BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
End of this month I get to make my buy. Toss up between a BMW 328i/used 335i, or lease a 340i. I am seriously looking at the 535d though for gas mileage alone. Like the slightly bigger space to drive in as well.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I had a 335d but traded it before the warranty expired as there were numerous reports of CBU costing a lot of money to repair. Don't know if the motor in the 535d has been modified to mitigate this issue. I considered a 3 series when I was shopping but after driving an F10 I bought one instead. It is a very nice car especially for road trips. Very comfortable, decent room and trunk space. I get 30-35 mpg with my 528 ixdrive MSport on the highway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Opinion

Ive had the 3 series and I can't deal with the space. Im not a small man anyway but its too small. The 5 series is the best for me... Love it..535i...New 2011

·
Registered
515 Posts
42k+ miles in less than 2 years with my (US) 535d ... Averaging over 35mpg and not babying it whatsoever; a 90% of my driving is highway though.
Besides a faulty EGR valve early on (around 15k miles I'd guess), the car has been phenomenal, knock on wood.
As far as comparing it to the 3er...depends on what you are looking for as they really are a different class of cars. For me, there was no comparison ...if you liked the way the 5 feels and drives and can swing it- go for the 535d. Many say it's the perfect engine for the F10...I'm biased but I agree :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
I picked up my 535d in Germany two years ago and never looked back. The car is now 27 months old and has 35K miles on it. Other than some issues with the cameras (wiring), haven't had a stitch of trouble with the car. I may actually buy it when the lease is up. I have gotten as much as 45 mpg on the highway, but the average is 33-35.

·
Registered
171 Posts
42k+ miles in less than 2 years with my (US) 535d ... Averaging over 35mpg and not babying it whatsoever; a 90% of my driving is highway though.
Besides a faulty EGR valve early on (around 15k miles I'd guess), the car has been phenomenal, knock on wood.
As far as comparing it to the 3er...depends on what you are looking for as they really are a different class of cars. For me, there was no comparison ...if you liked the way the 5 feels and drives and can swing it- go for the 535d. Many say it's the perfect engine for the F10...I'm biased but I agree :)
What happened when the EGR was faulty?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have owned my 2014 LCI 535d since December 31, 2013. I have owned 15-20 cars, and this one is by far the best. It looks great, drives great, my lease payment is reasonable, and my MPG averages about 27 in mostly city driving. Hwy driving can average mid-30's and I got 50 once on a drive from Key West to Miami under exceptional circumstances. For me, the great mileage means that I have to go to the gas/fuel station maybe half as often as with a 535i/550i. My only quibbles are the replacement of tires at 30k miles ($1800 for 19" M Sport RFT tires), as well as a "different" steering feel that I have since gotten used to. Reliability has been ok (not perfect) and the included maint plan is a winner, although the newer maint plan is not as good. In other good news, the current residuals for the 2016 5-series are very high, so leases may be very favorable.

·
Glfbggy
636 Posts
We purchased our '14 535d xDrive on December 31, 2014. I then took it immediately on a 435 mile drive through mountains and minus temperatures to get it home. As it was a first trip and I have a habit of making sure I have a full tank of fuel when I enter the mountains, I filled up even though it was only a little below quarter tank roughly halfway through the trip. By the time I drove in the garage I realized I could have made the trip on a single tank. Since then we've driven as many as 550 miles several times without refueling and could have gone farther, but didn't want to chance it in unfamiliar areas (didn't know where the next station might be).

Comfort is fabulous, trunk space is wonderful (900 miles to Palm Springs without using a cargo box for two weeks of stuff - golf clubs, extra blankets for winter travel, food, etc. for the condo), get up and go is unbelievable (its faster than my '00 ///M Roadster.

My only disappointment is that the x3 doesn't come with the 3L diesel engine in the US.

Love the car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The 535d is amazing. Probably the best car I've ever owned, it's pretty much perfect with the DHP package (IMO). Fast off the line, quick on the highway, roomier than the 3, and amazing MPG. You can't beat that. I used to have a 535i but prefer the 535d absolutely - it's quicker, and it gets way better mileage, what's not to like?

In mostly city driving, my 535i averaged 18-19mpg, the 535d averages 27-28. On highway, it is about 27 vs 38. It's incredibly efficient.

Normally I wouldn't have looked for a Diesel but I assumed a lease and it's what I got, and I've been super happy with it. I would prefer it over a 535i no questions, if the math works out. You have to consider the price of gas vs diesel as well as your driving habits, and see if the extra cost for diesel is worth it...

Only hiccup was a CEL that had no detail in the iDrive, first a software update, then it came back, then a faulty sensor replacement, been fine. I don't know that I'd buy one outside warranty, but for a lease it's a no brainer for me...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hmmm...I don't quite remember but I think the check engine light went on (or check control message) ...dealer replaced it and it's been fine since.
I was thinking might happen the same to me, cuz my engine but 530d is shaking on cold start, glow plugs were changed, and still coming up the same issue, thought might be the air flow ****ed, cleaned the EGR, but the problem remains, so been thinking might be the EGR itself is ****ed :/ or maybe air flow mass sensor :/

·
Registered
111 Posts
What's not to like? It gets great mileage (I can go over 700 miles without fueling on my trip to NC.) and it pulls like a freight train. No problems with the engine after 23,000 miles. I would buy a diesel over a gasser any day, just because the torque is so addicting.

Drive one and see what you think.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Best BMW I've had so far. It has great power and reacts smoothly off the line in sport mode. It gets great mileage on the highway (40+) and the cost of diesel has been way below regular for a while now. This turned out to be an added benefit because it was more expensive than Premium when I first got the car. It's great for road trips, but IMO the luxury seats could be a little better. My rear always starts to hurt just before reaching Vegas from LA.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What everyone else said.:thumbup: I have 15k on a 2015 535d.No issues at all. ~28mpg city/suburban and ~35-38 hi-way at 80mph. I did get 44mpg on a short leg from San Jose to Carmel when we were taking our time.

If you go this route make sure you get the M Sport package, it tightens everything up in the handling end.

BB

·
Registered
340 Posts
Once you have one it's hard to go back to gas. You get used to 550+ miles per tank averaging 33-35 mpg.

On average, I was getting 23 mpg in a 535i, so the gas bill is considerably cheaper, also taking into account the 535i takes premium, and diesel in my area is equal to regular.

So far I haven't had a problem with it over 23k miles. It take the 535d over my old 535i any day.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a 535d that I just listed (lease assumption) over in the private party sale area. It is a very loaded 2015 at a very, very low monthly payment -- .75% of MSRP per month inclusive of So Cal taxes. Check it out!

FWIW I'm getting 34 mpg on mixed highway and local driving. It is a great car but mama needs a bigger house!

·
Glfbggy
636 Posts
I'll check it out for sure. I'm in Central TX tho.

How big of a let down is the -50HP compared to a 535i?
While I haven't driven the 'i', the torque of the 'd' is intoxicating....especially when you know you get comparatively great fuel mileage even when pressing the right pedal aggressively. As I indicated in my previous post, it is faster than my ///M Roadster. Acceleration between 30mph and 80mph is breath taking....especially in "sport".

Between here and the Oregon Coast it takes less than a full tank. I got between Reno, Nevada and my home just outside of Boise, quickly and still had nearly half a tank. Nearly made it 600+ miles between here and Las Vegas, but in the winter I was conservative and made sure I never got much below half tank...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
What's not to like? It gets great mileage (I can go over 700 miles without fueling on my trip to NC.) and it pulls like a freight train. No problems with the engine after 23,000 miles. I would buy a diesel over a gasser any day, just because the torque is so addicting.

Drive one and see what you think.

I'm only at 73k miles in my 2014 535d Xdrive. My first BMW. Absolutely love the car. If it were my only car, it would have a little over 140k miles on it. I drive around 1k miles/week so I need the diesel's fuel better fuel economy. I also like to drive and love the diesel's torquey performance. I've been driving diesel cars since 2002 and logged a combined total of over 800k miles since then. There is absolutely no way I'm going back to anything that runs on gasoline. Absolutely no more gassers! ALL future vehicle purchases of mine shall only be DIESEL vehicles. I'm way too addicted to the diesel's torque and efficiency to ever want to go back to gasoline. I currently don't own any gasoline vehicles (and won't).

I got my 535d in August 2013. The car was ordered on July 1, 2013, and production started the next day. The "customer sold" status on the order bumped it ahead of others in the normal build schedule. The build took about 2 weeks and then spent another 2 weeks going thru all of its quality checks before being delivered to the port to be loaded onto the container ship. I took deliver on August 14, 2013. It's the first one registered in NH, probably the first one in the New England state region, and probably among the first batch of them in the USA. I was watching and waiting for it to appear on BMW's website. My order went in about 24 hours later. I own the car outright, fully paid for before driving it off the dealer's lot. I can't lease due to the miles I drive plus I like not having car payments. The car is a long term keeper. I'm not worried about resale value or keeping it past warranty. When I sold my 2002 VW Golf TDI in 2010, it only had 361k miles on it and the car is still on the road today at 400k miles in the hands of the second owner.

I have driven a 535i Xdrive as a loaner car while my 535d was being serviced at my dealer (Tulley BMW in Nashua NH). I was able to drive under the same mix of city and highway driving conditions on routes that I regularly drive my 535d on so I could compare how it drives.

IIRC, the 535i's published 0-60 time is 0.1 sec faster than the 535d's 5.7 sec 0-60 time and the 1/4 mile time and speeds are similar. When it comes right down to it, those stats really only matter when you're racing. These numbers only tell part of the story. Although I drive spiritedly all the time, I care more about driveability under all the situations you encounter in normal everyday driving when you're NOT racing. I care more about overall driveability than being able to win drag races. And then the diesel's better fuel economy under real world driving conditions comes as a bonus. While both cars are pretty quick, they each drive differently.

In my mix of city and highway driving in the 535i, the slightest application of power almost always required a downshift, whereas the 535d was better at holding the gear it was in and simply driving the torque. The 535i always needed to downshift to get the RPMs up to where the torque is unlike the 535d which was already there. When pushed hard, the 535i required a minimum of 2 downshifts and crazy high RPMs in order to perform. The 535d would downshift too but usually didn't need to do a double downshift. Both cars have 8-speed transmissions. Overall I found the 535i to be all over the place regarding what gear it wanted to be in as conditions changed. The 535d required a lot fewer downshifts and was overall better at holding the gear it was in and simply driving the torque.

In my mix of city and highway driving conditions, both cars got the same job done but the 535i was a lot busier in the process. The 535d IMO drove 100% better due to the diesel's better low end grunt. The old phrase "people buy horsepower but drive torque" say it all.

The 535d wins in my book for driveability. The better fuel economy under real world driving conditions comes as a bonus. With my logging around 1k miles/week, I want both. I like being able to have my cake and eat it too. :thumbup:

Absolutely no more gassers for me!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
n1das, nice to read your positive review of your 535d. 73K miles with no major issues is great. No CBU? If so, this is good news as many 335d owners complained about this issue at about 40-50k miles. I might have to try another oil burner if BMW continues to sell them. The VW/Audi diesel debacle is hurting the impression of diesels by many folks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts