BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing my own oil this weekend for the first time....it is a new (to me) car and the oil was last changed right before I bought it, but it's due again.

The online thread I read at my330i.com says to use 10w-40, but when calling the dealer, the parts guy said to use a 5w-30. Any thoughts? Pros and cons of each? HELP!!:eek:

-JP

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
jpfrog80 said:
I'm changing my own oil this weekend for the first time....it is a new (to me) car and the oil was last changed right before I bought it, but it's due again.

The online thread I read at my330i.com says to use 10w-40, but when calling the dealer, the parts guy said to use a 5w-30. Any thoughts? Pros and cons of each? HELP!!:eek:

-JP
I have always used 5w-30 in my 330. The guy I bought my car from said it's the correct weight to use. :dunno:

·
I run gentoo. You?
597 Posts
maybe since you are in texas, you should be using 20w50? i dunno, it depends on how hot it gets there. do you know if the present oil is synthetic or not?

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jillyjellyroll said:
maybe since you are in texas, you should be using 20w50? i dunno, it depends on how hot it gets there. do you know if the present oil is synthetic or not?
I currently have Mobil 1 in mine....not sure of the weight though.

-JP

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just use BMW brand 5-30. It costs the same as Mobil 1. Not a bad price. I believe if you are going to use Mobil 1, the BMW recommended weight is 0-40.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
jpfrog80 said:

-JP
I live in Fla, not far off your lattitude. I use 5W-40 BMW OEM.

·
Registered
158 Posts
jpfrog80 said:

-JP
You don't want, nor need to use anything other than 5W-30 Synthetic.

Whether you live in Death Valley, or Alaska, the 5W-30 "synthetic" can handle it. It can withstand very high temperatures, as well as has a pour point of around -40 F, for the cold.

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
Oil viscosity explained

Oil viscosity is the measure of oil resistance to shear at a certain speed and temperature, commonly known as thickness or resistance to pouring. It is measured in units called "Centistokes". Nomenclature we see on the bottle is rather misleading and causes a lot of confusion as shown in this thread.

Second number is the indication of oil thickness at operating temperature of 100 deg C. First number followed by letter "W" (for winter) tells us that oil will flow enough to allow for a start at very low temperatures. These temperatures vary from -10 deg C for 25W oil to -35 deg C for 0W oil.

For example, 5W-30 oil will have a working temperature thickness between 9.3 and 12.5 Centistoke units and will allow for a cold start at -30 deg C. 0W-40 oil will allow for cold starts even at -35 deg C and thickness range from 12.5 to 16.3 Centistokes at 100 deg C.

BMW approved oils will allow for starts at at least -30 deg C and operating temperature viscosity falls into 30 to 40 range so 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30 and 5W-40 will work.

LL01 approved oils that are recommended for E46s are required to have high temperature / high shear viscosity measured at 150 deg C of at least 3.5 units. This shows how robust they really are since there is enough oil film to lubricate really fast moving parts at high temperature.

·
2011 BMW 535 xDrive
39 Posts
I am using 5w-30 Castrol Synthetic in New York

·
Registered
158 Posts
Blinky330XI said:
So should I essentially switch to the 5w-40 for the warmer summer months? And the 0w-40 for the colder winter months?
You can run 5W-30 synthetic year round, especially in Boston, where it gets more humid than hot. I'm ashamed to say, I lived there for a while, attending college, so I know how humid it gets there.

I've run 5w-30 synthetic in temperatures of 100 F, w/no humidity, for weeks at a time, in the eastern part of Washinton State, where it's desert, w/absolutely no problems. This includes not having to even add oil. The same goes w/low temperatures, where they've been as low as -20 F, in the winter.

I'm presently running 0W-30 German Castrol Syntec in my 330Ci, here in the Seattle area, w/temperatures running in the upper 80's, low 90's. Again, no problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts