Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was presented with a deal I couldn't pass up and added another wagon to the collection. This is my second E61 and 3rd wagon.

1st E61: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908702
E39 Touring: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1245562

I have known of this wagon for a while, back when my E61 was stock I used this wagon as inspiration for the M5 front end conversion and as a reference when calculating my wheel offsets and fitment. Funny how it ended up in my possession. I am the 4th owner, California car all it's life, from 60,000 to current 127,000 it was the daily driver for the owner of an automotive shop in Orange County. The wagon presents well, the body is very clean, and mechanically it's solid. There are some small issues to address which will make it a very polished example.

06/2008 Build
Grey Interior
Comfort Seats
DSP HiFi
Grigio Telesto Paint + Gloss Black Roof
OEM M5 Front End Conversion
Vossen CV3 20x9F 20x10.5R Hankook V12s
Dinan Muffler
COBB Accessport

THE PLAN:
- Address all necessary repairs, maintenance, and preventative maintenance
- Refine fitment
- Downpipes, FMIC, intake. Nothing crazy just letting the motor work more efficiently.
- If the wagon stays AT the I will retrofit a wheel with paddles and run the XHP trans tune.

- If I find a great deal on a manual 535xi donor car then I will execute a manual swap and hopefully a custom grey on black interior (similar to my white E61's interior).

Should be a fun project, here are some pictures,
Evan

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks mint! Got anything special in mind, or will this one be more of a daily driver?
This project will be pretty basic. Just repairs and maintenance which haven't been done and some tasteful upgrades to further enhance the vehicle and prep it for the next owner.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Noyce. Not sure how I feel about the black circular hood and hatch ornaments though. Not like they're fooling anyone. LOL
I can't wait to put the gloss black kidneys on my E61 later today. That and the engine cover, seeing as how the misfires were cured with new Bosch plugs (100k on originals, per previous owner).

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noyce. Not sure how I feel about the black circular hood and hatch ornaments though. Not like they're fooling anyone. LOL
I can't wait to put the gloss black kidneys on my E61 later today. That and the engine cover, seeing as how the misfires were cured with new Bosch plugs (100k on originals, per previous owner).
The wagon came with aftermarket CF roundels which were severely UV damaged, trust me these look better. Not trying to fool anyone just saving their eyes from the ugliness that was the old ones. I have new OEM roundels in the mail do you can rest assured these are merely a temp solution.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The wagon came with aftermarket CF roundels which were severely UV damaged, trust me these look better. Not trying to fool anyone just saving their eyes from the ugliness that was the old ones. I have new OEM roundels in the mail do you can rest assured these are merely a temp solution.
Well that's good, or we were going to have to take away judging points at the next Concours de Bitchin' E61.
Please keep us updated. I plan to do my own thread post-purchase but it won't be anywhere near as awesome as yours.

·
pay it forward
1,386 Posts
Looking good. I just got a 2008 E91 and am addressing some issues then will be adding air intake, custom manifold, and headers! Won’t be the fastest wagon but it will sure be fun! I’ve 141,XXX on the ODO and am the third owner. I really like the vossens. I picked up some BBS RGR’s for summer driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wagon has received various little upgrades and repairs, nothing major but it all adds up!

A dog's dilema ...which wagon?

Reconditioned and straightened Dinan muffler

Updated firmware on the Cobb Accessport, tune was previously set at Stage 1 and I adjusted that to Stage 1 with linear throttle, boost was coming on too hard and was making it unnecessarily hard to drive smoothly.

Phone cradle delete in center console

After

Front Bumper, side mirrors, top of reach bumper and the forward edge of the hood and fenders are all wrapped in clear bra, UV light took it's tool on the hood and fenders so it was removed.

Following clear bra removal the fenders and hood received a clay bar and some Chemical Guys V36.

Continued with restoring the window trim and roof rails
Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Also cleaned up the engine bay, here is a before and after

Stud conversion and wheel spacers arrived. 10mmF 5mmR

I took this opportunity to open up the M5 brake ducts

Front Before

Front After

Rear Before

Rear After

Now time for some coilovers...

·
Registered
337 Posts
How exactly did you remove the "phone cradle" storage box thingee? I have this same exact thing in my console and want to remove it since it's just another lid to get into and takes up a lot of space. I'm guessing you use a flat head screwdriver or trim removal tool to pry it out of the hole on each side then disconnect a harness connector or something similar but want to verify before I bust something up. I also see 4 small torx screws on the bottom of the storage box but not sure if I need to remove that bottom cover to get into the guts to then remove something else, or...

EDIT: Any idea what percentage window tint is on your new E61? Guessing it's ~35%, which is what I plan to get on mine today, but wanted to verify.

Phone cradle delete in center console

After

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Synced up with a local enthusiast who was parting out a few E60 M5s. I was able to get everything for the black interior conversion minus the door cards, seat backs, and lower seat trim. I also picked up a front/lower M5 splash shield in good condition.

I put all the small plastic trim pieces in the washing machine and after a quick cycle used some interior conditioner and a microfiber towel to clean/dry/condition and they look excellent, better than expected to be honest.

M5 carpet and splash shield

Center console

Downloaded the XHP Trans Tune Package (Stage 1, 2, 3) and flashed Stage 3 to give it a whirl, it sounds promising as it makes the trans 50-60% more responsive with some other benefits. I need to let adaptations relearn the new tune for ~50 miles before giving it the beans but excited to see the improvements.

Overkill for this TCU flashing but it's nice to know I could completely rewrite/flash a BMW overnight with the modules being help at a perfect 14.2v :) One badass charger.

I also snagged a lightly used M-sport SSG steering wheel from a 2010 550i w/ 19,000 miles and it looks to be one with Nappa leather so it's essentially an M5 wheel without the tri-color stitching and SSG push/pull paddles as opposed to the SMG pull/pull. I prefer the pull/pull style but the SSG does have 2 benefits: 1: You can drive and shift with one hand 2: If my research is correct retrofitting this only requires running 2 wires from the wheel, 1 to the DME and 1 ground, and some coding to integrate the wheel. XHP claims "instantaneous" paddle response, looking forward to that.
Here is a pic from the eBay listing, little dirty but should clean up nicely.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey, I forgot I asked a question above. How exactly did you remove the "phone cradle" storage box thingee in the center console. I took out the 4 torx screws from the bottom of that storage box and removed the upper portion of the box, then tried to wedge it out near the pivot points, but I can't quite remove it and don't want to break it. What's the secret?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, I forgot I asked a question above. How exactly did you remove the "phone cradle" storage box thingee in the center console. I took out the 4 torx screws from the bottom of that storage box and removed the upper portion of the box, then tried to wedge it out near the pivot points, but I can't quite remove it and don't want to break it. What's the secret?
The pivot point on one side will come out the other needs to be broken off, I pried it with a large screwdriver and then used pliers to pull off the remaining unsightly broken plastic. If you do it right it doesn't look "broken" IMO.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice weekend for the wagon.

- Cleaned and swapped most black interior pieces (need console, seat trim, and door cards)
- Ran wiring for paddle shifters
- Cleaned and installed nappa leather M sport wheel
- Installed Depo smoked side markers
- Replaced faulty TPMS module
- Installed new OEM roundels
- cleaned and conditioned leather seats
- installed new Bosch spark plugs
- Replaced driver seat belt
- repaired driver door weather stripping
- targeted valves which need cleaning and expansion tank which needs replacing

Stock side marker

Depo smoked side marker

You can see the driver seat belt was missing the plastic nub which keeps the buckle from sliding all the way down, it was pretty annoying to reach all the way down to your left hip for the buckle. Seat belt was replaced.

Had some left over wiring and pins from my manual swap on the white E61 so I built the wiring needed for my paddle shift retrofit

One wire to ground and the other to DME box, easy peasy

So much room for activities!

Before

During

After

With the seats out I took the opportunity to clean them. Horse hair brush, leather cleaner, micro fiber towel, leather conditioner

Weather stripping had worked loose

Repaired using the ever so awesome 3M VHB tape

Found a Nappa leather SSG M sport wheel on eBay from a 550i with 19,000 miles, shown left.

Cleaned up the leather, swapped over the old lower trim (not a fan of M badges) and transferred the buttons

Mechanic hack, release hood struts to open the hood 90 degrees for better lighting and access.

Took a peak at the valves and they will need to be walnut blasted

New bosch plugs

Expansion tank also looks to be nice and toasty, there are some stress cracks and discoloration so I ordered a new one.

New OEM roundels and RDC (TPMS) module to replace the faulty one.

For those who got unreasonably upset that I plasti-dipped the old UV damaged roundels, you can now relax and go find something else to stress over

·
Registered
637 Posts
Nice wagon. I need one with a hitch, bad.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
mine is for sale...and it has a hitch, which I forgot to mention in the listing ;-)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mine is for sale...and it has a hitch, which I forgot to mention in the listing ;-)
Why not send him a PM instead of spamming my build thread?

·
Registered
337 Posts
For those who got unreasonably upset that I plasti-dipped the old UV damaged roundels, you can now relax and go find something else to stress over
Why not send him a PM instead of spamming my build thread?
You seem rather snippy today. Take a break from the car and have a beer.
I'm thinking you're more the type of guy who just shows off instead of helping others, so I'll bow out of this thread now.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You seem rather snippy today. Take a break from the car and have a beer.
I'm thinking you're more the type of guy who just shows off instead of helping others, so I'll bow out of this thread now.
I think a lot of people in the community would disagree with you but you are entitled to your own opinion even if it is based off 2 comments and not my contributions to the community over the past 13 years.

I like to keep my build threads clutter free to people who come here to learn and enjoy them can have a better experience. This build thread isn't the place for another member to sell his car, he has a for sale thread for that, if he wants to contact another member, send a personal message. Call me snippy but I call that inconsiderate.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think a lot of people in the community would disagree with you but you are entitled to your own opinion even if it is based off 2 comments.

I like to keep my build threads clutter free to people who come here to learn and enjoy them can have a better experience. This build thread isn't the place for another member to sell his car, he has a for sale thread for that, if he wants to contact another member, send a personal message. Call me snippy but I call that inconsiderate.
First, I have always admire the projects you do, I failed to mentioned that in my post. Great quality work you do, kudos!

Second, I am sorry you feel like I am hijacking your thread, it was not the intent. Honestly, I don't even think he is that serious about it...if he is he will PM me. Additionally, I don't feel I hijacked your thread because I didn't even post the link to the "for sale" posting...being considerate of your thread.

Lastly, this is still an open forum where people can comment good or bad things about your thread/project and even post unrelated things, it is not a private-controlled environment, take it easy, it will save you a stone in your kidney ;-)

With that said, I am still sorry you feel that way....and :bow: to your new project!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts