BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading webguy330i's post, I figured I would go to my dealer (same dealer for webguy330i) and see if I could take the car out. I'm just getting back from a 20 min. test drive of the car and all I can say is:

OH MY GOD!!!

This car is absolutely AMAZING!

It took my dealer about a minute to explain the system before I was off.

Just starting the car and hearing the rumbling of the exhaust instantly brings a huge grin to your face. The sound of the exhaust is soooo sweet to your ears (remember I haven't even moved yet). I must have sat there for a good minute or two just taking in the experience. Now to the actual drive . . .

I had to wait a little bit before I really could get on the gas, considering it was only 46F outside and the car needed to warm up. I wish all cars had the lights above the RPM to let you know when the car was all toasty warm.

I put the car in the 5th manual position (I guess this is the second to most aggressive) and pulled out onto the main road (which is a long straightaway) and brought the car up to 5K RPM before shifting. This car gets up to speed quick. I had to keep my eyes on the RPM gauge to make sure I didn't go into the yellow area. It didn't take too long for the car to finally warm up and then I really got on the gas. There are a lot of lights on the main road heading away from the dealership and I could'nt help but get stuck at almost all of them. Pulling away from the lights was a total delight. The exhaust just starts to growl and this car really wants to be shifted up near its readline (8k RPM!!!) every time. The car just seems to be begging you for more.

The shifting on the car was pretty wild. I had a lot of fun downshifting just to hear the engine "blip". What a great sound!! I pushed the "Sport" button (I guess the car started off with the light off) and the steering immediately tightens up. This car has so many cool technical gadgets in it. It didn't take too long to get used to the fact that the car has no third pedal. I found myself going for a clutch on several occasions. The car definitely shifts extremely fast and the fact that you can just lay on the gas while manually shifting is a complete blast!

The only problem with Buffalo is that there aren't many roads where I could really try out the handling of the car. Most of the roads here are completely straight so most of my time was spent accelerating hard, slowing down to about 30, downshifting and laying on the gas again.

When I got the car it had over 1820 miles on it and when I gave it back to my dealer it had around 1835 or so. Dave (my dealer) said that the car has been driven a lot and that the local Troopers have asked that the dealership tell people to take it easy around the area and that they were watching. Dave wasn't kidding either. I almost freaked out when I was coming to an intersection and a trooper had his lights and sirens on coming in the opposite direction. I was doing well over 70 in a 45 but luckily he turned at the light before I got to the intersection . . .

When I got back to the dealership I probably spent another minute or two just sitting there, not wanting to turn off that engine so I could just savor that moment. . .

When I gave the keys back to Dave, he just smiled and asked how it was. He really didn't need an answer since I had a grin on my face from the time I left the dealership to the time I got back. I told him that thanks to that test drive I would probably be trading my car in two or three years to get one. I only wish I could afford this car now!! :D :D :D

I will be getting my car in about two weeks and I hope I didn't spoil anything for myself.

I am going to see if he'll let me take one of the M5's out next time I'm there. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Great write-up. One of the many reasons why I'm avoiding to test drive an M3 till the time I'm sure I can buy it :D

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Haha! That's awesome! Dave told me the same thing about the troopers, and of course while I was out driving the thing I saw 3 people pulled over. They're tough right there at Main & Transit.

BTW I know exactly what you mean about not being able to test out the handling. If you take a right on transit and go down about 1/2 a mile you'll come to a highway junction (can't remember the number). Take a left onto the on ramp and it's a solid 90 degree turn... that's where I briefly tested the M5's handling out.

Congrats on becoming the most recent M3 addict!! :D

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
I'm thinking he might have meant throttle, but then again when you're driving this car your thoughts can get slightly blurred. =)

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
atyclb said:

Actually, it's not an uncommon misconception. On the M5, the SPORT button does affect steering as well as throttle response
Damn really?! How does it change the steering? Does it make it heavier or decrease the L2L?

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
webguy330i said:
When tam3 gets her SMG 'vert, we'll have to go for a joy ride to buffalo! :D
Let me know, we can then take a trip up to Toronto, go clubbin' and watch some flicks on the way back. :D :D

BTW, my Dad is going to buy the M3 convertible w/SMG thru Dave. He couldn't find a dealership in the NYC area with both the M3 & SMG to test drive. He's calling dealers in NJ so he can take one out. He's already set on buying the car though. . . that bastard! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts