BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the anti theft alarm with interior motion detector and how does it work and have you had any trouble with it

·
Alter Peter
533 Posts
Does anyone have the anti theft alarm with interior motion detector and how does it work and have you had any trouble with it
I had it on my Jag, when I left the dog inside it went off. So I eventually got a bigger dog and left the doors open :) Now on my M3 I leave the windows open so REX can just stick his head out the window and keep people away from the car :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got the alarm. Works well. Esp when I forget about it, lock the car with the top down, then grab something from the inside of the car. Other than that no trouble.

·
Registered
100 Posts
To get an alarm system in the current BMW line it has to be factory installed. Previous to March 2009 the cars were pre-wired for an alarm and a dealer could install one.
Real OEM shows one for O9 and up. Why could you not install it after the fact?
The funny thing is that the US version does not say kit or retrofit but the euro left hand version does and the images are all the same. It will only work if you do not have comfort access which I guess means you already have the alarm as part of the Premium option. Worse case order from overseas.

Im getting one for my wife's E89.

Did my E46 and it was quite easy.

·
Chairman of the Bored
3,285 Posts
The reason realoem shows it for '09 and up was because it was an option. What I was referring to was that a BMW dealer could install an alarm in a car that was not ordered with one in some cars that were built prior to March '09 because they were pre-wired for it. I know this is true for the 3 series but I do not know if any E89s has the pre-wiring.

·
Registered
21 X5 xDrive40i
640 Posts
It will only work if you do not have comfort access which I guess means you already have the alarm as part of the Premium option.
My 2011 was odered with alarm, CA, and no premium package. No trouble with mine so far other than as Marcw states.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
The UK brochure lists "Alarm system (Thatcham 1) with remote control and engine immobiliser" as standard equipment so our Z4 should have it.

http://www.thatcham.org/security/index.jsp?page=75&c=cat1

The alarm arms when you lock the car with the remote and disarms when you unlock the car with the remote. The clown nose blinks when the alarm is armed. We haven't had any problems with ours, but we've only had the car a month.

The e89 is easy to start with a blank key. Thieves use radio jamming to interfere with the remote. The alarm isn't going to help.

My advice:
Always make sure the car locks with the remote. If the remote isn't working, park somewhere else.
Don't leave anything valuable in your car.
Keep a low deductible (voluntary excess in the UK) on your insurance. If you lease (PCP in the UK), don't put in a large cap cost reduction / deposit. Make sure you have gap insurance. (most policies do)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts