BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently BMW classifies the "recall" and the "warranty" separately.

Engine light came one. OBDB pointed to fuel pump.

I took it to dealer and they said it could be fuel pump or sensor.

After diagnosing they said it was "both." HFPF was covered under warrantly. Low pressure sensor was not.

Now, the recall Technical Services bulletin said the LP sensor should be replaced under recall if it is bad. But the Warranty does not cover it. Since I already had the recall (this is third HPFP), they call it warranty work.

I cannot help but think that they either didn't test it according to the recall TSB methods and just "replaced" and that the problems related to the HPFP cause damage to the sensor (or why else would it need to be replaced under recall of the HPFP?).

I haven't seen this in the forum. Has anybody else run into the "This is warranty so it's not covered but it would have been covered if it was recall" problem? LP sense plus laber was about $250.

· Registered
893 Posts
You should have asked for "goodwill" coverage on the sensor...especially after 3 HPFP replacements. I bet they would have given it to you with a little pushing.

· Banned
10,511 Posts
I took it to dealer and they said it could be fuel pump or sensor.

After diagnosing they said it was "both." HFPF was covered under warrantly. Low pressure sensor was not.

LP sense plus laber was about $250.
Guessing the Low Pressure Sensor is in fact a pressure sensor. Further guess failure meant HPFP did not receive sufficient suction side pressure to prevent cavitation. Thus, HPFP failed in its turn.

Blame it on the corn. Will drought mean the end of HPFP issues?

So....where exactly is this Low Pressure Sensor? Fuel tank maybe - lotsa labor if was easy replacement....

· Registered
1,652 Posts
...Blame it on the corn. Will drought mean the end of HPFP issues?...QUOTE]

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbup:

I was thinking about that myself, today. Hopefully the ethanol will all but disappear with the inevitable, drought-related rise in corn prices.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should have asked for "goodwill" coverage on the sensor...especially after 3 HPFP replacements. I bet they would have given it to you with a little pushing.
Dealer as adamantly 'No'. I have call into bmwusa. They know the HPFP can damage the sensor and that's why it's covered in recall. Since the recall was supposed to 'fix' the problem, they didn't include sensor in future warranty.

There is no doubt that the three HPFP failures put pressure on the LP side causing the sensor failure.

The Recall even says "If you get this code, replace the sensor and it's a covered part." Not listed in the warranty though. THe result is the same thoug. They replace the sensor except it's not a covered component.10E-W01

· Registered
6,905 Posts
...Blame it on the corn. Will drought mean the end of HPFP issues?...
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbup:

I was thinking about that myself, today. Hopefully the ethanol will all but disappear with the inevitable, drought-related rise in corn prices.
Doubtful (too many vested interests in ethanol). But the price advantage for diesel vs. premium unleaded should improve. :angel:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.