BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got production number and confirmation pickup date of Nov 8th! :D Woohoo!! I plan to drive across Europe for a few days and drop the car off at Heathrow, as I'm temporarily living near there - anybody have any experience dropping off in the UK?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I dropped off my car in London back in 2005. They wouldn't agree to a weekend dropoff no matter what. Other than that everything went ok. They are located within the Renaissance close to Heathrow. Shuttle (3 pounds) to get to the terminal from there. Are u looking for any specific info?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
am ver - nothing in particular, just any unexpected hitches, unusual requirements as the Brits sometimes do things a bit differently. Not worried about weekend dropoff.
Where in the Bay Area are you? I grew up in San Mateo.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Woodside here.

ohh.. and eeh... you know they drive on the opposite side of the road as we do right?! and good luck for clearing those roundabouts.

·
Flying Scot
33 Posts
Just got production number and confirmation pickup date of Nov 8th! :D Woohoo!! I plan to drive across Europe for a few days and drop the car off at Heathrow, as I'm temporarily living near there - anybody have any experience dropping off in the UK?
We dropped off at Heathrow in August last year. Booked a couple of nights at the Marriot Renaissance Hotel, because I thought it would be convenient to leave the car while we went into the city. However, when I got there, I found that the Renaissance had bumped us off to the Marriott Courtyard down the street, The bill for the two nights double occupancy, one Deli type meal, two continental breakfasts and one night parking was $ 940.00.
I did the same at Toronto Airport Marriott a month later and the bill was $ 435.00.
The Heathrow drop off was painless. The hotel desk called the agents office for me and they sent someone down to examine the car and drive it around to their storage lot. They then returned with the paperwork and went over it with me in the hotel lobby.
They then left again and returned with the date of departure of the ship from Southampton and the name of the vessel. They could not be more helpful. The process seemed a little "laid back" in a hotel lobby for the transfer of our "baby" into unknown hands, but my fears were groundless.
Heathrow Airport is a nightmare. The security and check in lines are endless. Even allowing the full three hours that they demand, it is not always enough. We did, but our delayed Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt; cost us our connecting flight to Detroit. We had to take the next flight to Chicago with a three hour layover for the flight to Detroit. Heathrow are opening up a fifth terminal, so the others are not getting the upgrades they desperately need.
The Chunnel is fast and convenient . Not as exciting as the car ferry, but an interesting experience never the less..
The UK is expensive. Everything is roughly twice the cost of what we pay in the States. But***8230;.. well worth the experiance
Just stay away from the ***8221; London Prices***8221; Remember the golden rule for successful driving in Britain***8230;***8230;***8221;Give way to anything coming from your right***8221;. particularly at the roundabout. Good luck, We envy you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, flyingscot. Kind of what I was hoping to hear. Since I currently live about 15 miles from Heathrow, I don't need a place to stay. My assignment here is ending and the way it's looking, both me and the car should end up in the US about the same time! I've been living here in the UK and flying in and out of Heathrow now for the last two years - it's no worse than other major airports. As far as the roundabouts, I love them. Once you get used to them, they are clearly more efficient than either stop signs or signals. Too bad the US could never adapt. If everyone obeys the rules, they work great. The Rotarys in Massachusetts suck because everyone says "me first"! In any case, I'm feeling more comfortable about the London dropoff. Cheers!

·
Sup3rman
1,213 Posts
The Chunnel cost for me was ~ $300 - a little pricey for me, but it was cheaper flying in and out of London.

The drop-off was painless, but we stayed at the Sheraton connected to Gatwick, and you drop off at Heathrow, so I paid for a 1 way bus ticket back to the other airport (~$40) , and while it was convenient, I didn't like the room compared to the other hotels. I will say that

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
as the Brits sometimes do things a bit differently.
Don't go the wrong way in a roundabout. There are signs and usually a car in front of you, but pay attention.

Speed limits are in MPH not KPH. If there is no posted speed, the National limit is 70MPH on a dual carriageway or motorway and 60 on a single. This often indicated by a white circular sign with a black slash. Automated speed cameras are in use.

UK gallons are a little bigger than US gallons.
Gatwick is not the name of a terminal at Heathrow. It is another airport.

And a few words of advice: Don't drive in central London.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts