Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a new mattress set. Was planning on getting another Simmons set (I admit--we're suckers for the marketing hype ref. Simmons' individually-wrapped coils), but I've had several salespeople (off the web) suggest we consider Spring Air (never even heard of them before today).

Went to their web site and it looks ok. Pls don't try to sell us on an S&F set (out of our league/budget).

T

·
0 Posts
Go to Joanne's Bed and Back and get their house brand mattresses. Best deal anywhere. You get Stearns and Foster quality for a lot less.

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Just checked out Spring Air on epinions and it has mediocre reviews at best. Maybe we'll check out the "S&F spec" mattress at Joanne's (although they're asking $2k for a king set, which is a bit rich for us), or else see if we can find another source for a generic S&F-manufactured set (never even lied down on an S&F before--are they really worth the money?).

T

·
0 Posts
hts said:
Thanks. Just checked out Spring Air on epinions and it has mediocre reviews at best. Maybe we'll check out the "S&F spec" mattress at Joanne's (although they're asking $2k for a king set, which is a bit rich for us), or else see if we can find another source for a generic S&F-manufactured set (never even lied down on an S&F before--are they really worth the money?).
In the other thread, I said it still wasn't cheap. But you sepnd more time on your bed that you do in any other single place. Cheaping out on your bed isn't a smart place to save, IMO.

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TD said:

In the other thread, I said it still wasn't cheap. But you sepnd more time on your bed that you do in any other single place. Cheaping out on your bed isn't a smart place to save, IMO.

I don't want to 'cheap-out,' but there's always (at least with me) a question of value and "good enough is good enough" (i.e., Passport 8500 for $299 is good enough, even though I believe the V1 at $399 is better). I'm prepared to spend UP TO $2k for a king size mattress/box spring, and was beginning to think that we could get a nice Simmons Beautyrest set that we'd both be happy with for around $1,500. At $2k-ish, you're looking at the 'bottom-of-the-barrel' in the S&F line (they go up to like $6k or more, if I'm not mistaken), so the question is this: in general, are you better off getting the (near) top of the line with a lesser manufacturer, or the bottom of the line, with a superior manufacturer?

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Yes.... I have experience... but I don't think you were looking for that kind of input... ;) :p

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sabrina said:
Yes.... I have experience... but I don't think you were looking for that kind of input... ;) :p

love to hear all about your experiences, ba-by!

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Sabrina said:
No but I'm glad I had an opportunity to give you some

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

No but I'm glad I had an opportunity to give you some
Some what?? :dunno: ;) :p

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
hts said:

love to hear all about your experiences, ba-by!
Oh sure... :rolleyes: :tsk: so you could share with your wife just like you showed her the pics in the negligee?? hehehe... I don't think so ba-by!!! ;) :p :p

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Sabrina said:

Some what?? :dunno: ;) :p
put in.............oops input:bigpimp:

·
Registered
93 Posts
We have a Chatham and Wells mattress (which is actually made by Spring Air just like Stearns and Foster is made by Sealy)

It is so comfortable. Firm yet soft. It's almost so comfortable you don't even need a pillow.

It was quite a bit more than we expected to spend when we went mattress shopping (~$4k for our model), but I've never slept better (and when I'm out of town, I always find myself looking forward to coming back home to my own bed). It stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter...

I figure since you a major part of your life sleeping that the cost really wasn't that much and that it was a good investment.

The only real con is that the pillow top is so thick that most fitted sheets aren't deep enough to fit underneath it. This is really only a problem if you don't make your bed every day (it slowly creeps up the side).

Warning: If you don't want to spend the money on one of the top-end mattresses DO NOT lay on them at the store. That's what happened to us :D (I think we actually sighed when we layed on it).

After laying on it, the others just couldn't compete.

We got ours at a mattress store, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them at Macys and stuff...

hts: about the "is it better to get the bottom line of a better company or the top of a lesser" -- would you more rather have a base bmw or a fully-loaded ford? lay on them at the store and make your decision. Most stores also have a 30 day "try-out" period...

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Tam, I'll check out C&W (although we've never heard of them before--probably because they're out of our price range).

JS--We'll also check out the tempur (interesting web site).

regards,

hts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts