BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BMW Enthusiast!
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up a 2006 750i build date 09/2005. no updates since then. there is a distinct different between this idrive, and that on my 550i. is anyone aware of any changes made from september on that would be noticeable?

for example -

1. every time i restart car, sometimes goes to FM, sometimes goes back to SAT. i left it off on SAT. but, it is in the main menu of sat, not the individual station, showing the group or song! (this was on the 550)
2. more settings available on idrive as opposed to having to go to dealer to change?

anything else? it is rather limited, quite honestly.

thanks

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts
wassy said:
i just picked up a 2006 750i build date 09/2005. no updates since then. there is a distinct different between this idrive, and that on my 550i. is anyone aware of any changes made from september on that would be noticeable?

for example -

1. every time i restart car, sometimes goes to FM, sometimes goes back to SAT. i left it off on SAT. but, it is in the main menu of sat, not the individual station, showing the group or song! (this was on the 550)
2. more settings available on idrive as opposed to having to go to dealer to change?

anything else? it is rather limited, quite honestly.

thanks
Correct, you have more opportunities to change settings on the 5-series (i.e. have the doors locked automatically when you start driving etc.).

I experienced that those changes in Audio-mode often have something to do with the key you are using (key memory feature where settings are stored in the key). I often thought "damn, all my station-memories are erased.." before I found out that that only happened when I used the spare-key (or the key I DIDN'T use when I made all the settings). This happend on the 760Li as well...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Go to the dealer and ask them for a software update. The Last Staion problem was fixed (sort of) on later softwae versions.
Also at some point, I think October 2005, they added to the navigation a Perspective Mode" where you see the map from a bird's position.
Also they took care of jerkiness in the transmission, changed the way that Bluetooth is paired (much better) and fixed a lot of problems like when you first turn on the car in the morning the car was wobbling for 30 seconds.
Also, when the weather gets below 60 degrees, you will find that there is a very enjoying noise coming from the windshield area, that is due to a gap that was too big and they need replace the rubber moldings.
I must say, that for a car of this magnitude, the 750 has way too many problems that it should (and I had 2 of them).
If you have any of the mentioned problems I would take the car to the dealer and let them keep if for a couple days to update the software.
Now, here is BIG TIP.
when they upgrade software, the car loses its custom programming, and you can ask them to program it for you prior to the upgrade, as they do it anyway, and it will be done for FREE. there is a 2 page form that has all the options. I chose to open all doors at once when I open one door, and I also opted to automatically lock the doors when the car moves. I also asked them to make the PDC less sensitive as it did not help me park in my garage.

Good luck, you got a great car.

·
BMW Enthusiast!
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am used to the problems with Bimmers. Had 3 E60's, and 6 E39's before that. the E39's were reasonable, the E60's were over the top, especially with noises. My latest, the 550i, bogged out almost to a stall at stops (lights), and when reversing).. this is the same engine, so you'd figure that they would be able to fix it, but NOPE!

so far, the 750i has been a dream. my only issue right now is a ticking sound from the steering colum when i turn it left or right. will bring it in in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
459 Posts
2006_750Li_ED said:
Go to the dealer and ask them for a software update. The Last Staion problem was fixed (sort of) on later softwae versions.
Also at some point, I think October 2005, they added to the navigation a Perspective Mode" where you see the map from a bird's position.
Also they took care of jerkiness in the transmission, changed the way that Bluetooth is paired (much better) and fixed a lot of problems like when you first turn on the car in the morning the car was wobbling for 30 seconds.
Also, when the weather gets below 60 degrees, you will find that there is a very enjoying noise coming from the windshield area, that is due to a gap that was too big and they need replace the rubber moldings.
I must say, that for a car of this magnitude, the 750 has way too many problems that it should (and I had 2 of them).
If you have any of the mentioned problems I would take the car to the dealer and let them keep if for a couple days to update the software.
Now, here is BIG TIP.
when they upgrade software, the car loses its custom programming, and you can ask them to program it for you prior to the upgrade, as they do it anyway, and it will be done for FREE. there is a 2 page form that has all the options. I chose to open all doors at once when I open one door, and I also opted to automatically lock the doors when the car moves. I also asked them to make the PDC less sensitive as it did not help me park in my garage.

Good luck, you got a great car.
Thanks much for the info. Will be a help when I take my 750i back in for the first time. Thus far, no problems with the car the way it is. Don't want to brag..... :eek:
vz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts