BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 525i m54engine.130k
I have checked the reserve tank and it isn't cracked, neither are the hoses coming from the radiator. Any ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Look down the left frame rail by heat controls valve. There are 3 or 4 heater hoses to the outside of intake manifold down low. If you are smelling the antifreeze inside the car, it may be the heater core giving out. Is the fluid level down in the expansion tank?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only smell the antifreeze when I put my nose on the kidney grills. No smell inside the car

·
Registered
346 Posts
You could have a leaking radiator. Pinhole from internal corrosion, or debris causing an external leak. You might see steam coming from the area once it gets hot. If you can see the radiator, an old motorcycle trick is to spray it with foot powder so any moisture becomes easier to see. Or remove it, take it to a radiator shop to pressure test and potentially repair.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Look for any white residue on all hoses, connections, fittings etc. you may have gotten lucky in that you smell the antifreeze in the engine space. If fluid level is down, there must be residue left somewhere. Now you just get in there and dig with a good light.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's crazy because I've looked all over for steam when he car is hot and nothing. I will try looking for the residue. Another thing is that the fluid level is exactly where it's supposed to be according to the stick.

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,963 Posts
Is it maybe possible it's your oil cooler gasket? does m54-have that? if it's gone oil and coolant can mix. Is your coolant coloured funny?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would take the car to a radiator place and have the system pressure tested. BMW dealers can also do this, costly though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts