BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 535i has only 55K miles and got the "common" valve cover gasket leak. Oil stains near the valve cover and a lovely smell in the cabin.

Turns out the *plastic* valve cover is also warped and that needs replacement too. $500 for a *plastic* cover?

Total damage - $1600

Oh, and there's apparently a tiny leak in the oil filter housing as well. Another "common issue with these models" He said it doesn't need replacing...yet. Cost for that would be another $1000.

The joys of BMW ownership - The Ultimate Driving Machine. Too bad it's not The Ultimate Reliability Machine.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
2013 535i has only 55K miles and got the "common" valve cover gasket leak. Oil stains near the valve cover and a lovely smell in the cabin.

Turns out the *plastic* valve cover is also warped and that needs replacement too. $500 for a *plastic* cover?

Total damage - $1600

Oh, and there's apparently a tiny leak in the oil filter housing as well. Another "common issue with these models" He said it doesn't need replacing...yet. Cost for that would be another $1000.

The joys of BMW ownership - The Ultimate Driving Machine. Too bad it's not The Ultimate Reliability Machine.
I've had both of them!

·
Registered
350 Posts
fmalloy
Well said, I can not agree with you more. I cannot but say it is a lousy design. Look at Toyota or even Hyundai, they are not like that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well said, I can not agree with you more. I cannot but say it is a lousy design. Look at Toyota or even Hyundai, they are not like that.
The more luxurious the car, the lower the reliability. They figure - you've got the $$$ to buy it, you'll spend the $$$ to maintain it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had my valve cover gasket and oil filter housing done under warranty. Only 45k miles on my 2016 and I would of never expected any oil leaks at this mileage. Also the smell was a funny carbon like aroma instead of a regular oil burning smell. BMW is really different i guess.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had my valve cover gasket and oil filter housing done under warranty. Only 45k miles on my 2016 and I would of never expected any oil leaks at this mileage. Also the smell was a funny carbon like aroma instead of a regular oil burning smell. BMW is really different i guess.
Glad you got it under warranty! My wife does only local driving and we're at only 55K after 5 years and it cost me $1600 as they had to replace the gasket AND the cover. :irate:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Got mine done as well. Carmax paid as it was under warranty. I think the gasket is easily done.... dunno about the oil filter housing. I had no smell but the mechanic said there was quite a mess from the leak.

·
CALS
74 Posts

Total damage - $1600

Yep, had those 2 leaks as well (Replaced 3 gaskets; 2 on the Oil Filter Housing and the VCG one), replaced the Cover by a new one (came with Gasket attached already) as the risk of having warp/cracks in the old one was too high and did not want to do it again.

Thx

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Would both the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing oil leaks be covered under the CPO extended warranty?? I might be having the same problem and my car is still under the extended warranty.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Valve cover leaks and failures are the new plague of most BMW models built after 2006. Its about the same as the cooling system issues from the 2000-2005 models.
If the valve cover is not leaking or cracked, The PCV valve built into many of them fail. At 400+ for the genuine one, Its a issue with no real long term fix as there is no upgrade or "fix" other than replacing it with another one prone to fail.

·
Registered
18 Posts
could my new 2016 528i 37k miles get the same issues? or is it new enough to have some sort of upgrade against failure? is there a way to check for this or avoid this issue / prevent this issue? how do i know when its time to swap out the part

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here's what I just had done Monday @ 56k miles

Oil Cooler Seal
Oil Filter Housing gasket
Camshaft Adjuster Seal Flange
Valve Cover Gasket

Parts = $150
Labor = $1200

Grand total $1350

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
My 2014 535i will be going in to the dealer tomorrow. I have had to add a total of about 3 to 4 quarts of oil in the last few months, though I cannot see any evidence of an oil leak. I will ask them to check several other issues as well. At 57K miles and still under CPO warranty..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Taking my 2013 F10 535i in Monday. My extended maintenance and warranty expire in May. 57 k miles, oil filter gasket already replaced, hoping to get the front brakes done cause they are right at the sensor. First time I took it in, they grilled me for wanting wiper blades replaced. Wish me the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 535i 2014 with 53,000 miles. I was also told I need to replace the gasket and they recommend the cover too. I can not believe a ***8220;well engineered***8221; vehicle has anything plastic on the engine to begin with, that is going to warp and allow a leak to occur at this low mileage. Simply amazes me. Remember BMW doesn***8217;t really stand for Bavarian Motor Works. Instead it stands for Break My Wallet. I don***8217;t mind paying the price for the car (well maybe) but the repair costs are astonishingly more expensive than other manufacturers. Brakes on all four wheels cost $1600.00, heater fan $1100.00. I***8217;m still deciding on whether to sink the money Into the car, one I absolutely love to drive, or sell it and get something more reliable. Decisions decisions.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts