BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Porleau
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drive about 7k miles per year which means I'm eligible for annual 'low mileage service' intervals as per 4/48 warranty. I recently had my car in for its second servicing in as many years and it included oil service and a number of filters, etc. It appears that the service interval was not reset as I get a red service due indicator whenever I start the car. Was the dealership supposed to reset this? Just wondering how these types of service visits are handled given the CBS model.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,826 Posts
Yes, the interval has to be reset manually. The dealer should have done it.

·
Porleau
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
When my '13 rec'd it's annual service the service indicator was never reset ... then when iDrive indicated it was due again (CBS="Condition Based Service) at that time the indicators were reset. Net net, that meant my car was serviced under the maintenance coverage twice a year - specifically, oil and filter changes done every (approx) 7,000 miles. That's the way it worked out for me with my car because of its in-service date and the number of miles (and driving patterns) it was driven.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I had done a search on this a few months ago and found multiple threads where people said that the counter wasn't reset for the low mileage service. It wasn't reset on my car either when it went in for a low mileage service. Three months later I went in again for the regular maintenance and this time it was reset.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
CBS (Condition Based Service)

I had done a search on this a few months ago and found multiple threads where people said that the counter wasn't reset for the low mileage service. It wasn't reset on my car either when it went in for a low mileage service. Three months later I went in again for the regular maintenance and this time it was reset.
Correct - that is the "appropriate process" that has been explained to me and followed during the past 8+ years for my 2 recent BMWs (then e60 & now F10) when a short cycle / low mileage service was performed ... later followed by CBS maintenance. :thumbup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
This begs the question: what is done at the low mileage service and then what is done a few months later at the CBS maintenance visit?

·
Registered
302 Posts
This begs the question: what is done at the low mileage service and then what is done a few months later at the CBS maintenance visit?
I had a low mileage service done in April - approx. a year since the last service. The service indicator was not reset - I asked my SA about that and was told-I should come back in 2 months/2000 miles when the indicator shows - it is time for service. Got another oil and filter change at no cost under the maintenance plan. The service indicator was reset this time.

·
Porleau
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting. I will call my SA about this as my CBS is indicating its time for service. Less that 3 weeks after low mileage service at the dealer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a low mileage service done in April - approx. a year since the last service. The service indicator was not reset - I asked my SA about that and was told-I should come back in 2 months/2000 miles when the indicator shows - it is time for service. Got another oil and filter change at no cost under the maintenance plan. The service indicator was reset this time.
Surely this is an error on their part. An oil change at 7000 and another a couple of thousand later makes no sense.

·
Registered
13,271 Posts
Surely this is an error on their part. An oil change at 7000 and another a couple of thousand later makes no sense.
Pre-MY14 F30 has 15k/2-yr OCI. There are charge codes for both annual low-mileage as well as CBS oil change, and the SAs just submit the bills to BMWNA. Eg. for my MY13, the low-mileage was done at 10k, and the CBS around 13k, and then repeat.

MY14 and on has 10k/1-yr OCI. It is possible by 1-year mark the 10k will not be reached, if so there will be a low-mileage oil change(e.g. 5k), and then a subsequent CBS oil change.

One speculation is that BMWNA moved to 10k/1-yr to reduce the annual low-mileage oil change during free maintenance period.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
So what should be done in a case like mine?

Low mileage oil change done recently. It's due again in about 3200 miles. Or I can wait about 11-12 months and have the final oil change done.

In other words, say:
option A
June 2016 oil change
Sept 2016 oil change 3200 miles later, oil service (which is mostly inspections and oil change)
June 2017 brake fluid change
end of free maintenance and warranty
paid oil change Sept 2017

option B
June 2016 oil change
Sept 2016 indicator lights up, ignore it
June 2017 oil service, brake fluid change
next oil change - June 2018

I think option B is more efficient. I think I will go with option A and just waste a little oil, which means that I have to do a paid one a few months sooner.

·
Registered
13,271 Posts
So what should be done in a case like mine?

Low mileage oil change done recently. It's due again in about 3200 miles. Or I can wait about 11-12 months and have the final oil change done.

In other words, say:
option A
June 2016 oil change
Sept 2016 oil change 3200 miles later, oil service (which is mostly inspections and oil change)
June 2017 brake fluid change
paid oil change Sept 2017

option B
June 2016 oil change
Sept 2016 indicator lights up, ignore it
June 2017 oil service, brake fluid change
next oil change - June 2018

I think option B is more efficient. I think I will go with option A and just waste a little oil, which means that I have to do a paid one a few months sooner.
My vote is option A, as it may not be a good idea to run way past CBS [email protected] miles to June 2017.

Once my free maintenance expires, my plan is to do intermediate oil change, e.g. if CBS OCI is around 14k, the intermediate one will be @7k(and safely ignore annual low-mileage as 7k will be within one year for my case).

·
Registered
646 Posts
My vote is option A, as it may not be a good idea to run way past CBS [email protected] miles to June 2017.

Once my free maintenance expires, my plan is to do intermediate oil change, e.g. if CBS OCI is around 14k, the intermediate one will be @7k(and safely ignore annual low-mileage as 7k will be within one year for my case).
I second this. And my plan is the same as yours after free maintenance expires, except I'm going to change it every 10k even though my CBS says 13k to go. Essentially, just change every 10k, reset CBS, repeat.

·
Registered
13,271 Posts
I second this. And my plan is the same as yours after free maintenance expires, except I'm going to change it every 10k even though my CBS says 13k to go. Essentially, just change every 10k, reset CBS, repeat.
Another alternative is to recode from 15k/2-yr to 10k/1-yr, but the service department said no. :)

Some maintenance items are tied to OCI frequency, e.g. with 15k/2-yr, the spark plugs are changed every 4th one, while on 10k/1-yr, the spark plugs are changed every 6th one.

So by resetting CBS early([email protected]), one needs to track some items by miles, e.g. spark [email protected] miles.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
MY14 and on has 10k/1-yr OCI. It is possible by 1-year mark the 10k will not be reached, if so there will be a low-mileage oil change(e.g. 5k), and then a subsequent CBS oil change.
Starting with MY 2014, the "low-mileage oil change" is gone. The CBS will call for an oil service at one year from the build date or around 10,000 miles (depending on driving patterns). At the CBS called oil service they will reset the CBS. It still ends up being an annual oil change, but it is not called "low-mileage oil change" any longer nor is it coded that way on the work order.

Looks like in the OP's case here the dealer done goofed and forgot to reset the CBS.

·
Registered
13,271 Posts
Starting with MY 2014, the "low-mileage oil change" is gone. The CBS will call for an oil service at one year from the build date or around 10,000 miles (depending on driving patterns). At the CBS called oil service they will reset the CBS. It still ends up being an annual oil change, but it is not called "low-mileage oil change" any longer nor is it coded that way on the work order.

Looks like in the OP's case here the dealer done goofed and forgot to reset the CBS.
Thanks for the clarification. So that means the low-mileage charge code cannot be applied starting MY14.

·
Porleau
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

This all makes sense as my MY14 has always indicated service just before the annual May in-service anniversary. Unfortunately, it is still indicating this following that service, which means a likely dealer screw up. And I was told never to bring the car in for service on a Saturday - B teamers only!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Some maintenance items are tied to OCI frequency, e.g. with 15k/2-yr, the spark plugs are changed every 4th one, while on 10k/1-yr, the spark plugs are changed every 6th one.
Ah yes, I forgot about those other things. Now I see why you time it so that the second oil change coincides with CBS oil change. Personally, I think less than 10k is a waste for modern synthetic oils. I am quite okay with 13k so I'll probably stick to that. Earlier it used to be 17k (more highway driving in my previous job), and if it ever goes back to that then I will do first oil change 10k, then CBS oil change after another 7k.

Starting with MY 2014, the "low-mileage oil change" is gone.............. It still ends up being an annual oil change, but it is not called "low-mileage oil change" any longer nor is it coded that way on the work order.

In that case, yes the CBS should definitely be reset.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. So that means the low-mileage charge code cannot be applied starting MY14.
Yup.

This all makes sense as my MY14 has always indicated service just before the annual May in-service anniversary. Unfortunately, it is still indicating this following that service, which means a likely dealer screw up. And I was told never to bring the car in for service on a Saturday - B teamers only!
Yep... it would appear so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts