BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
In Mod Heaven
Joined
·
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since its Sunday, I decided to do the Radar Detector install and M3 Lip Spoiler install. Total time was less than an hour for both.

I just rewired my Bel 980 using the DIY info for the V1. This setup is soooo much better than before. It only took about 30 minutes and the hardest part was getting the overhead lamp console to fit back as flush as it was before.

I have two pictures of the final project.

From the back seat . . .
 

Attachments

·
Into the dark ages
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
very nice...

quick question for you about the overhead light since you had it open recently. was the wiring harness a single plug? or was it 3 seperate plugs, 1 for the centre lights and 2 for the reading lights?

thx..
 

·
In Mod Heaven
Joined
·
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: very nice...

ChrisTO said:
quick question for you about the overhead light since you had it open recently. was the wiring harness a single plug? or was it 3 seperate plugs, 1 for the centre lights and 2 for the reading lights?

thx..
I'm a little confused about your question. Which wiring harness? There are two wiring harnesses already installed. I believe one is for the cellphone hookup and the other for the universal remote.

This is what the overhead light console looks like taken apart (picture courtesy of www.bmw330ci.com.)
 

Attachments

·
Into the dark ages
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
the picture answered my question

thx for posting the pic! if that is the map/centre light assembly that is exactly what i was looking for.

BTW sorry to hijack ur thread like that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Ackster,

nice set-up. I'm new to this board, but I been checking some threads occasionally. Anyway, i remember seeing a hardwire set-up for your radar on the dash. How did you set that up? Where's the connection? I'm thinking of doing that install once I get my ride. Any help would be nice...Thanks. BTW, I have a Bel too (Vector 936).
 

·
In Mod Heaven
Joined
·
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Jerzee46 said:
Ackster,

nice set-up. I'm new to this board, but I been checking some threads occasionally. Anyway, i remember seeing a hardwire set-up for your radar on the dash. How did you set that up? Where's the connection? I'm thinking of doing that install once I get my ride. Any help would be nice...Thanks. BTW, I have a Bel too (Vector 936).
I'm not exactly sure where the connection is for the dash install. I asked BMW to install the detector for me when I got my car and it looked like crap! That and the fact that they charged me $120 for labor!! :tsk: I just cut their hard-wiring and taped off the end of the wire with electrical tape.

This install is much cleaner. I think I ran the wire incorrectly though. It should run behind the headliner and not thru the center lamp console. I will have to redo this later this afternoon.

BTW, the install for this setup can be found here .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply

I was also thinking of setting it up next to the mirror. Only concern was if a cop was behind me, it would make it easier for them to see my radar...and I'm sure other cars will be right behind me also once they see it.
 

·
In Mod Heaven
Joined
·
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Thanks for the reply

Jerzee46 said:
I was also thinking of setting it up next to the mirror. Only concern was if a cop was behind me, it would make it easier for them to see my radar...and I'm sure other cars will be right behind me also once they see it.
You could always tint out your rear window and then this wouldn't be an issue. ;)

If the detector is dash mounted you will have the same type of issue with cops. I noticed its hard to see during the daytime from the front of the car. It is hidden somewhat by the blue tint at the top of the windshield.

Also, I know my Bel has a Dim feature so at night it is totally dark, there isn't much you can do about it during the daytime though.
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Ackster said:


Chris, when you did yours did you run the detector wire thru the top rear of the headliner? I ran the wire thru the center light console and it doesn't properly close. Thx.
Yeah I did. I used the same little "outlet" in the headliner edge that the rain sensor uses, so it worked out perfectly. It doesn't take much effort to slide the wire through there, so give it a shot.
 

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
Joined
·
2,192 Posts
Ackster said:
WebGuy330i - Well, I ran the wire yesterday and it was as easy as you said. What a difference in the way it looks - much cleaner :thumb:
Nice! :thumb:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top