BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Horsepower is only one small factor in how a car feels and performs in the real world, on public roads. The subjective "feel" of an automobile is what makes certain cars special, and others nothing to write home about. BMWs feel great on the road - responsive, alive, eager to play. Certain other vehicles may have greater horsepower or post better 0-60 times, but they simply don't feel good when you are driving. And, except for teenage boys. horsepower figures and acceleration times are fairly irrelevant in the real world of driving.

Now that I've said all that, I must admit that I am a Honda fan.
Hondas, as far as family cars go, have a lot more "fun to drive" factor than their competitors. Most Hondas have accurate steering with excellent turn-in, responsive engines, and better than average handling. However, they are not BMWs and are not as much fun to drive as a BMW is.

I don't think the E46 has much to worry about from the 2003 Accord.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
PhilH said:

I've never driven one, but from everything I've read...no.

An excerpt from a recent Road & Track on the S60 T5:

The biggest problem Volvo's have are FWD, unsophisticated drive train that has lots of play esp. with the high hp ones and sloshie suspensions. Volvo's aren't even in the same ball park as BMW. Even the Saab 9-5 has a more civilized suspension& drivetrain.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
BMW's "Feel" is going to be easily reproducible in the near future. Numb clutches, e-throttles, soggy suspensions, steering debacles.... all show a clear trend for another future BMW acronym.... DFS: Driving Feel Simulator.

DFS... a combination of software, control systems and force feedback will simulate driving feel. Standard on all 2005 BMW's, the Bosch developed DFS system will equip BMW's with industry leading driving feel.

Unfortunately, Bosch has an exclusive contract with Nissan such that the v2.0 DFS will surpass v1.0 DFS.

What happens in 2006 when Nissan's will not only out handle, have higher power and outbrake... but have better "feel" programmed into them than BMW's??

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
CD-55 said:
Nobody else thinks BMW needs to catch-up to the Volvo S60?;)
Nada, stopped in heavy commute traffic theis AM, driver in next lane in new S60 keeps straining to look at my 330. Guess the hype has worn off. :D

21 - 24 of 24 Posts