BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK the handbrake was working fine but brakes shot to he'll so I changed all discs and pads but not handbrake and assumed it would be fine on new discs but now I can pull it high as it will go and doesn't even slow the car, I lifted handbrake gaiter and tried to lock the service spring in compressed position but the end of the spring is right back under handbrake I'm assuming were it would be in locked position but in uncompressed state do I can't push it to lock it, I tried the shoes and had them locking tight in handbrake off position then back a click or 2 but still when handbrake applied it feels like it's not attached so am I right in thinking maybe needs new handbrake lever, shoes looked OK to me but I'm thinking for cost just do them aswell

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
What did the hand brake shoes look like when you removed the rear rotors? If you did not adjust the star wheel to remove the rotors, how did you get them off? Did you adjust the the star wheel after putting the new rotors on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should deglaze the HB shoes with 80grit paper. Do the same to the inside of the rotor. Make sure the adjust wheel assembly is moving freely and also check the cable lever moves freely and returns to fully off. You should slacken off the two cables on the lever in the car first, completely. Put the rotors back on, looking through a bolt hole keep turning the cogged adjuster until the rotors are no longer turning by hand. Give the rotor a whack with a hide hammer, this will free of the rotor a bit. If the rotors do turn, ratchet the adjuster until they don't, then whack the rotor again. Once you are happy you cannot turn them by hand, back off the adjuster 5 clicks. Whack the rotor again with the hide hammer to centralise the shoes. Do the other side, then with the back tyres back on and still off the ground, get in and adjust the cables. Adjust so they lever comes up around 3 to 4 clicks. Pull the lever up until you feel slight resistance. Get out and try and turn the rear wheels. Check they both have the same amount of drag. Release the lever and check the wheels turn freely. On your road test balance the handbrake by making sure the rear squats equally. On returning make sure the shoes are not binding. If not, your done. If they are, remove one bolt and with a torch rotate the wheel until you can see the adjuster and back it off one click. Check again. A binding handbrake will destroy the shoes and in really bad cases, delaminate, and get jammed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What did the hand brake shoes look like when you removed the rear rotors? If you did not adjust the star wheel to remove the rotors, how did you get them off? Did you adjust the the star wheel after putting the new rotors on?
The looked filthy but OK and I just pulled disc off, I didn't slacken the wheel but handbrake used to work fine also I did adjust wheel with new rotors on but no feel at lever

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should deglaze the HB shoes with 80grit paper. Do the same to the inside of the rotor. Make sure the adjust wheel assembly is moving freely and also check the cable lever moves freely and returns to fully off. You should slacken off the two cables on the lever in the car first, completely. Put the rotors back on, looking through a bolt hole keep turning the cogged adjuster until the rotors are no longer turning by hand. Give the rotor a whack with a hide hammer, this will free of the rotor a bit. If the rotors do turn, ratchet the adjuster until they don't, then whack the rotor again. Once you are happy you cannot turn them by hand, back off the adjuster 5 clicks. Whack the rotor again with the hide hammer to centralise the shoes. Do the other side, then with the back tyres back on and still off the ground, get in and adjust the cables. Adjust so they lever comes up around 3 to 4 clicks. Pull the lever up until you feel slight resistance. Get out and try and turn the rear wheels. Check they both have the same amount of drag. Release the lever and check the wheels turn freely. On your road test balance the handbrake by making sure the rear squats equally. On returning make sure the shoes are not binding. If not, your done. If they are, remove one bolt and with a torch rotate the wheel until you can see the adjuster and back it off one click. Check again. A binding handbrake will destroy the shoes and in really bad cases, delaminate, and get jammed.
I think the issue is the lever, the spring underneath lever as mentioned online cannot be pushed back and locked compressed because the whole spring is back pastvthe lock hook in uncompressed state so I'm thinking there is issue at lever and for the worth I think it may be prudent to change the shoes aswell

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
There is a procedure for adjusting the hand brake lever but it's only done after the shoes are properly seated and the star wheel has been adjusted.

·
Registered
613 Posts
A hint or two when you try to push back the spring. First make sure you use a long screwdriver - a very long one. If not you will not be able to apply the needed pressure.
I tried multiple times with a regular screwdriver that I believed was of adequate length but thenI saw the special tool that BMW makes for the job. Maybe you are in the same situation.
Secondly you can use press on the half of the spring “head” as you will be blocking the place where the hook will need to catch on.
‘However in the end I was very disappointed over the breaking power after a complete renovation so I still have something to figure out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My spring isn't correct tho it Is all way back with hook through the hole and springs uncompressed not compressed and the hook is to slack to clip on end that's why I'm thinking it must be faulty so I've ordered a new lever and shoes my thoughts were remove centre console detach and remove old lever push back springand fit to car then new shoeths on rear with adjuster and springs/mechanism, reconnect cable, adjust shoes, then undo spring at lever and ho from there

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you get the service kit then all the parts are included for a complete rebuild. You can find the p/n on realoem - I recently bought a complete kit from Brembo and I was really amazed by the price. So a real no brainer to me..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was wondering of I replaced all the shoes, adjusters, springs etc and removed handbrake lever would it work if I compressed service spring then fitted lever onto cables then into car then adjusted rear shoes then when adjusted unclipped handbrake spring

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK an update and I feel like a idiot, I bought new shoes, fitting kit and handbrake lever was going to fit all today but in a lot of pain so sat looking at lever and thought it couldn't be ........ went out to car tried theory and lo and behold it bloody worked, the locking clip for the service lock spring was stuck in place I pulled up lever really pushed on spring end and sideways slightly then it unhooked and handbrake holding car tight on 3 clicks, 4 if feeling really strong lol

·
Registered
613 Posts
Tension on the cable and good stopping power is not always linked together as I found out.
So test it before you declare victory..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts