BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished this up today. I actually had an installer do the install and will say it came out great. I added a pair of Image Dynamic IDQ12s and must that it's the added bass I was looking for. It doesn't sound like a ghetto box either, the subs are fast, accurate and have a nice punch to them. If your looking for a way to add subs definitely check out the REQ(5). I went with the REQ5 for my install. I used advice from REQ which was to tap into a full range speaker then add from there. So if anyone is on the fence, it's well worth it. I think by now we have enough notes which should make it easy for everyone.

Thanks IROK

My next step is to install the Mobridge kit when it arrives and I'll be happy with the audio.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Finally finished this up today. I actually had an installer do the install and will say it came out great. I added a pair of Image Dynamic IDQ12s and must that it's the added bass I was looking for. It doesn't sound like a ghetto box either, the subs are fast, accurate and have a nice punch to them. If your looking for a way to add subs definitely check out the REQ(5). I went with the REQ5 for my install. I used advice from REQ which was to tap into a full range speaker then add from there. So if anyone is on the fence, it's well worth it. I think by now we have enough notes which should make it easy for everyone.

Thanks IROK

My next step is to install the Mobridge kit when it arrives and I'll be happy with the audio.
how much was the total install..i'll b doing mines in november but im only adding aftermarket 8'' subs under the seat not too much..and how much was that mobridge kit im thinking about getting that also?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Installed 500 with purchase of the enclosure for subs. With the IDQ12s I get no rattle and still have access to spare tire. Mobridge kit was 499 from EAS. Wishing it was cheaper, but what can you do when it's the only option we have with earlier 7 series vehicles.

·
RockStar!
2,310 Posts

Thanks IROK

good to hear man gongrats. i hope it sounds good. btw were did you hook up the remote power wire? i cant find anything that shuts off after a few minutes

·
Registered
119 Posts
installed 500 with purchase of the enclosure for subs. With the idq12s i get no rattle and still have access to spare tire. Mobridge kit was 499 from eas. Wishing it was cheaper, but what can you do when it's the only option we have with earlier 7 series vehicles.
one thing i am concerned with..my subs r bridged so therefor they r only using one signal from my logic 7 amp bcuz the other signal is no good..im guessing i will still need to buy another logic 7 amp to utilize both signals seeing as tho the aftermarket amp will only b used for bass..is this not true?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need to tap into a full range speaker. This tells the MTX where the factory roll off is and allows the MTX to zero everything out. From there you can make those adjustments in the REQ. Plug in a set of RCAs to aftermarket amp and wire the subs. REQ remote wire attaches to the amp. If doing this yourself it should take no longer than 3hrs. I sat there with the amp schematic while my installer did this.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
745japan there are 2 remote wires .
1 is in for the req- which is red and 1 is blue which is out for the amp. were did you connect the red to?
I'll have to check for you Irok. Son a gun I blew those freaking IDQs tonight with that 1500D Sundown Amp. IDQ subs were rated at 350 rms, so I think I need something that can handle the power man. Thinking of going Sundown SA12 subs. 600RMS each and they sound good. It's either those are some IDQ version 3

·
RockStar!
2,310 Posts
I'll have to check for you Irok. Son a gun I blew those freaking IDQs tonight with that 1500D Sundown Amp. IDQ subs were rated at 350 rms, so I think I need something that can handle the power man. Thinking of going Sundown SA12 subs. 600RMS each and they sound good. It's either those are some IDQ version 3
damn how loud you playing your music. lol. btw if you can also find out which full range speakers they used to hook up the req it will be great!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Irok I took the subs out of the enclosure yesterday and it seems the glue around the cones came apart. Also the subs smell as if something burnt inside of the coils. I'm going to attempt to send them back and replace with Fosgate T1s, I like the IDQs but I don't want to keep shipping things back and forth. Also behind my seats is solid metal, guessing the trunk is sealed. Do you have a boot there or something?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just ordered my RQ. I plan on using the wiring from my rear deck speakers. Going to run a PUNCH 150 amp bridged to a Alpine pro series 10" in an isoberic box enclosure in the trunk. I am having problems with my front door speakers right now. They sound blown, Im not going to change out the head unit for obvious reasons.

I have quite a bit of Car audio experience, but ZERO experience with the 7 series. I just bought the car and I am afraid to piddle with too much right now. There arent many knowledgeable guys on the Forum (atleast that I have found so far). I will update as I get it installed.

Also, I will poke around in the Fuse box in the trunk to find a remote "on/off" for the RQ, even though it says there is a "auto shutoff" for the RQ? Anyways, will provide an update, the RQ seems pretty simple. The 3 hour time frame sounds about right.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds good TUF, if the door speakers are blown I would simply replace them. I used the rear speakers and deck speakers to tap into for the REQ. From there I simply ran the sub/amp and cap as you normally would. Overall not too bad, minus the fact my subs came apart from the cones. Weak glue and requirement replacement, I'm going Fi or Fosgates this time around.

·
RockStar!
2,310 Posts
745japan i figurred it out how your system shuts on an off. when you connect the grey and white wires ( 2 ch on the req not the bass) to a speaker when you put in your key and the door chims it wakes up. i have to rewire it. btw were did you get the wiring for the rear deck speakers. if you want to run wires from front to trunk you have to remove the rear seat and there is a boot in the top left corner (driver side)

·
Registered
119 Posts
745japan i figurred it out how your system shuts on an off. when you connect the grey and white wires ( 2 ch on the req not the bass) to a speaker when you put in your key and the door chims it wakes up. i have to rewire it. btw were did you get the wiring for the rear deck speakers. if you want to run wires from front to trunk you have to remove the rear seat and there is a boot in the top left corner (driver side)
hey rock star did u jus order your wire kit with ur req 5 or did u have everything already and besides that amp and req did u need anything else

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
+1 get a good kit, I used everything in the kit minus RCAs, I bought some higher priced ones. I tapped everything in the trunk Irock at the OEM BMW amp bro. You only need to tap one set of full range speaks bro.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.