BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started up my Sirius service shortly after redelivery in May. For about a month and a half the service has been great. Occasionally I would lose signal, but for the most part I had uninterrupted service. Recently, I've noticed that in certain parts of greater Detroit that I travel through (Novi/Northville, Troy, Lodge Fwy near Davidson Fwy, I75 north of I696) I get long periods of "Acquiring Signal" or no sound despite having a signal. I called up Sirius and obviously there is nothing wrong with their service or coverage. I am thinking about taking the car in to get the receiver and antenna looked at, but I want to make sure that the signal lose is not due to poor coverage from Sirius.

Any fellow Detroit members with Sirius having similar signal issue?

·
Registered
657 Posts
LDRunner said:
I started up my Sirius service shortly after redelivery in May. For about a month and a half the service has been great. Occasionally I would lose signal, but for the most part I had uninterrupted service. Recently, I've noticed that in certain parts of greater Detroit that I travel through (Novi/Northville, Troy, Lodge Fwy near Davidson Fwy, I75 north of I696) I get long periods of "Acquiring Signal" or no sound despite having a signal. I called up Sirius and obviously there is nothing wrong with their service or coverage. I am thinking about taking the car in to get the receiver and antenna looked at, but I want to make sure that the signal lose is not due to poor coverage from Sirius.

Any fellow Detroit members with Sirius having similar signal issue?
I'm in Georgia, however I had areas wher the signal would drop every time in the same place. Recently, I had my car serviced for an unrealted problem and I noticed on the service invoice that they updated my computer to 22.01. Today, while driving on these same roads, I did not drop the signal one time.

I'm not sure if the new 22.01 update had anything to do with it, but before I had never been down that road without dropping the signal. Today twice on that road I did not drop the signal at all.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you have the little black antenna?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've had a couple sirius issues as well. A couple times, my signal will completely drop out for a couple secs, and right before the dropout, I can hear a distinctive "beep" sound. This has happened maybe ~5 times so far and is pretty random.

The other issue that I've had, is that I started up the car and had no sirius at all during the whole course of my 15 minute drive. When I got to my destination, I got out and locked the car, and then, just as a test, I got back in and turned on the radio - what do ya know, the sirius was working again. Very odd. I like Sirius, but so far, BMW's implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sirius Issues

Since I am still waiting for re-delivery of my 325xi, I am still driving my 2002 Merc Mountaineer alot. Last yr, I installed a Sirius Starmate receiver which broadcasts to my FM radio. It has been basically OK but recently, it has gone dead for long periods of time and it gets hung up on "acquiring signal." Then all of a sudden, it would start playing again. I assumed that there is a problem with my receiver but pehaps it is a problem at Sirius' end. Here in MA, we have alot of streets with a tree canope and the signal cuts out often, but this is different.:dunno:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've also noticed increased signal fades lately. I think this may be due to solar interference as the sun is moving lower in the sky.

Of course summer foliage also increases dropouts, but I expect most people understand this since it is similar to the problems experienced in tunnels and overpasses.

Has anybody noticed more dropouts when the sun is not shining? Do you drive the same roads at different times...both day and night....with different results?

Here is an interesting link that shows the satellites Sirius is using.

http://www.cashflowbusiness.net/siri_orbit.htm

Receiving a continuous data stream from multiple satellites while mobile is a extremely challenging. I'm surprised Sirius works as well as it does!

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Line of Sight

SAT Radio in the Bimmers are weak (Power unit) and require 'Line of Sight' all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts