BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is a northeast issue, but why is that slow drivers insist on camping out on the left (passing) lane? Then, if you try and pass them on the right lane, they speed up. I don't think it's because I'm driving my BMW 535 (effort to keep it on topic :p). I think some people genuinely don't give a $hit about the "rules" of the road. Drive down the Saw Mill River Parkway, and the right lane essentially has become the passing lane. Just venting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey John:

I live in Charlotte, NC and I will tell you I have noticed the same behavior (also seen in Atlanta & Louisville).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Same in Chicago, and don't discount the fact that it may be occurring because you have a 5 series. I'm sure there's a fair amount of people that like to speed up just to piss you off:mad:

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have observed this for years in NJ. For some time the main offenders were PA drivers as they did not have a keep right rule in that state. Today, however, I see many people in the left lan witht cruise control set so that they do not need to think so much about their driving...... they can concentrate on their phone calls or, worse, texting. I have also seen , on numerous occasions, tractor trailors going off the right lane onto the shoulder ( I can hear them riding on the rumble strips several car lengths ahead of them ) because they are talking on the phone.
It has gotten even worse over the last year as there are more folks driving from DC to NY or Phil to Boston to savwe on airfare for businesss trips and guess what they are doing while cruising? I also see more woman on the phone while driving during rush hour than men presumably because they might have more responsibilities managing home stuff ( kids, etc.). This whole stuation is much worse than drunk driving as it seems like there are so many peole talking or texting while driving. It is unsafe and it really slows traffic down big time..... and I thought SUVs were a problem on the highway before! I has nothing to do with being in a BMW. We simply live in a society where no one gives a $#!7 about anyone else.

OK.. I'm done:)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
People do what they feel like as long as there are no penalties. In the US, law enforcement cares only about speeding and the most egregious aggressive driving. In Europe, you are penalized for passing lane hogging, tailgating, and many other offenses. Therefore, people don't do it.

As I always say when I see kids who behave terribly in restaurants, etc.: don't blame the kids, blame the parents for not enforcing better behavior. In this case, blame driving instructors and law enforcement for not teaching and enforcing safer driving.

As for driving the 5-series, this is my first BMW and yes, I notice mostly small Japanese "racers" wanting to cut me off or drag race me at lights. What EVER! I didn't buy my car to impress anyone but myself.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yep, I notice lots of LLDs. I pass on the right when it is safe as do most others.

·
Registered
673 Posts
i have observed this for years in nj. For some time the main offenders were pa drivers as they did not have a keep right rule in that state. Today, however, i see many people in the left lan witht cruise control set so that they do not need to think so much about their driving...... They can concentrate on their phone calls or, worse, texting. I have also seen , on numerous occasions, tractor trailors going off the right lane onto the shoulder ( i can hear them riding on the rumble strips several car lengths ahead of them ) because they are talking on the phone.
It has gotten even worse over the last year as there are more folks driving from dc to ny or phil to boston to savwe on airfare for businesss trips and guess what they are doing while cruising? I also see more woman on the phone while driving during rush hour than men presumably because they might have more responsibilities managing home stuff ( kids, etc.). This whole stuation is much worse than drunk driving as it seems like there are so many peole talking or texting while driving. It is unsafe and it really slows traffic down big time..... And i thought suvs were a problem on the highway before! I has nothing to do with being in a bmw. We simply live in a society where no one gives a $#!7 about anyone else.

Ok.. I'm done:)
+1

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
People do what they feel like as long as there are no penalties. In the US, law enforcement cares only about speeding and the most egregious aggressive driving. In Europe, you are penalized for passing lane hogging, tailgating, and many other offenses. Therefore, people don't do it.

As I always say when I see kids who behave terribly in restaurants, etc.: don't blame the kids, blame the parents for not enforcing better behavior. In this case, blame driving instructors and law enforcement for not teaching and enforcing safer driving.

As for driving the 5-series, this is my first BMW and yes, I notice mostly small Japanese "racers" wanting to cut me off or drag race me at lights. What EVER! I didn't buy my car to impress anyone but myself.
Ditto I noticed the same here on the MD side.... Also it seems my car is invisible to people when they turn into my lane right in front of me.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It's the same in Florida. I'm sure it's the same everywhere.

Keep in mind ANYONE can get a license. You share the road with a LOT of morons.

Having said that, to many, WE are maniacs driving so fast, so they don't yield to us or follow rules. Why should they - after all, we're the ones speeding!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So long as we are on the subject, why is it so difficult for people to signal when making a turn? Is it so difficult to flick a finger to move the signal stalk?

·
Registered
985 Posts
So long as we are on the subject, why is it so difficult for people to signal when making a turn? Is it so difficult to flick a finger to move the signal stalk?
Didn't you know?....SUVs don't come with turn signals.:D

·
Registered
723 Posts
Experienced the exactly same effing thing on one of the major highways around NYC area; it was rush hour, that left-lane-camping Camry, sped up pretty quickly and responsively when I pulled to the right and started to pass him on the right. I thought he was enjoying the coasting, so I was pretty surprised to see his response. Then there is this another crappy car on the center lane camping, I had to use the 1st lane eventually to get some fresh air.

I think this is a new york thing, but eventually the virus spread to other areas of the country.

Finally, I think this speed-up-while-being-passed-on-the-right thing is far more dangerous than us traveling slightly (uh ok, maybe 20 miles) above the speed limit.

I don't know if this is a northeast issue, but why is that slow drivers insist on camping out on the left (passing) lane? Then, if you try and pass them on the right lane, they speed up. I don't think it's because I'm driving my BMW 535 (effort to keep it on topic :p). I think some people genuinely don't give a $hit about the "rules" of the road. Drive down the Saw Mill River Parkway, and the right lane essentially has become the passing lane. Just venting.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yep, I notice lots of LLDs. I pass on the right when it is safe as do most others.
The rules of the road and enforcement is all about speeding tickets and generating revenue. Ask a cop when was the last time he wrote a citation for left lane hogging. But if God forbid I speed up quickly and pass on the right, someone can use their cell phone to report "aggressive driving". :mad::bs::wahwah:

·
Registered
338 Posts

-snip-
+1.

But our government has been punishing good behavior and rewarding bad for a while now (I'm not giving specifics because I don't want to generate a political war, it's spanned Administrations). Why then would you expect people to act differently than they do?

·
not real
188 Posts
+1.

But our government has been punishing good behavior and rewarding bad for a while now (I'm not giving specifics because I don't want to generate a political war, it's spanned Administrations). Why then would you expect people to act differently than they do?
that's why my motto is "strive for the minimum" :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
I complain about this all the time (it happens here in SoCal too). I think the part about speeding up when one attempts to pass is human nature.
So I expect it and when I pass I gun it (that's why I luv my 550i) and most of the time the nutcases I pass still speed up and attempt to tailgate. Of course most of them can't keep up and always slow down.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Same Here in Atlanta

It's not different here in Georgia...left lane idiots going slow and everybody is going around them to pass in the right lane....oh, and btw, there's like 6-8 lanes on our major highways here and they pick the left lane. Dumba$$es......Thanks for putting up the post so I can vent too....sometimes it drives me crazy but I just go around them.

Also, about the turn signal....how bout it being used when say, uh, I dunno, CHANGING LANES LOL!

And to the earlier post, yea, SUV's don't have turn signals. They just plow over whether you're there or not and most of the people driving them SHOULDNT BE.

:)

Ok, feel mo betta now! :thumbup:

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts