BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backseater was screwing with the side curtain and now it's inop. It moves about an inch up then back down. Nothing in the tracks & I tried the 30 second button hold but that didn't fix it. Any other DYI tricks or is it back to the dealer?

·
Go Mountaineers!
627 Posts
First thing to do is smack any and all backseaters upside the head when they try to "Dale Griffith" the power shades. (Dale Griffith was the John Candy character in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" who broke the power seats in the rental car he and Steve Martin were driving.)

Sounds like you have something off-track or blocking the up and down motion of the shades. When mine was broken, the retractor failed, so it sounds like it was a different defect than what you're experiencing. Without taking anything apart, I would try to observe the unit in motion to see if anything is off-track or broken. This unfortunately is not a cheap fix at the dealership. Can you backcharge the backseater?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll start with the bitch slap, then take it to the dealer, hopefully a warranty issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hate to hear that. Last time my wife drove my car, she let friends ride in the back seat. One of her "friends" managed to write on the right C pillar with a ball point pen. I was pi**ed...........:mad:

Got it out though.....:) If anyone ends up in the same situation PM me for the removal steps.

Lesson learned, let no one ride on the back seat. Or passenger seat if you can swing it.

·
It's all about me!
1,519 Posts
I'll start with the bitch slap, then take it to the dealer, hopefully a warranty issue. Thanks.
A good "Bitch Slap" is the way to go! Next step is to ban anyone from the backseat where you can't keep an eye on them!

Good luck with the repair!

·
Porsche Ex-Pat
660 Posts
On mine, the leather can unstuck to the panel and was blocking the shade from going up and down. I am sure you looked in there and saw that this was not the case tho, right?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
the blinds are on a roll ! the mechanism is a worm / srew type arrangment that goes up the side ! this part is the only thing that can effect raising and lowering ! does it click when operating ?? one of mine had a clip missing from the guide rail , i got a new one but it wont stay in as it looks like it design to be anti trap !

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fed Up

After the 2 days of trying to see whats causing the problem, I am giving up. The frustration of finding what is probably simple solution has got me pissed & blood pressure is peaking. I'll try to forget about it & wait for something else to happen that will make me take it in for service and have it addressed then. Thanks everybody.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts