BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2000 528i. Cooling system was overhauled two months ago and bled properly. All of a sudden, temp needle shot up all the way to the right, but the red light did not illuminate. There was no smoke at all after driving the car for about five minutes and loss most of the coolant through the cap on the expansion tank. There was a total loss of power and lots of rattle/click type noises. Ses came on and Dis and Inpa both revealed oil temp sensor/coolant temp sensor faults/shorts negative ground. Now even when I depressed the clutch there are wierd sounds coming from the clutch area.
Is it possible for both sensors to go bad at the same time? Its sounds unlikely.

· Registered
4,728 Posts
Maybe the double temp switch bit the dust p/n 13621703993 in this diagram?

P.S.: just noticed that you had a almost TOTAL loss of coolant in the expansion tank - you kept the old cap, you didn't change it out with a new one? Something went wrong there. If lucky, you have only toast sensors (temp sensors) which you have to check, including the ones at the OFH - oil pressure sensor & temp sensor

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It turns out my bosch pump that was less than two months old went bad. Plastic impeller was shattered inside the housing. I shouldve went with a metal impeller.
Car wasnt over heating before overhaul....just figured Id do preventive maintenance.

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear you. I cant believe that thing just went. I got the pump from fcp groton... Second time something goes wrong with their parts. Never again.

· Registered
4,728 Posts
I went with the more expensive Stewart high performance one. Skeptikal at the beginning due to the price. I'm a believer now. Keeps the flow running very nicely. We had some 30°C and in stop-and-go traffic, I can see the 96°C flickering when idling for minutes. Usually the temp stays between 92°C-94°C. Was at 98°C steady under the same circumstances with the OEM pump.

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cant believe that thing just went./quote]

Is your engine ok?
I believe the engine is fine, but to be sure im doing a compression test this week. I will post back the results.

What stumps me is that the needle was past the red and there was no smoke coming from the motor whatsoever.

· Matching beemer & bimmer
657 Posts
the needle was past the red and there was no smoke
It's not an area I know much about but I always figured the "smoke" was steam.

And that the steam was from a leak of liquid coolant vaporizing on the hot engine.

Is there usually steam when there is no leak?

If for example the fan wasn't working, wouldn't the temperature shoot up without steam occurring?

Or if the thermostat were blocked shut, wouldn't that cause the engine to heat up enough to make the needle move to the red zone without generating steam?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.