BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the dealer installed option anti-theft alarm system really worth the money?

I have owned a MY2k 323 for three years and have never had any attempts at theft (that I am aware of). My new 330i will be here in a month or so and am wondering if I need to have it installed or not.

Your opinions really help; thanks!!

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
jk330i said:
just have them activate the "clown nose" underneath your rearview mirror. $400 IMO is not worth a simple "horn" unless you park the car outside and just need that "assurance".
agree! another option may be to install a driver's-door handle without keyhole.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
CD-55 said:

Did you just make that up..? I didn't know you could do that. Sounds risky if your remote(s) ever broke or got lost... I guess there's always the passenger side. :dunno:

Programming the clown nose to blink is the way to go... :thumbup:

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Chris330ci said:

Did you just make that up..? I didn't know you could do that. Sounds risky if your remote(s) ever broke or got lost... I guess there's always the passenger side. :dunno:

Yeah it is risky, the crook my now break a window to enter the car vs. break the lock. For all I know maybe the window is less expensive to repair?

I don't know how to get the part, but the way to do it is to get the left-front door handle for a right-hand-drive E46. Now you have no doors with keyholes.

·
Realtor/Mortgage Broker
185 Posts
Chris330ci said:

There is no keyhole on the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
CD-55 said:

That's definately the best option, and no chris he's not kidding. search here using the word "keyhole"

you can cover the keyhole on the drivers door, to stop the stupid thieves.

·
Registered
362 Posts
How do you have them activate the clown nose only? What turns it on, when you lock the doors or do you need a special remote?

I thought when you activate the alarm system, they replace your mirror with one that has a flashing red light in the bottom corner. That is what appears to come with the alarm kit for E46.

I think activating the clown nose alone would be a nice deterrent. Does anyone know the estimated cost to do so, or can I do it myself?

·
Registered
48 Posts
That would be a perfect soulution if they could activate the "clown nose" Do most dealers do that no prob? Also, if I get locked out for whatever reason, what are my options for getting back in aside from going home to get my other key? Can the cops use that sliding thing to get in? I have locked my keys in my car before when the alarm went off at a carwash.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
plugot said:
If the full alarm isn't installed, what activates the clown nose? And, what turns it off?
Your dealer (if he is being nice) can activate your "clown nose" without an alarm installed. He uses the same little computer hook-up that he uses to program things like the daytime running lights, automatic door locks, and other remote key settings.

What I meant by "being nice" is that some dealers might tell you that it can't be done (Bull s*it) some dealers will do it, but want to be paid for doing it. My dealer did it without my asking!! but, they said if I wanted to change program settings in the future, I'd probably have to pay service guy to do it.

When your car is locked, it flashes about every ten seconds or so, as if you have an alarm installed. Thats all it does, no horn confirmation or anything like that. For horn to work, you have to buy the alarm.

Also, If you want the alarm, it is much cheaper, and very easy, to purchase and install yourself. When your finished with the installation, just go back to your dealer to have it programed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts