BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

A noobie here with a question. Apparently my 2011 335d does not have an alarm system. Pressing the panic button on the remote does nothing. Please tell me the car does have some kind of anti theft protection even without an alarm? I do see a light lit up down near the gear selector (maybe near the P for park ?) which I hope signals that anti theft is active? Someone please relieve my stress. I'm not driving around with a "steal me" sign am I? Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
2,815 Posts

· Registered
987 Posts
If your car was built before a certain production date, the car is prewired and installing the sensors, motion detector and siren is not a big deal. Snipe did because his is a 2009. My car has a build date of Nov 2010 and it came with the alarm as part of convenience package. My car would not have been prewired had it not come factory equipped. During my vehicle search, I came across another unit that did not have the alarm. I kept searching until i found one that did. The first unit was built in May 2010. I want to say the cut off was a build date after March 2009 but this needs to be verified for those of you that have considered doing this. Without prewiring in the vehicle, installing the alarm kit means heavy disassembly to the point of not doing it IMHO.

I do tire rotations myself and the first time I did, the alarm was still on. After about three cranks on the scissor jack, it started screaming. Yes, the alarm is an annoyance but it has a tilt sensor, a motion sensor as well as sensors for doors or hood being opened. Yes, this alarm won't stop the car from being stolen but she will sure scream while be hauled away on a flatbed tow truck. I would bet the alarm would deter wheel theft at least.

solo alarm option cost was $500 versus ~$1000 for the convenience package (window shades, comfort assist key fob).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.