Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I've never really Been a Wagon guy . But following your very informative and detailed threads have given me another out look . Really like that grey with gun metal wheels .

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Lastly, this is still an open forum where people can comment good or bad things about your thread/project and even post unrelated things, it is not a private-controlled environment, take it easy, it will save you a stone in your kidney ;-)
First of all I am not that upset about your comment as Mystic made it sound. I definitely prefer off topic stuff to NOT be in my build thread for the reasons I listed above but your comment did very little harm in that regard. I understand this is a discussion forum but if people treated it as an "open forum" as you suggest posting whatever they want whenever they wanted it would be complete chaos. Forums have different sections and sub sections to keep things organized. Threads have subjects for a reason, people clicking on build log want to see ...a build log.

I've never really Been a Wagon guy . But following your very informative and detailed threads have given me another out look . Really like that grey with gun metal wheels .
Thanks! Wagons are fantastic, they are like sedans that carry more stuff! I know you love the canyon carving so just image the look on people's faces when they see you smashing in a wagon! Now is a good time to buy since prices are cheap and with BMW NA stopping ALL wagon importation moving forward they are only going to become more rare.
Amazing. Love following your work.
I'm in love with wagons lately. Mostly e39 but you have me Interested in these E61 things.
If you haven't seen it you might enjoy my E39 Touring build log:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1245562

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The center console I got with the M5 part out was a little rougher than I was hoping with some scrapes, dents, and the leather bubbling/lifting in one area so I sourced some new pads/armrests. Some might consider these a "downgrade" since they are made of the same material as the dashboard and not wrapped i leather but I did the same swap on my white E61 and love them. I like how it matches the texture of the dash but more importantly, it's comfortable, and much more durable than the leather. For a high wear location like the console it makes sense.
BEFORE

AFTER

I collected and installed the remaining black lower seat trim and rail trim, with it installed the interior has undergone a nice transition, door cards and black seat backs are the only items left to do.

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
- Installed H&R Sport springs in the front and lowered the rear via coding.
- Built custom OEM+ rear door panels
- Replaced cooling expansion tank
- Changed oil and oil filter
- Replaced cabin air fliters
- Inspected and cleaned from end with bumper removed
- Adjusted Front Bumper, Headlight, and Hood fitment

Removed front bumper to inspect and clean items. Ended up correcting some of the wiring harness routing.

Cleaned the fins of the trans cooler and intercooler

Adjusted headlight brackets and removed RPI scoop.

Unused metal bracket: 0 OCD: 1

The old expansion tank clearly had seen some heat sitting above the turbos.

Oil Change and new Bosch filter

New cabin filters

I bought some used black door cards and built some "custom" OEM door cards by transferring over my leather inserts. A nice finishing touch are the Dirac (Individual Audio) speakers grills from an M5 which show off the DSP HiFi woofers behind.

This is my second time doing this project and using a sharp chisel + hammer is about 2-3 times as fast as using a Dremel or cutting tool, plus it's a lot cleaner.

All plastic rivets cut

Old leather insert removed

Speaker grill swapped

How I reassemble

Before

After

#DETAILS

Installed some H&R Sport springs up front

Coded the rear air

New stance, might lower the rear a tiny bit more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Beautiful build. You do very clean quality work, love the attention to details. Wish I had the time to treat my E60 to the attention it deserves like u do .

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Garage door lights FTW

Previous owner thought the injectors were on their last legs so I decided to dig into my library of lightly used coils and injectors. The original index 7 injectors with many miles were replaced with some index 9 injectors with ~60k on them. Cleaned and refreshed with obligatory seals.

Cleaned them good

Real good!

Ready for install

Coding injectors

Decided to inspect the transfer case actuator.

Happy to report all looked good. Nice to see BMW addressed the issue on previous actuators by replacing the plastic gears with metal ones, wish they would do the same for their water pump impellers.

Cleaned up and repacked with fresh grease

Guibo was toast, thankfully I had my old XI guibo left over from my RWD conversion. center support bearing looked fine.

Actuator and guibo reinstalled.

Clean as you go

Cleaned vanos solenoids MAF, easy to do an eliminates potential variables for a rough running motor.

The small pin arrived so I could connect my steering wheel paddles to the connector in the DME box.

Easiest coding ever: PADDLES Wert_0 to Wert_1 done

Driver side mirror had an issue with over extending and retracting, a pretty odd issue which slowly happens over time. I took the easy way out and swapped one of my old side mirrors and transferred the cap.

Did more "fun" creature comfort coding with a pint of fine San Diego craft beer.

Lowered the rear a few more millimeters, this is about as good as the fitment will get on H&R springs.

Time for the fun stuff, as I like to call walnut blasting: the right of passage for 1 year techs! Ha
The Harbor Freight media hopper shown here was replaced with a pressurized unit which still had some hiccups but was about x5 more efficient.

A new media blaster, lots of valves, pressurized air, and small pieces of walnut shells made for a mess when the lower hose popped off, media went EVERYWHERE. lol Lesson learned ...probably.

In the end I prevailed, here is a BEFORE & AFTER.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Siblings

Family Photo

Before & After on the Valves

Flushed front and rear diff fluid, I hate the smell of gear oil.

Decided to give the XHP X-Delete a shot. It allows you switch between AWD and RWD, the flash takes about 90 seconds.

Removed F Driveshaft to ensure no parasitic loss

M5 door handle/trim and individual for the front door cards which are on their way

M5 rear sway bar, M5 brakes, and RWD rear hubs

Stock Vs M5

Got an alignment done

Replaced electronic gear selector with the late model SAT unit

After

Coded the vehicle order to reflect the upgrade gear selector ($205 -> $2TB). GKE215 wasn't showing up in WinKFP so I couldn't update the ZUSB with the faster SAT trans software but will do later.

A couple glamour pics, can't wait to build the front door panels

Dinan muffler was way too quiet IMO, it sounded like stock. Sold it and did a muffler delete with a Vibrant tip. More sound, more character, less weight, and left over money to pay for more upgrades

Replaced broken cargo floor handle

Replaced missing outlet plugs

Headlight gasket were UV damaged

New OEM gaskets

Replaced old OEM bulbs with Osran CBIs

Replaced broken headlight housing cap

With some fuel mixture codes popping up and one time specifying Bank 1 I decided to replaced the Bank 1 pre-cat O2 sensor. What a pain. Had to remove liners, drop subframe, remove engine mount and engine mounting arm to finally get a wrench on that mofo.

For good measure I replaced all charge-tract related vac lines. This is also not particularly enjoyable especially with banana hands like mine, the heat shielding on the engine bay closely resembles cheese graters.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Your attention to detail is amazing. You do beautiful work.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Would love to find a bimmer buddy like you to hang out with! Amazing work and fantastic thread! Purely an inspiration!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
With the front subframe lowered to access the o2 sensor in the downpipes I noticed the engine mounts are a bit tired. I replaced the passenger side mount. When my white E61 gets it's fresh new RWD subframe (waiting for KWs to arrive from Germany) I will swap the complete subframe over to this grey wagon. The subframe from the white wagon is in much better condition with low mileage mounts, control arms, etc.

Snagged 2 sets of E60 M5 calipers and a set of M Parallels (for my E39 Touring)

M5 brake conversion kit for a 535xi: rotors, calipers, and rear hubs

Rotors and pads came off the same very low mileage car and the calipers were cleaned and inspected, everything looks good.

Size comparison of the rear rotors

Stock fronts

As a Southern California car with brake cooling ducts and large rotors these brake shields make zero sense so they (and all other shields) were removed.

You will need M5 specific rotor bolts for the fronts. I can confirm with years of use that M5 rotors will work on non-M front hubs but the M5 hubs to have 2 threaded eyelets for screws and also a studs to help keep the rotors centered, FYI.
Stock Left M5 Right

Fronts mounted

Annie nervous knowing how stubborn these rear axles/hubs can be.

Penetrating oil, 12 ton hydraulic puller, and a sledge to tap the hub. It's the recipe that worked for me when doing the rears on my white E61 and this got the right rear to release.

The left rear was much more stubborn. I used a torch to heat the hub up to about 400F to no avail. At this point my tools are a bit maxed out and the axles threads are damaged from the puller so I will remove the knuckle and have a local shop finish the deed.

I took a brake from the .....brakes.. LOL!!! and finished the front door panels.
Here are the donor panels I snagged off eBay.

Pretty good condition overall with some typical wear on the driver door handle

On my grey inserts you can see the top of the leather has been released like it came unglued.

Under further inspection it looks like this was a factory slip-up with not enough lather for the panel. The grey leather is about 10mm too short in contrast to the brown which full wraps around.

Driver door complete. Individual "Dirac" speaker grill showing off the upgraded DSP woofer and M5 door handle with padded leather is a nice touch to compliment the Nappa leather M sport steering wheel, and SAT gear selector. Nice surfaces to touch!

With the exception of black seat backs the custom OEM+ interior is complete. Very happy with how it came out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Time to upgrade the brakes

M5 brakes + RWD hubs assemblies

Rotor comparison (rears)

Dust shields get the boot to aid cooling

You will need an M5 specific rotor bolt. 535xi left, M5 right

You can sneeze and the fronts will install themselves, I wish I could say the same for the rears....

Annie knows...

For whatever reason these axles are a real paint to remove. On my white wagon both rears required penetrating oil, a 12 ton hydraulic puller, and some "love taps" with a 10 lb sledge hammer. I got the right rear to release with this method and when I say release I mean an ultra violent *BANG*. The left rear was not as cooperative.

I played around with some heat, got it up to about 300F (which I know isn't that hot) and then decided to let the professional handle it.

I removed the spindle and took it to a local BMW indy, unfortunately they didn't find any success with their 20 ton press and lots of oil. Took it to another custom fabricator who was able to get a saw between the bearing and spindle to cut the axle tip in 1/2. Fine by me since all I cared about was the spindle.

While the axle was making it's rounds at the shops I took the opportunity to execute some other upgrades and maintenance.
Replaced passenger engine mount

Flushed TC fluid

Replaced TC mount

New CSB

In the spirit of a clean OEM+ build the Vossens will be retired for some style 167 (M6) wheels which are coming off my E39, E39 has a set of M Parallels which are being refinished.

Personally I think these wheels look great on the E6X chassis, heck I think they look great on pretty much everything

As a bonus we will be saving about 10lbs each corner or unsprung and rotational mass!

For fun I threw the Vossens on the E39, excuse how horrendously filthy it is.

HHHNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!! Looks perfect but would rub like crazy

New control arms, upper guide arms, and (not pictured) ball joints

M5 integral links

Used my laser level to help with the control arm positioning.

Here is the difference between AWD and RWD hubs

Cleaned up the spindles a bit

Cleaned all threads and mounting surfaces before assembly, fresh locktite

Original ball joints coming out

Surface prepped prior to install

New ball joints and M5 links installed

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
One axle died in the m5 brake upgrade and the other had ~130k on it. Luckily I had an extra set of axles with about 70k on them.

Bleeding brakes

I need to adjust the parking brake and rebleed the brakes but here is how she currently sits

21 - 40 of 55 Posts