BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My GT is now trying to stretch my nerves :mad: Would any of you have an idea what could cause a constant noise while driving? The car has only 68000 km on it.

It is like the tires are singing, not humming like usual road noise. It is rather constant frequency, and the frequency does not vary with car speed nor engine speed. It starts to be audible at around 35 km/h and just becomes a bit louder as speed increases. You can hear it when driving straight, or turning. And it does not matter if you turn a bit or hard. It is constantly the same. When the car is standing still, or drive below 35km/h the sound is gone (or not loud enough to be heard inside the car). The only thing that seems to affect the sound making it louder or quieter is the surface smoothness of the road. But even on very smooth brand new surface you can hear it.

I initially blamed my worn runflats. But now the car has brand new set of non-runflat tires well balanced and the noise is still there :dunno:

I had a service shop check my bearings today for premature upcoming failure. But nothing was found. Also the tires were aligned. No help. So then I thought the sound is just coming from air flowing through. But now on a rainy day the whining singing noise is still there.

Trying to understand what is going on so I jacked up the left front wheel as that seems to be where the sound originates. But it is difficult to tell. While having the car jacked I rolled the tire with my hand. It does keep some strange sound but I have no idea what could cause that. I recorded a short video by putting my phone on the spring. Not sure if these are related but I find this sound a bit strange. The right front tire does not have the clicking sound.

https://youtu.be/sEjCkyRCyDk

Any thoughts?

-p

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would check:

Brake pads - could be worn or have something stuck in them
Brake pad retaining clips
Warped discs

Your wheel also seems to have a bit of movement so check it's not buckled. I hit a pothole and it buckled both of mine.

Very strange noise and I can understand why you are frustrated!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brake pads - could be worn or have something stuck in them
Brake pad retaining clips
Warped discs

Your wheel also seems to have a bit of movement so check it's not buckled. I hit a pothole and it buckled both of mine.
Thank you for your thoughts! I will take the wheel off tomorrow and take a closer look to see if there is anything visible. I was wondering if a small crack in the wheel could cause it? I guess I can also swap my front tires from side to side to see if that makes a difference and moves the sound to the other side. I got mixed tires so the rear ones won't fit in the front.

-p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts