BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finally got the car i've always wanted, just need to do a little customizing. I was thinking about starting with blackout grill and my bue and black roundels. think that would look nice ? Any ideas ?

Attachments

·
Topless Expert
94 Posts
Welcome, and congrats! Wheels are usually the biggest "appearance" upgrade, but for the smaller, basic upgrades, Solidjake has you covered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks
what should i do about the roundels? should I do the black and my paint color blue, or should i do my blue and silver? with the black grill. alot of people have said silver is good, but i really wanted to do black.

·
Registered
572 Posts
thanks
what should i do about the roundels? should I do the black and my paint color blue, or should i do my blue and silver? with the black grill. alot of people have said silver is good, but i really wanted to do black.
opinion are just opinion, in the end do what you like not what everyone else likes,. if your grills are in good shape just paint them and save the $45 for something else, if you do paint your grills you should think about painting the door trims too,.

·
Who is John Galt?
1,404 Posts
if you do paint your grills you should think about painting the door trims too,.
Yeah I agree, although I do like the way the chrome works with that color.

Also think about getting silver gauge rings to make your dash "pop" and give it a more upgraded look. Modifying the interior wood trim is also another common modification most do.

Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
opinion are just opinion, in the end do what you like not what everyone else likes,. if your grills are in good shape just paint them and save the $45 for something else, if you do paint your grills you should think about painting the door trims too,.
i never thought of painting the door trim's black. awesome
would you do that yourself like the grill? or.. no?

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
Of course, the 'Fest community may be able to offer a better appraisal of what to do to the car if more information was forthcoming. For example, year, mileage, whatever history is known, etc. Especially to make sure it is sound, maintenance-wise, before going for looks. Nothing looks worse than a dead car, no matter how flashy the exterior.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Of course, the 'Fest community may be able to offer a better appraisal of what to do to the car if more information was forthcoming. For example, year, mileage, whatever history is known, etc. Especially to make sure it is sound, maintenance-wise, before going for looks. Nothing looks worse than a dead car, no matter how flashy the exterior.
You can always set it in neutral and coast down some hills :angel:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Loving the ideas, thanks. The car runs great and im not really looking for appraisal for car, im keeping it forever haha. I get the bavauto mag and tempted to buy so much. Like The Remus Quad Exhaust and a Power Programmer but i don't know if its really worth it

·
Registered
572 Posts
i never thought of painting the door trim's black. awesome
would you do that yourself like the grill? or.. no?
you can paint the trims or use vinyl, i kinda like the chrome with the darker blue but thats me. if you getting new rims, wait and do a photoshop before changing anything.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Loving the ideas, thanks. The car runs great and im not really looking for appraisal for car, im keeping it forever haha. I get the bavauto mag and tempted to buy so much. Like The Remus Quad Exhaust and a Power Programmer but i don't know if its really worth it
intake and exhaust does nothing for our cars. if want sound sure, some of us with a limited budget delete the muffler :thumbup: (sound good IMO).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After i use the pasti dip do i put a clear coat or anything on it. how many coats of plasti dip do i use? so far plasti dip is looking great.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Cheapest thing to do is probably the red gauge needle mod, and it looks really nice, especially with silver gauge rings
Solidjake has a nice DIY

·
Cogito Ergo Zoom
3,579 Posts
I did plastidip and used 4 coats but I'm anal that way. I only did the grill surrounds and left the slats chrome . I really like the way it looks but as someone else said "opinions are opinions". No clearcoat needed on the plastidip.

I did my door trim in black vinyl from ebay . (i forget what it's called . Maybe search BMW Vinyl Trim). All the pieces above the windows come off easily. The pieces below the windows are a real b&%*h to get off. To avoid bending them , I left them on , wrapped them with windows open to be sure to completely cover , and then VERY CAREFULLY , trimmed the excess with a very sharp exacto knife.

Good luck and welcome to the dark side.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,961 Posts
I gotta be honest, I have painted my grilles black and white (both colors) and can tell you that the paint doesn't seem to hold up. Of course, I can't find plastidip so I have never tried it. Anyway, my point is that I think the $45 for Jlevisw.com's black grilles is worth it for something that won't peel or chip. Love the car, tried to buy one just like it (and a 5 speed) before I got mine but it sold too fast.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks like your tint is a little purple, I'd have it pulled and retinted the same darkness all the way around. I did that when I bought my car and it made a huge difference. For exhaust, consider the UUC setup. I thought it would be too loud for me but it's perfect. Loud when you want it to be and quiet when you're just cruising. I feel like a teenager again driving in parking garages setting off car alarms! And the best part is no drone! I was pleasantly surprised about that one, I thought it was just marketing hype...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow thought some one would have said something about tint earlier. bothered me a whole lot but getting it replaced this weekend. Yeah i never heard of plasti dip til solidjak. went to lowes and found a spray. worked real nice, i just didnt know if a clear coat was needed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts