Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some rather spirited driving recently and may have abused the clutch a little. What does a burned clutch smell like? I'm usually overly careful but this car is too much fun sometimes.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
richard said:
I did some rather spirited driving recently and may have abused the clutch a little. What does a burned clutch smell like? I'm usually overly careful but this car is too much fun sometimes.
Smells like victory. :lmao:

It smells like, well, like a burned clutch. :dunno: Kind of acrid... almost like an electrical fire kind of smell, but not really... maybe a cross between an electrical fire smell and the smell of scorched wood that you get if you apply too much lateral pressure while cutting wood with a circular/table/band saw?

Hard to describe.

The smell should be gone pretty quickly... you won't really know how much damage you did for probably tens of thousands of miles, when your clutch finally wears out. If it burns up before 120K miles or so, you abused it. :D

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Plaz...I really didn't detect an electrical type smell but maybe a little like wood. The car is less than 2 months old so I worry about it too much. I'm still trying to get used to that damn long pedal.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
richard said:
Thanks Plaz...I really didn't detect an electrical type smell but maybe a little like wood. The car is less than 2 months old so I worry about it too much. I'm still trying to get used to that damn long pedal.
Well, if you think you smelled something funny, and you think you slipped your clutch a little excessively, chances are you're smelling your clutch.

Not really a big deal once in a great while, I'd say. If you smell it on a daily basis, you probably should adjust your driving habits. :D

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
If you were doing some REALLY spirited driving, you might have smelled the brakes - they sort of smell like burning metal. It's one of my favorites.

·
10,856 Posts
If you smell it in the cabin, it's probably the clutch. If it's outside, it's probably something else. (Like the brakes.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts