BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, I have had some minor issues since I dropped off my car in Paris, including damage to my car after dropoff, and trying to find out what ship my car is on. I am in the process of trying to get to the bottom of the damage situation, as well as trying to fully understand the seemingly long time my car is expected to take to return here.

Without going into the boring details, it seems that my car did not get on the boat (Sirius Leader) until three weeks from my dropoff in Paris. I have been told by Harms that there was a ship leaving the port in Belgium (Zeebrugge) three days after I dropped my car off (I dropped at 11 am on a Monday, pre-arranged according to instructions).

Harms told me that I could not get on that boat due to the fact that the cars have to be at the port for "several business days" before the ship departs. Does anybody know if this is true? Or was this just unfortunate timing? To have my car sitting in Europe for three weeks seems like a lot to me.

Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
fishskis said:
Harms told me that I could not get on that boat due to the fact that the cars have to be at the port for "several business days" before the ship departs. Does anybody know if this is true? Or was this just unfortunate timing? To have my car sitting in Europe for three weeks seems like a lot to me.

Thank you.
Yes, it seems to be reasonable explanation. Remember, they don't book passage for your car until it reaches the port. 3 days is not enough to get it on the boat most of the time. My car was in port 4 days before a ship was leaving Bremerhaven and it did not get on that ship. My guess is it takes 7-10 days to book passage. Also, back in late march/early april, the gap between ships going to Port Hueneme is about 7-10 days. Later in April there was a gap of about 12 days before another ship set sail for PH.

Also, as for getting on at Zeebrugge, the same ship will probably pass by Bremerhaven as it makes through 3-4 ports of call in Northern Europe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
arnolds said:
Yes, it seems to be reasonable explanation. Remember, they don't book passage for your car until it reaches the port. 3 days is not enough to get it on the boat most of the time. My car was in port 4 days before a ship was leaving Bremerhaven and it did not get on that ship. My guess is it takes 7-10 days to book passage. Also, back in late march/early april, the gap between ships going to Port Hueneme is about 7-10 days. Later in April there was a gap of about 12 days before another ship set sail for PH.

Also, as for getting on at Zeebrugge, the same ship will probably pass by Bremerhaven as it makes through 3-4 ports of call in Northern Europe.
Thanks for the response. I guess I just had a bit of unfortunate timing. I assume that dropping off in Paris does not help the process either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
fishskis said:
Thanks for the response. I guess I just had a bit of unfortunate timing. I assume that dropping off in Paris does not help the process either.
Not really, since Zeebrugge is usually the first stop and then it heads over to Sweden to pick up Volvos and then to Bremerhaven for BMW's.
 

·
Happy as a snapping clam
Joined
·
812 Posts
I dropped off first thing in the morning of 5/13. I had some foolish hope that I might make it onto Alioth Leader scheduled to leave B'haven 5/18, but that would have been exceptionally lucky despite the fact that Munich is among the best places for a quick drop. If my current info is correct, I managed to get on the Pacific Breeze on 5/26, thirteen days after my drop. AZ Bob managed to get on Sirius Leader eight days after his drop (5/24 - 6/1 departure). My guess is that right now there is probably a minimum of six days from drop in Munich to loading and a maximum of about fifteen days. It would be nice to develop some data on this, but there may not be enough of us who are sufficiently anal to develop it.
I believe that BMW says to allow between six and eight weeks for redelivery. I suspect that over 90% of west coast deliveries are managed within eight weeks. Data estimates:
Drop off until
Scheduled Departure On ship to W Coast Unloading until redelivery Total
Min 6 24 7 37
Avg 14 27 10 51
Max 22 30 13 65

I am predicting my redelivery on 6/30 which would be 48 days from dropoff. I am guessing that you dropped off on 5/16. Sirius Leader was scheduled to leave B'haven on 6/1, so should arrive in Pt H on 6/28. I estimate 9 + 3 (repair) = 12 for redelivery to you, so you will have your car on July 11. This looks like exactly eight weeks after dropoff? If they can do this with your bad connection out of Paris, your repair, and Independence Day, they will be doing pretty well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
I think that is close to a bit optimistic. My delivery in 97, when I had some painting to be done was 10 weeks. This time it was 8 weeks exactly including 10 days in Munich for replacing the windshield and painting the hood. 6.5 weeks from re-drop off after the repair.

But Arnolds 7-10 days is about right from what I've been observing. And similar thing happened to me with a ship 3 days later, and then 10 days later for the Grus.

This picture here:
Grus in Europe

Shows where Grus stopped, Paris cars would have been picked up in Antwerp, then on the Rotterdam, finally the main stop Bremerhaven where Munich cars are trucked. Before leaving Europe a stop at Southampton, then across the Atlantic.

Paris does seem to be just a a bit slower than other drop off spots, but that may just be coincidence from a few posters here. All in all FishSkis, I think you are in the proper range of timetables. Djlfp, mine was 10 days for repairs both times, (when paint is involved) and Raywayski just had 12 days from port to Santa Barbara, about 40 miles from the Port, (mine was 7 for about the same distance) are you thinking your Washington delivery will take about the same?
 

·
Happy as a snapping clam
Joined
·
812 Posts
Revised based on input from e36M3r about time in Pt H to redelivery

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Min xx Avg xx Max
Drop off until Sch
Dep to W Coast xxxxxx 6 xxx 14 xxx 22
On Ship to W Coast x 24 xxx 27 xxx 30
Unloading til Redeliv xx 5 xxx 10 xxx 15
Total xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 35 xxx 51 xxx 67

I am not happy about the maximum redelivery time of 67 days. I suspect that when 49 days (from dropoff) have been reached in the VPC the car moves to the front of the line to help meet the eight week standard (and avoid the general max of 15 days from docking until redelivery).
Thanks for the Raywayski info. Do you know whether he had any repair work done?
I am hoping for ten days from arrival in Pt H to redelivery. Perhaps a better estimate is averaging your time and his and adding two days for travel. That gets me up to 11.5 days, so I will probably be picking up on July 2 + or - four business days. July 8 will be eight weeks from dropoff and 19 days from arriving in Pt H. Because of the way the weekends fall, I believe that I have better than a 90% chance of picking up the car on or before Saturday, July 2.
 

·
Happy as a snapping clam
Joined
·
812 Posts
e36M3r said:
Don't forget TGrays car sat on the dealer lot for 2 days before anyone recognized it!
I do not see how we can factor that in very well. Besides, he should have had the dealer staked out waiting for the delivery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
djlfp said:
I do not see how we can factor that in very well. Besides, he should have had the dealer staked out waiting for the delivery.
Yeah you would think the dealer would go above and beyond to make sure the customer gets his/her car back as soon as possible. But the truth about ED is this. You're down with, money in the hand, you no longer matter. Its just the way the sales cycle work.
 

·
Happy as a snapping clam
Joined
·
812 Posts
If we change the min and max for the individual trip segments to the 90th and 10th percentiles, I think the chart would look like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Min xx Avg xx Max
Drop off until Scheduled
Dep to W Coast xxxxxx 7 xxx 11 xxx 15
On Ship to W Coast x 25 xxx 27 xxx 28
Unloading til Redeliv xx 7 xxx 11 xxx 15
Total xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 39 xxx 49 xxx 58

I lost two days on the first segment which I think I will get back on the second. Because of the way the weekend falls (there is only one weekend during the last eleven day segment), I think I will do no worse than average on the final segment, so I renew my prediction of pickup on June 30 :angel: (if anyone happens to care).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
djlfp said:
If we change the min and max for the individual trip segments to the 90th and 10th percentiles, I think the chart would look like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Min xx Avg xx Max
Drop off until Scheduled
Dep to W Coast xxxxxx 7 xxx 11 xxx 15
On Ship to W Coast x 25 xxx 27 xxx 28
Unloading til Redeliv xx 7 xxx 11 xxx 15
Total xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 39 xxx 49 xxx 58

I lost two days on the first segment which I think I will get back on the second. Because of the way the weekend falls (there is only one weekend during the last eleven day segment), I think I will do no worse than average on the final segment, so I renew my prediction of pickup on June 30 :angel: (if anyone happens to care).
I care!

Hi John,

Actually, I dropped off on Monday May 9th, so depending on customs, VPC and the extent of damage to my car, I will probably be looking at 10 weeks, at least. Frankly, to have the car damaged in the Paris parking lot (mostly empty, btw) while it was waiting for truck transport seems ridiculous to me. Yes, accidents happen; but this is not like it was scratched while loading onto a truck, or slipped on the boat, etc. This damage should never have happened. Additionally, not being able to get accurate timely information about the accident and about the shipping status just adds to the frustration.
 

·
Happy as a snapping clam
Joined
·
812 Posts
fishskis said:
I care! Hi John,
Actually, I dropped off on Monday May 9th, so depending on customs, VPC and the extent of damage to my car, I will probably be looking at 10 weeks, at least. Frankly, to have the car damaged in the Paris parking lot (mostly empty, btw) while it was waiting for truck transport seems ridiculous to me. Yes, accidents happen; but this is not like it was scratched while loading onto a truck, or slipped on the boat, etc. This damage should never have happened. Additionally, not being able to get accurate timely information about the accident and about the shipping status just adds to the frustration.
I just sent you a pm. I would be willing to bet that you will have your car in less than ten weeks. I would say better than a 90% chance that you will have it on or before July 15, but so far I am operating on extremely limited data. I still think there is almost a 50% chance that you will have it by July 8.
When I get my car should provide some useful data for you. Again, best wishes for a perfect repair and a speedy redelivery.
 

·
Happy as a snapping clam
Joined
·
812 Posts
Using the min and max to the 90th and 10th percentiles and adding in fishskis data (he falls outside the most normal 80%), I think the chart should look like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Min xx Avg xx Max
Drop off until Sch
Dep to W Coast xxxxxx 7 xxx 13 xxx 19
On Ship to W Coast x 25 xxx 27 xxx 28
Unloading til Redeliv xx 7 xxx 11 xxx 15
Total xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 39 xxx 51 xxx 62
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
djlfp said:
I just sent you a pm. I would be willing to bet that you will have your car in less than ten weeks. I would say better than a 90% chance that you will have it on or before July 15, but so far I am operating on extremely limited data. I still think there is almost a 50% chance that you will have it by July 8.
When I get my car should provide some useful data for you. Again, best wishes for a perfect repair and a speedy redelivery.
John, :banghead: why get your hopes up, and try to pump everyone up along with you, it makes no sense? :thumbdwn:

Hmmm....
If you think 10 weeks and get 8, you are @%@#% happy!! :banana:
If you think 8 weeks and get 10, :mad:

Since I had a 10 week delivery the first time, I planned on that, ever so slightly hoping for a bit quicker. When I got 8, including the repair, I was very pleased. One missed connection or truck (or ugh... boat) and you are delayed 10 more days... I don't see your point in promoting the shortest possible times. :(
 

·
Happy as a snapping clam
Joined
·
812 Posts
e36M3r said:
John, :banghead: why get your hopes up, and try to pump everyone up along with you, it makes no sense? :thumbdwn:

Hmmm....
If you think 10 weeks and get 8, you are @%@#% happy!! :banana:
If you think 8 weeks and get 10, :mad:

Since I had a 10 week delivery the first time, I planned on that, ever so slightly hoping for a bit quicker. When I got 8, including the repair, I was very pleased. One missed connection or truck (or ugh... boat) and you are delayed 10 more days... I don't see your point in promoting the shortest possible times. :(
OUCH.
I guess I am not expressing myself clearly. I am not attempting to promote short or long estimates. What I am trying to do is collect data to establish normal delivery times. Perhaps I have foolishly begun my endeavor by assuming that BMW is accurate in estimating six to eight weeks for redelivery and concluding from that that 90% of redeliveries occur within that time frame.

My hopes may be unreasonably high, but I am surprised that you, the master of the watched pot :p, are the last person I would expect to flame me for trying to help people estimate when their cars will arrive.

Believe me, I would appreciate any information that you have suggesting that my estimates are unreasonably pessimistic or optimistic. From what you have provided so far, the average redelivery time for southern California is (14+5)/2=9.5 days. My suggested normal range for redelivery is from 7 to 15 days, with an average of 11. Wrong? Perhaps. Overly optimistic? I do not think so, but you apparently do. I would be thrilled if you had some data to help me refine my estimates, but if you do not, then your flames may be hot, but they will not burn through my light-weight flame retardant suit. :)

At any rate, compiling this data is interesting to me, but perhaps no one else is interested in estimating when his car will be available for redelivery. Please be assured that I will lose interest in twenty-two days when my car is redelivered. Am I counting on a June 30 redelivery? Of course not, but if it happens by then I will be as happy as you were when you saw what you thought was your car being driven away from Grus towards the VPC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
djlfp -

I, for one, appreciated your efforts. Like you said, it would be great to obtain a legitimate sample and put some science to delivery post VPC. Already it appears that I'm the exception to the norm which I hope continues so that I'll be back behind the wheel of my e90 on my home turf ASAP!
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top