1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
where da clutch at ?
BMW 128i Convertible E88 N52B Executive Package
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
sorry, couple of questions on the old "Wellington"
Gonna try my hand at it for Christmas Lunch.

1> Can I use another cut of beef instead of tenderloin ?
2> How can I tell the doneness ? I have a thermometer can I use that to prick through the pastry
3> Any ideas on the right temp for a nice medium, more mid-rare, I'm the only one that likes mid-rare in my house. or is the temp the same for ordinary steak not wrapped, would the wrapping, increase the temp and make the steak more "done"
4> Any ideas on sides, thinking, Roast Pot's, Carrots, Gravy (ok jus LOL), horseradish sauce

Thanks

J!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,467 Posts
Hey,
sorry, couple of questions on the old "Wellington"
Gonna try my hand at it for Christmas Lunch.

1> Can I use another cut of beef instead of tenderloin ?
2> How can I tell the doneness ? I have a thermometer can I use that to prick through the pastry
3> Any ideas on the right temp for a nice medium, more mid-rare, I'm the only one that likes mid-rare in my house. or is the temp the same for ordinary steak not wrapped, would the wrapping, increase the temp and make the steak more "done"
4> Any ideas on sides, thinking, Roast Pot's, Carrots, Gravy (ok jus LOL), horseradish sauce

Thanks

J!
>1. Cut other than tenderloin? Of course, but you will not be happy and you will be on your own as to internal temperature and tenderness.

>2. Better a continuous remote thermometer. Temperature to doneness charts are common for all cuts. Proper placement of the thermometer is essential. The moment that you take the piece from the oven there will be a range of temperatures from hottest on the outer to cooler at the inner. Resting allows the temperature to reach equilibrium.

A presentation dish is not the place to suffer a misstep. It should be practiced ahead of time.

>3. The puff pastry will act just like a tiny additional thickness of the meat. For time and temperature of the meat it is inconsequential. Its purpose is to keep the paté and duxelles minced mushrooms in contact with the meat for flavoring. Watch the color of the filo.

>4. Yes, roast potatoes, but alternatively for more color roast winter vegetables. I would a deep green vegetable with the coin carrots, broccoli is my favorite (at almost every table). Certainly horseradish, but at least two versions for averse guests. Creamed horseradish for the averse and minced fresh for the horseradish aficionados like me.

Jus is just what it sounds like, meat juice. It is runny. Make a good thick brown gravy to keep the meat juice flavorings under control. If you know how, start with a roux and reduce a cup of the wine. But all that's on the internet. I inherited my mother's Gourmet Magazine three volume cookbook. Volume III is a Menu 'cookbook' with all of the subtle details of accompaniments.

Ahh, and the wine paring must be a hearty deep red! None of this pink or even Pinot.

Another opinion
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/213512/boeuf-en-croute

·
where da clutch at ?
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
txs Doug,

ok, so yeah, I'll stick with tenderloin
only immediate family, so if I goof up, no biggie
I have a remote thermometer

txs also googled up
"Even with that insulating blanket and a few chill cycles for the whole thing, we will still need to monitor the temperature carefully to achieve anything like perfection. Use a ChefAlarm inserted laterally into the loin through the pastry to track the meant’s internal temperature. Set the high alarm to 125°F (52°C) for perfect medium-rare."

ts man, appreciated the reply,
I know how to google,but nothing like asking "real" ppl there thoughts, ideas and experience :thumbup:

>1. Cut other than tenderloin? Of course, but you will not be happy and you will be on your own as to internal temperature and tenderness.

>2. Better a continuous remote thermometer. Temperature to doneness charts are common for all cuts. Proper placement of the thermometer is essential. The moment that you take the piece from the oven there will be a range of temperatures from hottest on the outer to cooler at the inner. Resting allows the temperature to reach equilibrium.

A presentation dish is not the place to suffer a misstep. It should be practiced ahead of time.

>3. The puff pastry will act just like a tiny additional thickness of the meat. For time and temperature of the meat it is inconsequential. Its purpose is to keep the paté and duxelles minced mushrooms in contact with the meat for flavoring. Watch the color of the filo.

>4. Yes, roast potatoes, but alternatively for more color roast winter vegetables. I would a deep green vegetable with the coin carrots, broccoli is my favorite (at almost every table). Certainly horseradish, but at least two versions for averse guests. Creamed horseradish for the averse and minced fresh for the horseradish aficionados like me.

Jus is just what it sounds like, meat juice. It is runny. Make a good thick brown gravy to keep the meat juice flavorings under control. If you know how, start with a roux and reduce a cup of the wine. But all that's on the internet. I inherited my mother's Gourmet Magazine three volume cookbook. Volume III is a Menu 'cookbook' with all of the subtle details of accompaniments.

Ahh, and the wine paring must be a hearty deep red! None of this pink or even Pinot.

Another opinion
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/213512/boeuf-en-croute

·
where da clutch at ?
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dammit I forgot the wine

I love a good Claret, but OH likes ice wine and vodka breezers... you can tell where sophisticated LOL
anyway, for me I have some MGD some breezers, B52's and Kalhua, planning on spending most of my time on the couch, or floor,
and sending OH and daughter to her "aunties" place, so I can get a bit of P&Q

·
Nuclear engineer
17,467 Posts
The history of Claret, the wine and the name, is the history of classical wine. Claret as the English, use the term, will do fine with English Beef Wellington.

We live in the best of times for cooking.

My kids, my daughter and SiL, will spend Christmas with her mother and that family. My SiL is a soon-to-be-great Executive Chef. If I stumble across his video I***8217;ll post it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,795 Posts
i

I do beef to 128F for perfect medium rare when cooking sous vide. HOWEVER, it can vary slightly based on the cooking method. If you are cooking in a hot oven, then the meat will continue to cook, and taking it out at 122 or so it will climb higher as it rests, up to +5F. With sous vide it will not climb.

Red wine reduction sauce, then a horse radish/sour cream sauce on the side.

My wellington gets a very very hot sear on a cast iron skillet,after generous salting. Then off, into the refridge for 30 minute. Then British mustard to coat, wrap prosciutto, duxelles and pastry....

·
Nuclear engineer
17,467 Posts
+1!!!

I asked my SiL about his motel sous vide Cobia video, but he has taken it down as too humorous for his position opening a new restaurant and putting his best foot forward for investors.

·
where da clutch at ?
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so some feedback/update,

well lunch took about 3 hours, wellington, carrots and pots and a jus, and a snacky breakfast,
inbetween drinking, MGD , coke and shots LOL

I think the hassle factor of the wellington, wasn't worth it, I didn't really like the duxxelle and not sure what the parma ham added.
The TL was too big and heavy, and the pastry got stretched and split while cooking in places,
BUT it wasn't too bad as a 1st attempt. I got a remote temp sensor and that was a God send.

Weird problem though took the meat up to 135 before pulling it out, let it rest till in was in the 140's

When I was cutting it, the two end pieces look medium well, the middle was a nice pink but on cutting and serving, it juiced up a bit "bloody"
so not sure what I did wrong, was aiming for mid-rare. The temp probe was a long one and must have been half way into the loin.

That said, famlliy loved the beef, love the crispy pot's and the jus was to die for.The pastry also came out great and much sought after.

It was a good experience in learning new things and wasn't a total loss.
But given the chance, nah, I wouldn't do it again

·
Nuclear engineer
17,467 Posts
We did Christmas Dinner for two other 'childless' couples. Beef tenderloin (cut by our Island butcher), string beans, garlic mashed potatoes, pickled vegetables plate, crusty bread, horseradish sauce (I had the real stuff), meatless mince pie, and pecan pie with hearty whipped cream (whipping cream, sour cream, vanilla, sugar, pinch of salt ). Wines were my house Pinot Noir, and the ladies had a sweet white that one brought and requested. San Pellegrino sparkling water.

Next up is Rabbie Burns' Birthday Dinner 25 January. This year with faux-haggis because I am NOT paying US$3 per ounce for imported no matter how authentic. Guinness stew, Cockaleekie, Neeps and Tatties, Oat and molasses black bread, Cranachan. Whiskey, wine, water. Pipes and poetry.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,795 Posts
Weird problem though took the meat up to 135 before pulling it out, let it rest till in was in the 140's
n
140 is well done. Are you confusing 'juice' with 'blood'?

We did an 18 lb bone in Prime Rib. Stunning. Edge to edge medium rare, out at 120F- rest for 30 min, sear at 600F to crust it.

Chocolate Souffles with homemade ice cream to end. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts