BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
I did for a moment or two...then I realized the reason I didn't go with a Z3 is because I need a back seat.

I find the styling quite attracting, but would I find it attractive in 5...10 years like the E36 or E46? Doubt it.

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
Maybe as a second car when the 325i is paid off. Then again, maybe an M1 or M2 might be the car to get at that time.
:dunno:

·
Lap Dog
1,216 Posts
Are you kidding me? I can't get past the flame surface crap - the lines on this car are just too busy. It may be fun to drive but I doubt this car will age well. Plus, once you get to that pricing territory, the Boxster begins to look very attractive.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
people who buy 3er's are (generally) looking for a conservatively styled, semi-sporty daily driver with creature comfort features and 4-5 seat convenience. the z4 is on the opposite end of the spectrum and is ugly as hell.

·
3,440 Posts
After a test drive in a 2.5 Z4, that's a big negative. :thumbdwn: What BMW is asking (MSRP) is insane. Add the options and it can cost more than a 330Ci, which I rather have over an impractical roadster. :thumbdwn:

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
TD said:
IMO, there are only two recent BMWs uglier than the Z4. They are the E65/E66 7-series and the outgoing Z3.
Wow, you dislike the Z3 too, huh? I always liked it. :dunno:

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
I love the Z4, but it is no replacement for my practical 4-door 330i. I don’t have $40K to spend on a 3rd car, such as a Z4, so I am not considering buying one.

·
Lap Dog
1,216 Posts
Plaz said:
Wow, you dislike the Z3 too, huh? I always liked it. :dunno:
Me too. I like its retro touches and clean lines. It's what a roadster should be - raw, fun, and totally impractical :lmao:

·
Old Timer
1,002 Posts
z4's gonna need an emergency redesign just like the E65

while i'm sure the Z4 was "well-designed", it is too cerebral.

the great car designs that stand the test of time and become classics are not cars that need to grow on people and they are not cars that you need to be steeped into industrial design to "get".

the porshe 550 spyder? the ferrari 308GTS? the boxster? they all age well and are cohesive.

the new enzo is ugly, but at least you could argue that most of the features of the enzo are functional. the car has amazing downforce without tacky spoilers......

....what does the z4 have for its excuse other than "design uniqueness"? and at a higher pricepoint! silly german pretense and americans, while some are stupid, will dump this car on its head in about 3 years, if not sooner.

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Like the E65 I've grown tired of ripping it; they're both too easy a target and it just doesn't seem to be sporting anymore.

Just another recent BMW I'm glad that I'm not in the market for.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
Re: z4's gonna need an emergency redesign just like the E65

pdz said:
while i'm sure the Z4 was "well-designed", it is too cerebral.

the great car designs that stand the test of time and become classics are not cars that need to grow on people and they are not cars that you need to be steeped into industrial design to "get".

perhaps bangle's influence for the z4 was picasso. maybe he's ahead of his time. :dunno: perhaps he'll be considered a "great artist/designer" after he dies. we should help him to quicken his escalation to greatness! :thumbup:

·
paddle shifter
931 Posts
I have been thinking about it but can't justify spending the money for a car with two less seats. Although, I'm sure my mind would change if I go and test drive it. So for now, I will avoid trying it out because I know I will want it. Plus the girlfriend wants a Mini and would be mad as hell if I get the Z4.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well I think that Z4 looks like it could eat a Boxster for a lunch!

Z4 is a instant classic, best art needs time to get used to, just like songs and any art.
Just think about music, some songs are so simple that you may like it at the first time you hear it, but then you start to hate it. But some songs sounds complex at the first time, but after listening that song many times, you start to like it, and you like it longer.

·
Hated by hater haters
1,652 Posts
I like the Z4, but a nicely equipped 3.0i costs as much as my 530i did. And I wouldn't want a ragtop as a daily driver, at least not in St. Louis where it gets pretty cold.

My next car is an M3. I'm power saving for the next year and will sell my 323i to get a '04 Carbon/Cinnamon M3 (and keeping the 5er).

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
If I still lived in the States, and still had my former E46 M3, I'd certainly dump my former 325i in favor of a Z4 (although I find it a bit pricey).

·
Registered
144 Posts
JakeC said:
Z4 is a instant classic, best art needs time to get used to, just like songs and any art. Just think about music, some songs are so simple that you may like it at the first time you hear it, but then you start to hate it. But some songs sounds complex at the first time, but after listening that song many times, you start to like it, and you like it longer.
When I think of all the beautiful Ferraris, Porsches, Mercedes, BMW's, etc. that I love - I recall loving them at first sight (or at the very least LIKING them at first sight). I think the idea that good design has to grow on you is bull. The same argument was made about the 7, which seems to get more bloated each time I look at it. Poor design grows on you too - like a rash.

I don't always like a song the first time I hear it, but if it is a song that I grow to love my initial reaction is usually moderate interest or apathy - not strong dislike. When any form of art grows on you over time there is most often an initial appeal or interest that intensifies, not a revulsion that must be reversed.

·
Old Timer
1,002 Posts
agree re: car design.

automobile design that does not appeal immediately.......does not last very long.

and i think the answer to the viability of the Z4 will be truly found in its lease residuals or the residuals they hold after a year.

and those residuals are going to be heavily influenced by the discounting that is going to go on when sales are slow....just wait.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts