BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - sorry for another in the recent seemingly frequent tire threads, but:

My original tires (Michelin Pilot Sports) at 28K seem to be "groaning" at low speeds - I don't recall hearing this until recently. Its heard mostly at low speeds, i.e. less than 15 mph. It sounds like a "roar" or groaning sound is the best way to describe.

Tire depth is at about 5 mm, so I am wondering if its the tire carcass itself which is worn at three years driving?

I am tempted to go ahead and fit new PS2s (to match the rears, recently replaced.)

Wierd? Anyone hear of this before? :dunno:

·
Format c:\*.* /y
1,321 Posts
When I bought my '01 330i I was sure I was going to have to replace a front wheel bearing because of the loud roaring noise. Since it also needed 4 new tires I decided to play a hunch and replace them first. Sure enough, the roaring noise went away with the new tires.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got 4 Michelin Pilot Sports with about 31k on 'em. They've probably got somewhere around 40-50% of tread left.

They are loud. First 5k miles was quiet, then it became slightly louder and progressively so until about 20k where they just became annoying.

It groans at low speeds and high speeds. I believe it's louder at high speeds, but the increased wind noise may mask it and make it more noticeable for you at lower speeds?

Of the people I know with the same tires, some have super noisy ones like mine, others have much quieter ones with more mileage and less tread. I don't know what it is that causes the difference, but I'm considering getting luxury touring tires instead next time, even though they won't stick like glue.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas, I'll probably go ahead and order a new front set in time for next month's annual service visit.

(PS the tires are not rotateable, different sizes front to back)

·
Registered
742 Posts
wingspan said:
Thanks fellas, I'll probably go ahead and order a new front set in time for next month's annual service visit.

(PS the tires are not rotateable, different sizes front to back)
But are the uni-directional? If not, you can rotate side to side. It is this cross rotating that helps to minimize cupping.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Feathered?

Tangent said:
When I bought my '01 330i I was sure I was going to have to replace a front wheel bearing because of the loud roaring noise. Since it also needed 4 new tires I decided to play a hunch and replace them first. Sure enough, the roaring noise went away with the new tires.
The tires could be what tire guys called "feathered". AT 28K your most likely due for a new set particularly if your driving style is aggresive or what some call spirited. V, Z rated tyres are typically soft for enhanced traction. Feathered tyres will give you a not so phat sound.

·
Registered
979 Posts
KrisL said:
5mm is probably below the wear bars. Tires will make noise with time/wear. Just replace em.
5 mm is pretty good, about half the tread life. The wear bar are at about 1.6mm typically.

I wonder if the noise is due to partial de-lamination?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bet his alignment is out and his tires are feathering.
Pops' 328ci had the same problem. Quit hitting potholes so hard. And get a 4-wheel alignment before you get tires.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, just to post an update on this.

The problem is completely resolved. I bought 4xnew Michelin Pilot PS2s from one of the board sponsors (tirerack) and had them mounted and a four wheel alignment done at my last service (30K); no more noise. :thumbup:

Must have been the feathering / cupping (altho I have not heard of this) as the tires had approximately 4mm of tread left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts