BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Squeal like a BMW
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my one year old, 13K miles, 2007 E90 335i was rear-ended last Saturday by a '95 5 Series. She looked away from traffic, we stopped, she never hit her brakes, etc.

The car is in the shop now being broken down. It didn't appear there was any quarter panel damage but the trunk space is definitely compressed by a few inches, the bumper torn up and the trunk lid a bit askew. Fortunately no one was hurt, just bent metal and torn plastic.

Is the difference in value of the car now based on the severity of the damage or is it just a wrecked vs not wrecked type of evaluation? I guess that my best bet is to talk to several dealers about how they would differ their trade in values on the car based on the accident?

I live in a state that has upheld the right to recover diminished value and in this case it will be from the other driver's insurance and so I intend to be pretty aggressive about it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
DV 3rd party claim is a valid claim in US 50 states. Remember, by law, you are entitled to be "WHOLE" again. That is, if you or your vehicle that suffers from its original state, you are entitled to be made WHOLE again.

I recently went thru the DV claim with my 2007 Toyota Sienna. I had 15K damages and it turns out I have 9K in DV claim. Still under negoiation with the default insurance and I will settle it with 7-80% of my loss DV.

One thing you have to be sure... you need to support and proof your DV. So, go and get some written offer from your local dealers (like carmax). and print off the market value trade in from a few different sources like NADA.com, Edmunds.com and etc...

Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
"DV 3rd party claim is a valid claim in US 50 states. Remember, by law, you are entitled to be "WHOLE" again. That is, if you or your vehicle that suffers from its original state, you are entitled to be made WHOLE again."

I had no idea about that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts