BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this is not another "my key fob won't open the doors" thread. I have had that issue on my car and had it fixed last year. But something weird happened with my locks day before yesterday.

I was out with my wife for a lunch date. On the way back she decides to stop at this boutique furniture store and picked up a "patti cabinet" (I swear that's what the store owner called it). I swing the car by to load it in the trunk and as I was unlocking the car, the front door actuator made a rapid clicking noise and my heart sank (expecting another $500-$600 fix). To make long story short, I load up the piece of furniture, and get in the car and head home.

As the car gained speed, the locks on all other doors (except the driver side) engaged while the driver side lock remained unlocked. At this point I made a mental note of calling the shop to make an appointment.

Fast forward to this morning, I had to drop off my kiddo at his day care, so I loaded him up in the car and as I pull out of the drive way, I hear the all familiar clicks and voila! the driver door was locked. I reached his day care and used the fob to lock/un-lock the door multiple times and it worked every single time.

So, my question, what could have happened which caused the driver door to not lock a couple days ago? I know I am ready to get a new battery in a month or so, but if it's the battery then none of the locks shouldn't engage, right?

· Registered
210 Posts
I've heard this noise ... with comfort access, if i grab the driver's door handle in a certain way, I'm touching both the lock and unlock pads. The system seems to read both, and you get this clicking noise - almost like plastic gears grinding. Sounds terrible.

As to the door not locking, maybe you just needed to cycle (lock-unlock-lock) the door to reset it.

· Registered
72 Posts
Ok, so this is not another "my key fob won't open the doors" thread. I have had that issue on my car and had it fixed last year. But something weird happened with my locks day before yesterday.

I was out with my wife for a lunch date. On the way back she decides to stop at this boutique furniture store and picked up a "patti cabinet" (I swear that's what the store owner called it). I swing the car by to load it in the trunk and as I was unlocking the car, the front door actuator made a rapid clicking noise and my heart sank (expecting another $500-$600 fix). To make long story short, I load up the piece of furniture, and get in the car and head home.

As the car gained speed, the locks on all other doors (except the driver side) engaged while the driver side lock remained unlocked. At this point I made a mental note of calling the shop to make an appointment.

Fast forward to this morning, I had to drop off my kiddo at his day care, so I loaded him up in the car and as I pull out of the drive way, I hear the all familiar clicks and voila! the driver door was locked. I reached his day care and used the fob to lock/un-lock the door multiple times and it worked every single time.

So, my question, what could have happened which caused the driver door to not lock a couple days ago? I know I am ready to get a new battery in a month or so, but if it's the battery then none of the locks shouldn't engage, right?
I very well know that "patti cabinet"... My wife took me to a boutique store to buy one too.

· Registered
244 Posts
I had the same isue last week, fob would not unlock drivers side,drivers door would not lock once car got to speed and also had the rapid locking sound. I brought the car in to an independent shop. He replaced the actuator, problem solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.