BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like all I need to do is gently pry out the trim using a plastic prying tool, but I wondered if there are any special tricks to make the trim removal easier? This is on a coupe, and I only need to remove the trim pieces that are on the console (piece under passenger airbag, piece under center air vent, etc.)

I already checked out the instructions on e46fanatics.com.

I have no idea how tight the pieces are mounted, so it would help to know how much force I should be expected to use.

Also, is putting it back on just a matter of lining up the clips, and gently pounding them back in place with your fist?

-Al

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
alee said:
Seems like all I need to do is gently pry out the trim using a plastic prying tool, but I wondered if there are any special tricks to make the trim removal easier? This is on a coupe, and I only need to remove the trim pieces that are on the console (piece under passenger airbag, piece under center air vent, etc.)

I have no idea how tight the pieces are mounted, so it would help to know how much force I should be expected to use.

Also, is putting it back on just a matter of lining up the clips, and gently pounding them back in place with your fist?

-Al
What are you removing it :dunno: Do I here another DIY electronic toy install:confused:

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: Any good tips or tricks to removing the wood trim?

PM 325xiT said:

What are you removing it :dunno: Do I here another DIY electronic toy install:confused:
I feel the need to clean behind the trim. :D

Actually with the piece under the passenger airbag off, I may be able to finally get the rest of that shadow imprint of the airbag sticker that I can still see in certain lights.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Alee, I removed the center trim (above the radio) when I worked on the retrofit last weekend.

And guess what I used as a prying tool??? An used grocery discount card (quite like the plastic-ky credit card). Slide it under teh edges and slowing lift up the trim.

The trim is secured by two large pins, which of course you have to exert a bit of force to pry them out eventually. Are you in a hurry? If not, I will take a pic of the trim and the center console for ya later. ;)

alee said:

-Al

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Re: Any good tips or tricks to removing the wood trim?

VinceTopasBlau3 said:
And guess what I used as a prying tool??? An used grocery discount card (quite like the plastic-ky credit card). Slide it under teh edges and slowing lift up the trim.
I was planning on using my BMW Owner's Circle card. :)

The trim is secured by two large pins, which of course you have to exert a bit of force to pry them out eventually. Are you in a hurry? If not, I will take a pic of the trim and the center console for ya later. ;)
I'll figure it out. Just was curious how much force it'll take... I'm assuming it isn't like the shift knob. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.