to install Plaz's SSK with the ERK cup first, or did you have to do it the hard way like on my car?
He had to do it the hard way.

All bolts were accounted for at the end of the afternoon, though. :yikes: :D

·
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
1,687 Posts
CaliJeff said:
Angeles Crest is best done during the week or at night (full moons ROCK)to avoid any detrimental activity to the pocketbook as the CHP and bikes don't go there at night.
I had never driven it -- tried it on a weekday night last week. I did not see one car on the first 12.5 miles returning back into La Canada from Newcombe's Ranch. Newcombe's Ranch is now open until 10pm weekdays.

PS for non-Californians: This road climbs from a little over 1000 ft at the edge of the LA urban area to over 5000 ft in under 15 miles. The curves are smooth, with few or no decreasing radius turns -- but there are rock falls regularly. The penalty for missing a curve can be a multi-hundred foot drop. The double fines by CHP are because of multiple fatalities: it has averaged 5 deaths and 66 serious injuries per year -- and the CHP has a special enforcement grant for the area. (See http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/AngelsCrest.htm and http://www.mulhollandraceway.org/roads/crest.html for more info and entertainment.)

PPS: I spotted a fox raiding Newcombe's trash -- but that isn't the only wild life. There are bears, deer, and mountain lions in these mountains -- which can offer big crash penalties or make roadside repair more exciting (especially in a "pop-top" like a roadster).

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Raffi said:
I'm game. Just tell me when and where (as long as it's not 8 a.m. on a Sunday).

Later.

PS: I had a lot of fun on Saturday with the DIY session. Were you able to install Plaz's SSK with the ERK cup first, or did you have to do it the hard way like on my car?
Nope, had to do it the hard way...The cup just gets in the way when you try to move the shift carriage in to the transmission housing.

Want to take a guess as to how many times I had to remove his heat shield? :bawling:

Is Angelos Crest a 2 lane highway or 4 lanes? If it's 2 lanes, I think what we can do is divide into two group runs, and have a spotter up front, and a spotter in the rear, and basically bookend the fastest cars and drivers up front and the slower driver's back to open up some running room?

It's either that, or do it on a weekday, or doing it at 6:00 am. :(

·
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
1,687 Posts
The HACK said:
Is Angelos Crest a 2 lane highway or 4 lanes
It's 2 lanes. See the links above for details. Supposedly the CHP doesn't patrol at night, but I would not count on it.

Hitting a rock or trying to miss one can carry the ultimate penalty...

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Although high-speed runs are fun, I like lower-speed, more technical roads if given a choice. There also seems to be fewer cops on em. :D

On Saturday, after replacing my shock mounts, we drove on some back roads between Temecula and Fallbrook which were similar to Malibu Cyn but with fewer elevation changes and no bicycle traffic. I also managed to get a good high-speed run through Ortega Cyn on my way home with a motorcycle trying to chase me down (ha!).

My favorite San Gabriel Mountains route is Glendora Mountain Road up into the far eastern end of East Fork, onto Glendora Ridge Road into the south end of Mt. Baldy. Just don't do it for the first time in spring, as melting snow is all over, and there are patched of black ice on the shady sides. :yikes:

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
The HACK said:

Nope, had to do it the hard way...The cup just gets in the way when you try to move the shift carriage in to the transmission housing.

Want to take a guess as to how many times I had to remove his heat shield? :bawling:
Let me see - a dozen times like on my car? :banghead:
At least all of the bolts were accounted for at the end of the day, according to Plaz! :D

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Raffi said:

Let me see - a dozen times like on my car? :banghead:
At least all of the bolts were accounted for at the end of the day, according to Plaz! :D
Unless I have spares...Muhahahahahahahahahah!

Hey, I've got a Husky bit and your wrench. Come by to pick it up anytime.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
I'd go if it was planned for a weekday... the weekends are way too crowded for my blood.

So... anyone game for a weekday run? :D

--SONET

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
The HACK said:

Unless I have spares...Muhahahahahahahahahah!

Hey, I've got a Husky bit and your wrench. Come by to pick it up anytime.
No rush, I will get it next time I see you. Thanks for the heads-up.

:thumbup:

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
There is a FULL MOON run this WED. night for the Z3 club!

Check the Z3 board. I posted a link to some Z3 club having a FULL MOON run on Angeles Crest this Wed. night. Don't know, but I would imagine a second pack of BMWs would be fun.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Raffi said:

Some of us work during the week! :D :D :D
Oh yeah.... I used to do that. :eek:

My biggest client went bankrupt... which is bad for my consulting business (especially since they owe me a big chunk), but the free time is kind of nice. May as well make the best of it! :thumbup:

--SONET

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
SONET said:

Oh yeah.... I used to do that. :eek:

My biggest client went bankrupt... which is bad for my consulting business (especially since they owe me a big chunk), but the free time is kind of nice. May as well make the best of it! :thumbup:

--SONET
:yikes: Sorry about that. At least you are taking it well.

Good luck.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts