BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sunny day out I thought I took the car for a drive to work instead of my work beater... BOOM... Surprised!!!... by a massive pot hole in the beautiful streets of NJ of course. No other option than take it to the stealer who got away with $600 for a new tire and labor....

Great way to start my day!
I'm second guessing the RFT's... what do you guys think? what do you use?

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear about that. I commute from Clinton to Jersey City every day and play dodge the pothole on 78. Where did you hit this one?
I got hit on 21 close to exit 8 I think, there is a construction section that I was surprised by and couldn't avoid completely!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
ouch... very bad luck! a few weeks ago I picked up a small nail in my 70% tread close to the outer sidewall... I didn't drive an inch on the low pressure as I wanted to preserve a shot at fixing it without damaging the inner structure (used portable tire pump to inflate). Of course, it couldn't be plugged or patched given the location near the sidewall (the shop said had it been in the middle of the tire, they would have given a plug/patch a shot). Had to drive the beater for a couple of days while tire shop got their hands on a OEM RFT - fortunately it set me back only $400 as I avoided the stealer on this one.

I too am considering the move to non-RFT's when these wear out...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ouch... very bad luck! a few weeks ago I picked up a small nail in my 70% tread close to the outer sidewall... I didn't drive an inch on the low pressure as I wanted to preserve a shot at fixing it without damaging the inner structure (used portable tire pump to inflate). Of course, it couldn't be plugged or patched given the location near the sidewall (the shop said had it been in the middle of the tire, they would have given a plug/patch a shot). Had to drive the beater for a couple of days while tire shop got their hands on a OEM RFT - fortunately it set me back only $400 as I avoided the stealer on this one.

I too am considering the move to non-RFT's when these wear out...
the thing is that we can not move one at a time our can we? it doesn't make sense to have mixed tires lol or does anyone has actually done this?

how much are the non-Rf going for compared to the RF's?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Not sure about the performance but presumably you wouldn't want to mix. From what I've seen, good non-RFT tires can be had for around half the RFT prices. Easy to run price comparisons on tirerack.com

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ouch! I hit pot holes everyday here in NJ. There are so many here on RT 18, rt 9 and local rds. So far, I think my high profile 245x45x18 RFTs have helped. I may switch to 4 continental DW for less than a grant, once stock rfts are worn out. My other problem is that if you pay attension to the pot holes, you will not be able to watch out for cops.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Damn SDJB. That really sucks man. The potholes this year is crazy because of the terrible winter we had. The roads weren't great to begin with so its a disaster now. While I'm driving my beater, I map oit the roads with the craters so that when I drive the 6 I know where to dodge the bad spots. Once I'm done with these rfts I am moving to something else.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Ouch that sucks. Thankfully the wheel was not bent or cracked.

I would not switch over to non-runflats one at a time, do it all in one shot. Mixing tires of differing performance can be dangerous especially in the rain.

Just imagine your two rears having low grip in the wet (runflats) and the fronts having very good wet grip (Pilot Sport2). If you go into a high speed sweeper the rear can let go on you while the front still has good grip which will result in a spin.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Ouch!!! I love/hate the springtime!:mad:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Costs

My non-run flats ran (pun intended) me about $200 off a local craigs listing. They are 19 inch, 90% tread off of a 745 (one sidewall size taller). As soon as mine wear a bit more I'm going to throw the beasts on and see how they drive/look - 4 tires for two bills make it a hard proposition to not try.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Might want to switch fronts then the rear. After 2 sets of runflats in as many years, I finally switched to Conti DWS. Had less than 3,000 miles on the rears. Guess I'll sell them sometime. BTW - love the DWS.
+1 Conti DWS - Great Tires. I have about 4k miles on them hardly any wear and my runflats were over half gone at 4k and runflats cost more.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
+1 Conti DWS - Great Tires. I have about 4k miles on them hardly any wear and my runflats were over half gone at 4k and runflats cost more.
What kind of equipment do you carry if you get a flat?:dunno:? and how much?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dont you guys have wheel and tire insurance? Trust me it would pay for itself after 2-3 flats. A must have, especially with RF's.
How much is that and what its the catch? I don't trust the stealership

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.