5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Any Autocrossers here?

nate328Ci said:

Anyone notice that an E46 M3 was on the cover of this month's issue of SportsCar, the SCCA magazine? It is auto-x'ing :angel:
And did you also notice that it is a lady driver?

Tomorrow, my lady and I will be autocrossing the gray car:)

BTW, I just moved to Ohio about 1.5 years ago. The previous 20 years were spent in Breaux Bridge, La.
I spent almost all of summer 2000 outfitting the Jefferson Parish Water Treatment plants with new instruments, controls and computer telemetry.

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
I first autocrossed in the mid '70s. Drove a Fiat 850 Spider, that got modded over time. By the time it got done is was a great AutoX machine. Lowered, BIG sway bars, Bilsteins, Abarth motor.

Just starting back again next weekend with the NCC of BMW CCA. Will be autocrossing both our M Roadster and out M3.

I am probably going to stay away from local SCCA autocrossing, because I think allowing R compound tires on Stock class vehicles is NUTS. $3000 per year tire budgets for autocrossing is CRAZY. For that much money I will go racing.

Unless I pick up a 125cc shifter kart, that would be fun to autocross. :)

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about sharing with me the specs on your SSR wheels...

Are they stock width and offset?
(what are the width and offset?)

I would like to put them on my car.
I too have (d/a) Koni shocks.

And have since put the Butt Strutt on my 99 M Rdstr.

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
Randy Forbes said:
How about sharing with me the specs on your SSR wheels...

Are they stock width and offset?
(what are the width and offset?)

I would like to put them on my car.
I too have (d/a) Koni shocks.

And have since put the Butt Strutt on my 99 M Rdstr.
Doesn't the Butt strut take you out of Stock class (SCCA)?

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pinecone said:

Doesn't the Butt strut take you out of Stock class (SCCA)?
The Butt Strutt is now on the 99 M Rdstr. I autocross the 01 M Rdstr.
Yes, the Butt Strutt is illegal in stock class.

I always remove the front strut when I compete, the picture of the 01 @ Detroit was the first one of the season and I was too lazy to crawl under there to remove it prior to the event. It has since been put on the old car.

G

·
Pinecone said:
Just starting back again next weekend with the NCC of BMW CCA. Will be autocrossing both our M Roadster and out M3.
Hey, I'll be there too. But, for me, it'll be only my second autox. So we'll see how it goes.

And CD-55 and SteveMD will both be there too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
since Nov'99

:thumb:

I've autocross my '99 M Roadster in the local BMWCCA events since Nov 99. I did one event in the local SCCA but the minor mods on my car (strut brace and chip) put me into ASP. So, I've stuck with local club events instead.

The car has since been modded with Dinan toys to earn its badge. Mods include stage 3 suspension, chip, camber plates, CAI, throttle body, etc...

The key characeristic of the car which seems to ultimately limit it in my judgment is the rear suspension. That's one reason to think about the "butt strut". Dinan also makes a rear treatment that would fall under "stage 4" treatment.

We have a great Houston club autocross series going this year. To see how we are doing check out our autocross page from the Houston Z3 Owners Group

www.houston-bmwcca.com/z3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.