BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone did this to my car last night. Can't even begin to say how upset I am about it. Can anyone estimate how much it will cost to repaint it? Is this something I could buff out?

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1467291568.109835.jpg

·
BMW 4 LIFE
1,518 Posts
Someone did this to my car last night. Can't even begin to say how upset I am about it. Can anyone estimate how much it will cost to repaint it? Is this something I could buff out?

View attachment 568981
SUCKS! Sorry man. Do this...since I'm and ins agent...call police and file a police report, call ins co and file an UNINSURED MOTORIST claim. Not sure what the NJ deductible is but you will have to pay it. Looking at the bumper it appears there is a crack so more than likely they will have to replace the bumper. I had a fender bender with scratches similar and that's what they did. It's plastic so...new bumper. Make sure they an OE bumper as if they try and scam an aftermarket bumper on you IT WILL NOT FIT! period. Took me 4 days and it looks perfect as they matched my BS paint perfectly. Happy with it but this is what you need to do. My bumper cost $769 from BMW of Silver Spring (Tischer) so they're not cheap. With some minor hood damage total was $1891.

Sucks people do this **** but hopefully there is something called Karma in play here for that asshole! Good luck. OH and btw I just had a custom exhaust put on yesterday w/DP and inside it's loud as hell. Hated it yesterday but getting used this morning.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to hear.

Now you see why I don't get too emotionally attached to ANY materialistic possession.

I used to, until I learned the hard way (like you).

Assume anything you own will get ruined and it's temporary. It's easier that way when things like this happen.

NOTHING is perfect. Never was, never will be.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'd be upset too, even though I fully realize that getting upset does nothing to help. Take a deep breath and follow MWatty550's suggestions. S(*t happens.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Horrible. Looks like it buckled and bounced back. A body shop can do pretty impressive repairs with plastic bumper covers. They might be able to save it. A little heat, a little filler. You'd never know.

On metal of course it would be ruined forever.

Give a body shop a chance, and if they have to replace it get OEM even if you have to put cash on top of the insurance check.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses and sympathy, everyone.

@MWatty550 - my deductible on uninsured motorist is $500. I realize that the cost of a new bumper is much higher, but I don't think I will need a new bumper. I looked closely, and there are no cracks. There's some paint peeling off, so buffing won't be a 100% restoration.

@chaoski, need4speed, veeri - Thanks, the car has been a magnet for scratches for a while now, since I park on street. A few days ago I discovered an ugly scratch on my rear bumper from what seems like someone trying to get in/out of a spot behind me. But this left me speechless.

@BashedBarrique - Can't afford a new bumper now. I'm due for new tires (and an alignment) soon.

@CWB - No, I park on street. I'll post after I have tried buffing.

@jiveturky1 - It's just horrible. It seems like there was significant force involved. There was _plenty_ of space in front of me. I just can't fathom how bad or drunk of a driver you have to be to do this.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Not what you wanna hear but you got lucky.

Doesn't look like a headlight or fog light was damaged. Really sucks and im sorry to hear about this but if i were you id use this as a good excuse to replace it with an m3 or a 1m bumper.

·
BMW 4 LIFE
1,518 Posts
If the bumper can be saved then find a body shop with a great tech who make it look brand new or close. You might be surprised so spend a couple hundred bucks and you're back in Happyville again. Let us know... up close before and after pics.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I gave the car a good wash and it looks slightly better. There are no cracks in the bumper, so that is some solace. If I end up going to a body shop and getting it restored fully, I will post here with pictures.

Attachments

·
Restoration Enthusiast
104 Posts
It does look a bit better. Did you try hand buffing it out with any compound?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't. I am trying to find some instructions on the correct way to do it.

·
Restoration Enthusiast
104 Posts
Pretty simple really. I like to use plenty of water from a spray bottle when using a harsher rubbing compound however fora softer approach I use a Meguiars brand compound called "Ultimate Compound". It works very well and doesn't require water.

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
This is why I am considering one of the dashcams that runs even when the car is off. At least I would have some peace of mind as to who did this.
No respect for other's property.
Plain no respect most likely driving a POS and just didn't give a flip...

·
Restoration Enthusiast
104 Posts
I used the Meguiars compound on my MR2 and it come out nicely. Here is a pic of the car, though its a little dark. Just gives a general idea of how the stuff works.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts