Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
high end, son
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to pick up my new X5 in late march, and I'm looking for a nice rental for the family in the mountains near the BMW plant (no more than 1-2 hours away).

any recommendations are appreciated :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Nothing specific but you might want to check rentals in the Asheville, NC area. Another location a little farther out is the Gatlingburg/Pigeon Forge area in TN. Lots of rentals there.

·
Speed's mentor...
288 Posts
+1 for the Asheville area. We stay there at least 2 or 3 times a year in one of the many B&B's. SO many more things to do and places to eat plus you'll love the drive between there and Spartanburg. Just be careful, it's patrolled heavily.

·
Registered
79 Posts
+2 Asheville. Check out the Biltmore House if you head this way.
Another area to consider: Brevard, NC and Highlands, NC. Mountain resort towns with cute downtown areas.
We have always stayed with friends, but I have heard that there are plenty of rental properties available.

·
high end, son
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anything south of Asheville?

We have to drive back to south Florida after that, and i'd hate to make another 3 hour trip north of Spartanburg (6 hours total back n forth) to just see the mountains... :dunno:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
anything south of Asheville?

We have to drive back to south Florida after that, and i'd hate to make another 3 hour trip north of Spartanburg (6 hours total back n forth) to just see the mountains... :dunno:
Asheville is about 1 hour from the Performance Center. Are you going to spend the night ? Then it'd only be an extra hour on your return trip (maybe less if you come back via Greenville).

·
Driving 'en Plein Air'
2,274 Posts
Hello ssabiro :)

I have used VRBO a number of times and have always been pleasantly surprised. You can head towards Highlands and Franklin and find some great offerings without having to head north towards Asheville. Beautiful country! Or you could always find a place in northern Georgia and drive through Highlands after the PCD to get the taste of the mountains. Sort of make and arch and then start heading south again towards the Chattahoochee National Forest areas... about 4 hours. Don't know what is available in terms of cabins in that area, but again VRBO should give you some options. Then, as a starting point heading south you will shave off the time you wanted. Just time it with going around Atlanta and you'll likely be looking at a 10 hour run home.

Here is a link to a possible itinerary: MAP

Congrats on the new ride by the way :thumbup:

·
Driving 'en Plein Air'
2,274 Posts
Actually, just realized that it will take just as long to return from Asheville! LOL Oh well... so much for my advice :D

·
Registered
970 Posts
By the time you get to NC heading north from the PC you will be in the mountains. They actually start a few miles into SC. There are a couple state parks in SC that might be worth googling. Devils Fork State Park seems to have more water veiws but gets good ratings. Black Rock Mountain State Park seems to have more mountain views. Roads are going to be more fun but slower once you get off the interstates, of course. Easiest would be to pick a town, like Hendersonville, close to the interstate and see what is available.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions

1 - 10 of 10 Posts