Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh and where is the antenna. Mine is missing one. Guess guy who had it befor me painted it and I dont see any holes anywhere where it would have gone....any suggestions on this so I can get Elliot in the morning....101.1

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
E36s don't have antennae, or at least not in the way you are thinking. Rather than having an external mast-style antenna, some of the wires in the rear window are actually your antenna. This has become commonplace in more modern cars.

If you aren't getting a signal, you may have other issues; perhaps the antenna cable isn't plugged into the back of the head unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i think its awesome that we don't have a protruding antenna, but my car gets horrible reception...how can i improve this? i don't listen to the radio much, but when i do. . .

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
i think its awesome that we don't have a protruding antenna, but my car gets horrible reception...how can i improve this? i don't listen to the radio much, but when i do. . .
Physically look on the rear window. Make sure none of the wires are broken. If worst comes to worst, you could buy one of the shark fin type antennas and rock that on the E36.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is there an aftermarket head unit in your car? Or recently been put in there?

When stock, the aerial cable in the car doesn't plug directly into the back of standard head units, and you need an adapter, or hack one together yourself.

The adapters are about $10, and should then adapt to the plug that your headunit will need. This is what I'd be checking before pulling your rear pillars apart :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea....!! aftermarket

Ah....yes. The guy did put a after market head unit in. When he sold the car to me he just said it does not have a radio. maybe he was fine with just cd. Sounds right. Where do ya get the adapter? What is it called? thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm sorry I don't know the exact name (I live in Australia as well so the places I've seen it probably aren't too relevant to you :p)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-Radio/E36-Radio.htm

Is a guide that sort of details the adapter, in Figure 17.

Note, this may or may NOT be your problem. Pull the headunit out (won't need to unplug anything) and you'll straight away see if it's there or not. The guy who had my car was lazy and this was the problem, I put in a new headunit anyway, and sorted it all out then :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts