BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Porsche Ex-Pat
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as I have heard before, the factory jack is a piece of junk. I am not sure how such a large car is meant to be supported by such a crappy litte jack.

I have used it successfully (many times) in the 3 years since I got my 22's. Many more times than I would like. But now, I am going to take a break from the 22's for a while (again). Just can't babysit them right now.

This happened the other night on my way home from work. I felt the flat (I had just checked the pressure 2 days prior), pulled over and was happy it was not pitch dark yet. Jacked the car up as I have many times before, leaned in to get the spare, and at that instant realized I forgot to set the parking brake :yikes:

Car moved forward just a TINY bit and the jack gave way. It made a HORRIBLE noise when it landed, and worse yet, pinned the puny little jack under the side skirt. I was quietly thankful that my head/hand/legs were not under there when it went down.

Called the wife and she came and got me and I picked up my 3 ton floor jack and got it jacked back up and the spare on. I wasn't sure about that rotor, so I drove away VERY slowly with the windows down and radio off. I was surprised that there was no wobble, no noise, no ticking, no body damage, no nothing,. In fact, it feels 100% normal. Maybe I dodged a bullet after all.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics I snapped for my bimmerfest bretheren in my anguish.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
it appears the rotor pivoted away to it's max and the car came to a rest on the rest of the stuff on the passenger rear. You had a few mistakes:

1. You are supposed to take the spare and tools out of the car before loosening or jacking up the car.
2. Set the parking brake!
3. Make sure the car doesn't move by putting it in neutral and pushing, 1/4 inch is too much!
4. The road has a severe crown to it, look at the photos! that put more stress on the punny little jack! Best bet is to find a parking lot or gas-station and change it there.

Be thankful your hands/limbs were not under the car at the time otherwise there would have been a nice hospital bill waiting for you!

I suggest you put the car up on a lift and check out the rear suspension and stuff. As well it appears something leaked out near the tire, it appears wet and I think that the fuel tank is there...

·
It's all about me!
1,519 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt when this happened.

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
I have nightmares of this kind of stuff, is that weird? Really sorry to hear about your misfortune, but glad to hear it all ended up okay in the end!

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
:eek: i've always had those fears. during the winter, i had a 2.5T trolley jack in the car.

be sure to use the wheel chalk as well, parking brake, be on level solid pavement and as others have said, have everything you need out of the car first. doors closed is best as well to keep frame twisting to a minimum.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had a freind that passed away because of a ****ty jack. He had a honda accord dropped. He was home alone at the time, he decided he wanted to fix something on the bottom of the car. So he jacked up the car got under, as he was moving something on the bottom the car fell right on his chest. Suffocated to death since there was no one home to help him.

I tend to put the spare tire under the car when its jacked up.

·
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg
1,215 Posts
I wouldn't worry about your rotor. There pretty tough...
I bought a little jack at the local auto store. Small hydraulic one. Very small but works great. You might want to check it out... Keep it in the trunk.
Haven't had a flat since I bought it. I guess Murphy decided he couldn't get the best of me that way any more...

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
well that must be embarassing to work on your seven on the side of the road...

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Lol chill. I meant it as in the way of how the car is so nice and when people drive by they see you repairing it... you know what I mean

But, it looks like you guys do it often.......

·
the cleanest1
2,632 Posts
Its better to atleast look like you rapairing it or will you just stand there and look at the flat tire and wait till someone pulls up and ask you if you need help and change it for you. Now that would be embarrasing. I had to do that to a friend of mine. I told him to loosen the nuts and he didnt even know which way to turn the nuts to get them unscrewed, left or right. Dumbass.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Its better to atleast look like you rapairing it or will you just stand there and look at the flat tire and wait till someone pulls up and ask you if you need help and change it for you. Now that would be embarrasing. I had to do that to a friend of mine. I told him to loosen the nuts and he didnt even know which way to turn the nuts to get them unscrewed, left or right. Dumbass.
Okay, I don't think anyone here understood what I meant. Obviously if this happened, you would HAVE to pull over and repair it. I'm just saying how it would look embarassing, not that you can do something else in the situation.:)

·
President
8,099 Posts
Okay, I don't think anyone here understood what I meant. Obviously if this happened, you would HAVE to pull over and repair it. I'm just saying how it would look embarassing, not that you can do something else in the situation.:)
just stop talking

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

·
Porsche Ex-Pat
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You guys crack me up.

What is embarrasing is the fact that I continue to run these 22's when I have so much problem with them. However, standing by the side of the road waiting for the wife and kids to pull up so I can go pick up a jack . . .is. . . umm - humbling. Yeah, that's the right word.

Thanks for the well wishes - I too am glad I did not get hurt, and I am very sorry to hear about the guy who died under his Honda. Uggh.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What's so embarassing about changing a flat tire?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts